Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 1/17 Mt Cabot 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

1/17 Mt Cabot
Due to the not so fantastic weather trend as of late (well, in my book anyway) I was planning on hiking to both Cabot & Waumbek today, to make up for no hike over the weekend.

However, the Mr & me are working on finishing up a new room at home, and, well, we didn't wake up till almost 8am this morning :shock: So after doing the normal household chores, and getting my gear ready, I realized this double-header might have to wait for another day. Shucks.
Oh well, getting out for part of the day is much better than not getting out at all.

Mt Cabot trail from Jefferson.

Barebooted, on the ever so thin snow cover on the trail, up to the far bank of the brook crossing. This trail has had consistent use this Winter by the looks of it. I strapped on the snowshoes at this point, as the snow actually appeared to be getting deeper - yippee. Up at the cabin, the 2 signs were encased in rime ice to the point of not being able to read them, and the windows of the Cabin were totally frosted. From the cabin to the summit, drifts have formed across the trail. Not too deep, but understandably so due to the winds this past weekend. The sign at the summit was rime free ~ interesting. No wildlife spotted, but lots of their tracks were evident around the trail. My thermometer read 25 degrees on the summit.

3 hrs 25 min round trip. Dang, wish I could do Waumbek too today. Oh well, mad dash home to PAINT :lol:

Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:45 pm
Master Mountaineer

Perhaps the sun's UV warms up the cabin signs so that the moisture in the clouds gives them that lovely coral look. The summit sign gets only a bit of sun mid-day. Most of the signs w/rime ice I'm thinking about are above tree line. My theory about that.

Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]