Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 North & South Carters 
Master Mountaineer

North & South Carters
Trails: 19 mile, Carter Dome, Carter-Moriah, North Carter, South Imp.

Date Hiked: 1.7.06

Conditions: Excellent due to the hard work of the AMC croo cutting the many downed trees on 19 mile, Carter Dome, Cartier-Moriah, and Imp trails. A good dozen trees have fallen since their clearing, mostly on the Imp trail. Great hard packed snow to hike on.

Special Required Equipment: Snowshoes to keep the trails well packed though we bare-booted the entire loop on this day.

Comments: We stopped to chat with Meb & her two companions, otherwise we saw only one solo hiker early in the day. Another super day to hike and view the mountains with a great group including Wildpeaks, Lawn Sale, Pucknuts, Gary, & ghostdog.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:39 pm

Hey Magic,

Another great day in the mountains! The views from the summits were a little disappointing, but some of the views from the outcrops certainly made up for it!
I sent you some pictures last night and I also have the GPS map of our route (in case anyone else might need it too....please just PM me. It's Garmin software I use).

I'm not sure about Jefferson next weekend and this is one I'd really like to bag so keep me posted if the trip gets postponed.

Great time with you, Garry, Lawn Sale, and Tom (Wildpeaks).
Bill

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:51 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Nice Loop guys. Mike Walsh is responsible for clearing the Carter Dome Trail. Kudos to him :!: :!: :!: No small task. The Carters were some of the very first Winter summits for me & my friends back in the early 90's, but I think we did them all individually back then :oops:
I remember this HUGE snow drift up at the summit clearing of the Dome.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:53 pm

Great post Cath!!!

I can't agree more. Our fellow hikers that take on the responsibility of caring for the trails and adopting trails of their own really need some recognition. Here it is the middle of winter and we could clearly see a lot of work is constantly being done to the trails especially when it comes to clearing blow downs.
One of our hiking group on Saturday, Garry, has adopted the Greenleaf trail and explained that in certain areas (WMNF if I remember correctly), chain saws are not allowed so all blowdowns have to be cleared by hand.
This is something I didn't know and gives me even more respect for those that maintain the trails

Please remember to thank the people that adopt the trails and the trails croo's if you happen to meet them in your journeys. They do this all year long and not just on Trail Day.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]