Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Flume - Garfield 1/13 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Flume - Garfield 1/13
It was hard to be disappointed with the conditions on this day. I hope for LOTS of snow for Winter hiking. Dreaming of it is what gets me through the long months in between March & December.

But it was undeniable......... this Friday the 13th was stellar. Tim & I met at 5am at the Garfield Winter parking area. He brought his cordless drill & a bag-o-bits, as I was in need of some new bucky-beaver-bites (boot screws). We left one car, equiped with change of shoes & FOOD for our hike-end. The Notch roadway was quite slippery this AM, the salt trucks were out in full force. The summits were clear & the moon was bright & almost full.

We parked at the AT parking lot just North of the Flume Visitor Center. Getting our packs out of the car, I realized that I had filled mine the usual way, which meant my headlamp was in a stuff sack somewhere near mid layer in the bag.............. I never need my headlamp in the morning :lol: We did a short cut through to the bike path, where we found a thin snow/ice layer on the pavement. The day light softly filled in as we hiked along the Liberty Springs / Flume Slide trails. The forest is beautiful at this hour of the day, and watching the terrain lighten as we moved along I was filled with a sense of calm. Unlike my companion, I hardly ever start hiking at this hour of the day. Time passes quickly on these hikes with Tim. As soon as we rondevous, we start bantering and joking back & forth without missing a beat. Great fun.

To our deliglht, we find the slide in really good shape. Mostly covered in a slightly firm corn snow, and very few patches of water ice, that were easily by-passed. Our footing was very secure in screw boots, though we had brought our crampons, we never used them. As we neared the top of the slide, looking towards Liberty, the light was golden. The Flume slide trail from Flume to Liberty was very firm, again, screw boots allow you to move along with sure footing. On both Flume & Liberty, there wasn't much of a breeze, though the Ob's site had indicated winds in the 30 - 50 mph range. As we headed off Liberty we bumped into one fellow & his very happy dog. It was nice to be greeted by this wriggly, tail wagging pup, as I had quitely slipped out of the house not disturbing my 2, and I look forward to the "good morning" I receive from them both each day. Dogs have a way of making you realize that every day is a good day.

At the junction of the Liberty Springs trail, we did indeed find this section of the Franconia Ridge trail leading to Little Haystack to be lightly traveled previously. We walked a short distance, and realized that the treadway was not firm enough to move along without sinking a bit here & there, so on went the snowshoes. What a racket they make in these conditions :!:

Over on Little Haystack we met the only other hikers we would encounter, 3 young lads who were soaking in the views. The views were indeed incredible. During the above treeline stretch, Tim took lots of photos. That was the real mission of this hike, photos of the White Mountains in Winter, and he found some nice offerings for his lens despite the lack of snow cover. Some of the vegetation was quite vibrant, and we wondered if it had to do with the recent rain & warm temps. In the col between Haystack & Lincoln, the wind increased. It relaxed again up on Lincoln.
As we started up the last pitch to Lafayette, it strengthened again, and relaxed slightly on the summit. For the section from Lafayette to North, it strengthened more. At least it was at our backs. I'm not a fan of wind that pushes on me hard enough that I stagger step.... the wind almost crossed that threshold, but I didn't do the stagger-stagger-crawl-roll, so all was fine. Once passed North Lafayette, the trail & terrain was encased in a thick layer of ice and firm snow. Again, our screw boots made our footing secure. Immediately upon entering the woods on the Garfield Ridge trail, we put on our snowshoes. Here, the warm temps & filtered sun had softened the snow pack, and as we had assumed, the trail didn't show signs of recent travel.

The Garfield Ridge Trail was in really good shape, concerning bend-overs & blow downs. I believe there were only about 3 to 5 smallish dead trunks that crossed the trail. When we reached the summit of Garfield, we could detected that it had been visited by folks earlier today, as there were fresh MSR prints in the snow. Though the wind was brisk on the summit, it wasn't cold. After a quick snack of "Lance cookies" we headed down the trail.

From the snowmobile trail crossing to the trailhead, snowshoes are not needed, as there isn't much of a snow layer left :( The last section, where the re-lo was done a few years back, there isn't any snow in the trail, just a thin layer of ice. However, the road still has good snow on it, and ski tracks were evident on the surface. We made it to our waiting vehicle & the after hike food ( :!: :!: :!: ) at 5:10pm. I still would rather get started for a hike at a more civilized hour & come out after dark, but I can't say I didn't enjoy this hike.

Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:03 am
Master Mountaineer

Wow!
What a hike and a heck of a trip report.
Some day, I'm going to bring pizza and beer for after the hike.
Stellar, yes! I'll join you real soon. A great trip report. Happy hiking. Thank you !!

Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:30 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

:D
Mtn Magic ~ You're a north country kid, have you had GH Pizza :?:

Their Vegi rocks :!:

As I say very often IT, always comes back to FOOD :!:

Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:27 pm
Master Mountaineer

Ooohhh, that great Gold House pizza in Littleton, YES!! It really is tasty. All their food that I've had rocks big-time. It might all come back to food, isn't food important to maintain our life? Especially after a hike, er I mean one heck of a haul!
:D

Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:36 pm

Another amazing trip report Cath!!!!

If you give me a 6 hour head start on a 7 hour hike, I might be able to keep up with you. :wink:
Bill

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:36 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

:lol: You guys are too funny.

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:24 pm
Master Mountaineer

Quote:
Dogs have a way of making you realize that every day is a good day.
I'll remember always that you said it best. How wonderfully true!

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]