Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 9/13: UP Falling Waters... DOWN Old Bridle 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

9/13: UP Falling Waters... DOWN Old Bridle
Yes yes... the traditional loop. Yet this was the first time I had done it in this direction. I have ALWAYS gone up (17 times to be exact) Old Bridle Path 1st, then across the ridge and down Falling waters. But after much discussion Firefly suggested the reverse route.

We waited in the parking lot for Lolly to show up until we recieved a phone call saying she would not be able to attend. Wicked Bummer of course but we were rearing to go. It was 5:11pm and after another days work.. we were off on another edition of after work hiking.

We argued in the lot for a bit about what to hike. Firefly wanted to switch our plans to do Kinsmans and Cannon because they were not in the clouds... and Franconia Ridge had been all day.. so we hear. But after talking with a couple who had just made it down... and hearing the rocks were dry.. we decided to do Franconia Ridge after all.

At the Falling Waters Junction, Firefly wanted to go the way I suggested and I went to go the way SHE siggested. "For the love of god!!!" I yelled and I dragged her... well... her way. We met a few parties coming down as we went up Falling Waters Trail. We reached the summit of Little Haystack at about 6:33PM.

We were in the fog and the winds were calm. We worked our way across the ridge as I listenned to Firefly's stories of an old friend. It was eerie up there. The further north along the ridge we went, the harder the wind blew and the faster the clouds scurried across the ridge. We reached Lafayette at 7:16PM.

We began our quick descent towards Greenleaf knowing full well that our daylight was all but gone. We were placing bets on where the clouds would break.. and I won. The clouds broke at the knoll just before you take that final dip into the col where the pond is. The moon shone through the breaks in the clouds, the lights from cannon shot up from the notch and the town of Lincoln glistenned below. It was another gorgeous night up north indeed.

We popped into the hut for a potty break and to steal some water. Those who were staying the night looked at us rather wierd... especially so when we left to go finish the hike. With headlamps on we hurried down Old Bridle Path in the dark, (rather slow going) and made it back to the car for 8:57PM. Just under 4 hours for the loop... and a great time had by both of us! Thanks Firefly as I know you read these.. and Lolly... maybe next time sis.

SJ :)

Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:30 pm

SJ and Firefly,
4 hours for the loop?
It took me that long just to get up Falling Waters! (ok, maybe a little less than that but not much).

Bring the headlamps and some patience on 10/22!
Bill

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:22 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Just bring that beer and the B-day cake.. and I'll eat the beer and drink the cake while we hike on 10/22. HEHE! :lol:

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]