Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Willey's 12/30 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

The Willey's 12/30
Drew, Jeff V & I agreed to get a more civilized start today, AND to let things dry out a little from yesterday. We met at the Highland Center at 11am, drove down to the Ethan Pond trailhead to leave a car, and got out on the Avalon Trail by 11:30am.

We were pleasantly surprised at the trail conditions, on this day after the latest RAIN event. The trails to Mts Tom & Field have been traveled quite a bit this Fall & early Winter, so they are well packed, and we were able to bare boot up to Tom & over to Field. The brook crossing down at the very beginning of the Avalon Trail wasn't a problem at all. We made good time, and arrived at the col in time to meet fellow Brutus Brigade member Terry & 3 of her friends. We chatted and fed the 3 Grey Jay's, and then they headed for Field & we scurried off to Tom. No views today, as the clouds hung tough.

We had the summits to ourselves on this day, and another Jay joined us over on Field. The wind wasn't noticable on Tom, but it was on Field. I checked my thermometer which read 10 degrees. We strapped our snowshoes on as we headed off toward Willey, as this section of trail doesn't ever seem to get as much foot traffic as the other trails. However, the footing continued to be great. But when we arrived at the View spur over on Willey, we could see that the treadway descending was not going to be as nice. We switched to crampons, as it appears most of the foot traffic has been without snowshoes. The trail was a mess with froozen, tho shallow (6") post holes. The ladders weren't too scarey, though some folks might find it easier to face the ladders & back down them. They are not totally buried in snow, but the treads are covered in snow/ice. Once down off the steeps, we took off the crampons. We were delighted to find the Ethan Pond trail to have previously received lots of foot traffic, and that section of trail was nicely packed too.

Just before reaching the Ethan Pond trailhead, we heard BOOMS and noticed the Western sky light up with Reds & Whites. FIREWORKS!
They were having a celebration either at Bretton Woods, The Mount Washington Hotel, OR in honor of Sherpa John holding a 48 viewing at the Highland Center.

Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:45 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Great report Cath, keep 'em coming. It's nice to know people are still up for hiking in the winter!

Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:30 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Chris ~ Winter IS the only hiking season :lol:

Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:46 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

not
no it is not :lol:

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:45 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Well, I know for sure that spring time is the "run from the bugs flailing your arms" season, not a "Hiking" season :wink: .
Brian

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]