Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Mount Agamenticus in early November 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Mount Agamenticus in early November
A dirt_girl greetings to all my old friends and to those of you I've yet to meet !!! :D

:arrow: Monumental posting! dirt_girl puts on her boots and ventures out on the trail.... after September!!!

While hiking I wondered if there was a hiking list of Maine's Smallest!! This peak certainly qualifies! Reaching a stunning elevation of 692 feet above sea level!!! Many multi use trails make this a very popular spot. However, the parking lot was full but we saw a total of only 4 people including the time on the summit!! We took a hiker only trail and this may have something to do with the privacy we experienced, seems most people mountain bike or ride horses on Agamenticus. It was a beautiful, quiet and effortless day spent in the company of a girl and her raven.
In southern Maine, just west of Ogunquit is the beautiful and historically impressive Mount Agamenticus. After spending the summer watching the sun set behind one of the few mountains visible from the waters off the southern Maine coast. The watchful spirits of Agamenticus drew me to the summit. Known in the early days as Sasanoa's Mount, this beautiful little triple mountain rises as the last sigh of nature's glacier upheaval. Sasanoa's Mount has been a welcomed sight; guiding mariners home from the sea for hundreds of years.
In the 1940's during WWII the mountain top was used as a radar base by the 551st. Signal Battalion of the U.S. Army. Approximately 25 soldiers were stationed here during the course of the war. The first arrivals lived in tents until the barracks were built in 1942. There was one civilian, stationed in the forest fire lookout tower. In the winter of 1945, the entire complex was destroyed by a raging fire. Perhaps the civilian was sleeping? Structural evidence of the Army base can still be found about the summit and has been protected and incorporated as part of the park history and visitor enjoyment.
From 1966 thru 1974 a ski area operated on the mountain. A 2500' double chair lift, a 1500' T-Bar lift and a 300' rope tow were put into operation. The T-Bar lifts weathered remains still stand along some trails as talisman of memories. Mother Nature has persistently recovered many of the ski trails, nurturing them to there original beauty. The empty summit lodge that remains today was once used as a restaurant and ski rental shop. Just one of many ski areas that have vanished http://www.nelsap.org/ over the years.
The fire tower is also still standing at the summit but is off limits to the general public. There has been a fire look out tower (twice built) on Mount Agamenticus for 87 years and has quite a history too! http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/can ... .htm?20056
We spent three hours rambling around the trails of Mt. Agamenticus and taking in really great views from the perch built on the summit for that purpose. A highly recommended hike for really young and really not so young hikers or any one else that wants to spend an idle day in the company of Mother Nature and her friends.
Well, there you have it.
My next post will be in the spring, regardless of how many taunting e-mails I receive.
I see patches of snow outside my window.
Burrr
Peace
dirt_girl

Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:14 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Hey, nice trip report dirt_girl! Glad to see you back here. I'm trying to get out myself, I still haven't been able to cash in my Father's Day present, which was a day of hiking with no guilt or obligation. :) Maybe in a month or two.

Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:47 pm

Hey Dirt Girl ,some of those low hills are just as exciting as the big ones. Glad to see your getting out. Looking forward to some miles with you next year!

Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:15 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Correct. :!:

It isn't the elevation that matters. :roll:

I did have a great day. :D

I have just scratched the surface of learning, the history of this mountain and others like. History interest me. I'm thinking, I would now like to hike all peaks with existing fire towers, an unofficial list of my own. However, I have absolutely no desire to begin this "list" untill the snow has gone from the majority of the peaks. Silent, you and Grace are on my list for so many hikes next season. I sure enjoy y'all's company. We'll see if we can drag Magic and Ghost along too!

It's only a little over 4 months til spring! :shock: Woohoo!!!

Hibernating until then...
dirt_girl

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:54 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Hey Chris? If you don't use your vacation day before the end of the year, does it expire?

Can you accumulate 1 day for each Father's Day and do a multi day hike in 2008?

I'm KIDDING!

Hope you get out and about soon and have a safe enjoyable hike!!

dirt_girl

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:02 pm

I know of a list somewhere that lists all the former fire tower peaks of New Hampshire. It's in the "Wanderings Through the White Mountains" book by Steve Smith on page 124-25. Very good book, I might add. There is even mention of the Flags on the 48 event in there.

Grace is looking forward to it Madison. We'll hit a couple peaks to help you get close to 48.

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:36 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Father's Day Gifting
Hey! No encouraging Chris to take longer hikes. . .at least not until he's not traveling for business or our daughter is older than 2 (or 3).

Until then, I need the back-up on the weekends and evenings! Now, he's welcome to use vacation time for day hikes. . . :P

And hey, when he can actually bring our daughter with him, well then, he can go for several days! And I'll catch up on some sleep.

Happy Trails!

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has his foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:04 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Hey Cal, Thanks buddy! :D
I have made note of the book and will probably pick up a copy. I read more books in the winter than any other time, nothing else to do...I'm not going outside unless I have to!! :?
Say hello to your sweet, funny woman for me.

Hey PamelaAnn... Woohoo... you go girl! :wink:
I raised my two boys with no back up what-so-ever :shock: so I completely understand!!
My bad, I shant, even in jest, ever encougage again. :oops:

Oh, I really liked your quote too.

dirt_girl

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:31 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks for the kudos on my quote; I loved it the minute I read it! Hubby forgets I miss hiking, too. I'm just not so interested in going by myself as he is! Probably because I'm not as experienced, and thus as confident, in my hiking skills.

Soon, soon we will all be enjoying the out-of-doors! Our daughter and dog would live outside if we let them (although our dog is afraid of the dark; yep, the 75lb monster is afraid of the dark!). I suspect there will be many, many outings in our future!

Are the boys old enough for group outings, or are they old enough that you're no longer cool to be with? :wink:

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has his foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:08 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I'd LOVE to take my wife and daughter hiking! We just have to plan now for a weekend next summer, or it will be taken by something else!

Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:12 pm
Master Mountaineer

How about a nice winter hike way before next summer. Tis the season to hike!

Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]