Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 8/31: Tecumseh at Night in the Fog 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

8/31: Tecumseh at Night in the Fog
I needed to bag Tecumseh for the list I am working on so I acquired the services of my hiking friend firefly. She had hiked with me at night before and I knew this one would be for the most part in the dark as well. So at 6pm we met at the Waterville Valley Ski Area and started up the ski slopes at 6:08pm.

About halfway up we had a brief rain shower that seemed to have passed as quick as it came. The Higher into the clouds we went as it became rather socked in to a point that our visibility was all of 5 feet. Our conversation at times was all that kept us aware of each others prescence.

We reached the summit after about an hour of hiking (I think) and was surprised to see a friend sitting up there! Lolly had decided to surprise us at the summit and our group was now 3.

We quickly headed down the "other side" of Tecumseh headed for Tripoli road. Along the way we stopped for a rest and Lolly pointed out West Tecumseh to me. She said it was a 100 highest so.. seeing as I was there.. I bagged it. Upon returning to the main trail, lolly and firefly had their head lamps out. So I did the same as it was now fully dark, though it had been some time since I could see where I was planting my feet.

The rest of the way down we were careful in the dark walking over the slimey roots and slippery rocks. Mud was getting deeper and the rain decided to pick up, but amazingly.. we stayed rather dry despite the precipitation. The further down we went the foggier it got until finally it was becoming difficult to see where our feet were being placed below us.

We all enjoyed each others company. :wink: and soon found ourselves on Tripoli Road and began our walk back to Waterville via the sand which would turn to gravel soon enough.

We made it back to the car for 9:29pm, a bit damp but NOT soaked and in great spirits. Another successful hike with some great friends. Thanks girls!

SJ
48 in 2005 x 2: 33

By the way.. I feel kinda bad that most of the trip reports here are from me... so.. I was hoping others would share their trips as well. Lets help THIS community grow! Thanks

Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:47 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

It often takes a catalyst to get a reaction! Just ask Pucknuts, he has a bunch in the Readers' Trip Reports section, and I tell him the same thing I'll tell you: keep them coming! Trips reports are the meat and 'tatoes of this site, so I will never ask someone to slow them down. Although I will join you in encouraging others to post as well!

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:35 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Something I have ALWAYS loved (though often misinterpreted) is sharing my adventures with others. When I first joined the "online hiking world" I only posted Trail conditions on another site with a few comments about the trip. I found myself wanted to say more but could not due to limited space.

It took me a long time to actually find forums and my main purpose for these sites, was not JUST the exchange of helpful information, but the exchange of the views of ones adventure.

Everyone hikes for different reasons, everyone has a different adventure on all the peaks, whatever height they may be. I feel it is important as a community that we share our stories with one another. Because it may indeed help someone see a different side of a similar situation they had found themselves in or someone else's feelings towards a view or moment in time.

Anyway.. I'll step off the soap box... thanks Chris for your insight. Now lets see some reports and build this community!

SJ

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]