Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Lafayette - Nov 6, 2005 

Lafayette - Nov 6, 2005
It’s been over a month since I’ve been on the trails and I was itching to get out. Brownie called me last week and had the same idea....we need to get out!
We heard there had been snow in the Whites so we were hoping to break out the crampons and snow shoes.
We decided to head up to the Whites on Sunday the 6th and had to choose between Lafayette on the Franconia Ridge or Jefferson. The weather was going to be our deciding factor and where it was so foggy when we got to Franconia, we decided to stop there and hit Lafayette.
We had done the ridge for Flags on the 48 the year before but had gone up Falling Waters and down Old Bridle, so this time we decided on going up Old Bridle Path and if it cleared or if it wasn't raining, we’d hit the ridge to Lincoln and Little Hay Stack, then down Falling Waters.
The trail was fairly dry and there are minimal problems with blow-downs the entire way plus there was almost no snow and the trail was in good shape, so the hike up was very uneventful. The only problem was figuring out the layers. It wasn’t cold but the wind was whipping and it made for some chills anytime we’d stop for a breather.
However, the fog was so thick that we only had 20-50 feet of visibility all the way to the summit and the wind gusts were easily up to 40 MPH and maybe higher at various times. It made for an interesting ascent and by the time we hit the summit, we had decided that the wind coming from the south was going to be an obstacle, but the zero visibility was going to be a problem trying to cross the ridge. We ate a quick lunch in what little shelter we could find and decided to head back down via OBP. For us, today wasn’t a day for peak bagging and crossing another hill off a list as much as it was a desperate day to get out. So having accomplished our task, we took a leisurely stroll back down OBP just admiring the cloud formations and how the wind was helping produce a great cloud show. We had only gone about ½ a mile when the ridge cleared out from the cloud cover and we finally had some views (this trail provides some incredible views of the Franconia Ridge!). We could see a few people on the ridge (all going S to N) and the sun even popped out for a few seconds. We were able to take a couple of pictures but by the time we hit the Greenleaf Hut again, the clouds had comeback for the rest of the day.
We were back at the parking lot at about 4:30 when another lonesome hiker who had done the ridge stopped by to catch up. It was none other than Mt Magic!
We hadn’t seen each other since Flags this year so It was great to bump into him, I only wish it was earlier in the day so we could have done the loop together. No list is as important as hiking with friends so I’m sure we’ll hook-up on the next one….whatever it may be.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:56 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Sounds like a good trip. I'm jealous. That's one of my favorite hikes.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:15 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Bill, you have pics for this one? I miss the photos of your trips in the Readers' Trips section!

Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:49 pm

Hi N,

It is a great ridge...just wish we could have seen it! :shock:
We did have about a 1/2 hour break in the clouds where we got a couple of views, but for the most part it was windy and foggy all day.
Still rather be there than anywhere.

Hey Chris, I just emailed a few photo's. Do you know of a way that I can post the pictures directly without a link?

Thanks!
Bill

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:07 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

There is a way to post without a link, but it would require some changes to the forum. I'm working on a solution to that, will post something when I have it. Cheers!

Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:06 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Pucknuts61 wrote:
Still rather be there than anywhere.

Exactly my point. ;)

Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:18 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, I cant wait for the day I get to do the Franconia Ridge! Next year Im making it a point to get er done :lol: .
Thanks for the report Bill, cant wait for the pics.
Brian

Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:38 pm

Cool Trip Bill! That ridge is just the perfect place to mellow out your brain and take in the views even if there aren't any.

Brian, Save Franconia Ridge for a super day, granted you may have to share it with a hundred other folks but it's truly one of those "PERFECT HIKES".

Perhaps a future Hike-NH event for next spring!

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:43 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

SilentCal wrote:
Perhaps a future Hike-NH event for next spring!

Count on it! MY daughter will be raring to go next year, so we plan to get out a bunch and I'd love to get this one in!

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:48 pm

You got it Chris! As long as the weather is good along the ridge. I've been stuck up there twice in heavy rain and it making footing a little dicey in some areas. Maybe we can hike it on Flags planning weekend. Granted though, on Garfield last year we ran into snow about halfway through the switchbacks.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:54 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

This was a great trip! I have done the "ridge" so many times before, I didn't really care to go headwind into a viewless treck just for the sake of it.
The Lafayette summit was more then enough fun for the day and all I needed!
We got some cool shakey video using the new cameras. The wind was easily gusting to 50 on the summit.
And I only slipped and fell on my butt once :shock:
I took advantage of the sporadic snow patches to snowball Bill in a barespot or two. :twisted:

Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:42 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Brownie wrote:
I took advantage of the sporadic snow patches to snowball Bill in a barespot or two. :twisted:

That's the Brownie we know and love!

Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:14 pm
Master Mountaineer

Ghostdog and me battling the strong windy ridge that day. This is a beautiful hike whether for the views, the aerobics or both. And at 8.9 miles it's about a 6 hour hike, though a bit longer in the winter using crampons/snows. Fun, fun, fun!

I'm game for this hike again during any season. One of my all time favorites in the Whites. Yes, let's put this hike together!

Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]