Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 10/4: The O's by Headlamp 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

10/4: The O's by Headlamp
Lolly and I met at the osceola Trail trailhead at 5:30PM. I was ready to go for a change so on the packs went and we took to the trails.

There were a few hikers coming out from their day of hiking as e were heading up. Of course we exchanged pleasantries but we were also asked the usual, "do you guys have headlamps?" YUP! Heck.. lolly actually knew a guy... she knows EVERYONE!

Few spots down low were rather muddy water flowing from rocks made things slick in spots. I was in a rather sour mood.. have been the last week really. A lot has been going on in Sherpa Land and it was nice to finally get back on the trails after taking the past weekend off. The discussion.. as always.. made me feel better. Hiking is truly my therapy.

Just below the summit we stopped to look west. We watched a HUGE pink sun slowly sinking below the horizon. The mountains were a dark blueish gray and the sky an array of color. The folliage below made for an excelent scene!

We continued to the summit of Osceola reaching it at about 6:45 (I think). We enjoed the views far and wide. The fog and haze was settling into the valleys now.. the last pinks and oranges disappearing on the horizon. Mountains peeked thru the fog setting up a mystical view. We then headed for East Osceola.

On the way out and back from East Peak we took the "around" route at the Chimney. Just before the chimney we finally put the headlamps on. It was cool to be up on the ridge after dark.. still working on the 48 X 2 for the calendar year.. don't think I'll ever finish because of mommy nature.

We headed back to Osceola then back to the cars. On the way down we reached a switch back I remembered being not far from the bottom (so I thought).. and lolly said.. "we have a ways to go yet, we still have to walk through that really dark section." Funny.. it had been a DARK section since 7.

Back to the cars for 6:51. 3 Hours and 16 Minutes total trip and ANOTHER neat trip in the dark. Gotta do it again next week for round 3

Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:04 am

SJ, I wouldn't worry about Mother Nature. I actually think it's easier to hike at night in the snow. The headlamps and moonlight make for a really cool way to hike, and the snow reflects more of the light so it's easier to see. It might be a little slower.
Keep me posted on the 22nd....and glad to see you back out on the trails,
Bill

Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]