[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - My first winter solo....OK it was only Tecumseh

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 My first winter solo....OK it was only Tecumseh 

My first winter solo....OK it was only Tecumseh
I’ve had a very lame winter for peak bagging. I was able to hit a few trails and peaks that I’ve never done before but my winter 48 list has suffered. With this being the last few days before the start of Spring, I was hopeful we’d be able to end the season in a big way….Flume & Liberty via Flume Slide!
What a great way it would have been to end Winter 2008 but Wildpeaks became a grandfather just 2 days before our hike so we had to scrap our plans.

I’m not a fan of hiking solo, I’ve done it several times out of desperation just to get out but even attempting a solo hike in winter had never crossed my mind…..until Saturday night. Looking over the huge list of peaks I need for my winter 48 I decided to go solo and hit Tecumseh. It’s a relatively easy hike from the sense that it’s just above 4K and under 5 miles round trip but there’s till work to be done to get to the top.

I parked at the Waterville Valley ski lot directly across from the trailhead, geared up, then jumped over the snow bank towards the trail (the trailhead is about 200 feet to the right of the main building and there is the usual brown a-frame sign to indicate the beginning of the trail). There was a light snow in the air that made the hike a little more enjoyable and it lasted all day but only dropped ¼ - ½ inch of new snow. I was surprised to find no other foot prints on the trail. I figured the last hoorah for winter was close and a lot of people would be out but I guess they went for bigger hills because no one appeared to have been on the Tecumseh Trail in a couple of days. I didn’t have to break trail, it was well worn and easy to hike….snowshoes and crampons were not needed all day as I was easily able to bareboot it to the top and back.
The trail winds through the lower woods for about a mile with 2 river crossing, 1 at the very start and a second just before the uphill climb begins. No major problems crossing them but good information for a water source. After the second crossing the trail turns to the right away from the ski trail and begins the ascent. It’s a very straight trail from here until the funky summit arrow sign (it says “summit” and points in 2 different directions). Once you the cross trail for the Sosman Trail that leads to the top of the ski area it’s only ¼ mile to the summit. I passed the Sosman (which was also well broken) then took the left trail to the top. The trail splits here and circles the summit so you have a choice of approaches. There are a couple of nice viewing areas along the way but for the most part the entire hike and even the summit are in the trees.
I made the summit in just over 2 hours, took some great shots of the trees, had something to eat, then headed back to the car using the Tecumseh Trail instead of hiking down the ski trails.
Pictures are below just click the link.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:04 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Yeah...I'm not a big fan of hiking solo, either, for a number of reasons.

Nice shots from up top. My wife and I were up there in November and what a difference a few feet of snow makes to the scenery.

I like heading up Sosman just a bit and getting the good view from there of Tecumseh.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:07 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Hey Bill, don't feel too bad about the numbers. A bout with IT friction band syndrome and family issues cut my hiking days by a 1/3. Only squeaked out 6 winter peaks. But with the new 4 season tent I bought I plan on making a run on finishing next season. 32 peaks in 13 weeks split between several backpacks and dayhikes........should be a blast!!! :lol:

Brian

Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:49 pm

Hey BC, I like the Sosman.... but the ski area was loaded and I didn't want to head down that way just out of fear of getting whacked from behind. Is that "couch" still there with the view?

Brian...6 peaks isn't bad...it's one every other week all winter.

I think the trick is to try and grab the tough ones like the Bonds or Owls Head early in the winter. There was (and still is) an awful lot of snow up there and it makes those long slogs too long.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:57 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Yup...the "couch" with the view is still there.

I know what you mean about the ski area, too. And it's tough to forget it when you hear the snow guns droning non-stop for about two-thirds of the trail.

And yes, there's a lot of snow on the trails...but you're burning calories and getting good exercise with the slog. Heck, when I come back down after a hike I'm about six or seven pounds lighter.

(Of course, I put it back on a day or so later.)

Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:39 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

You know Bill you could have always called me and dragged me out of hibernation...... :lol:

Hopefully warm weather is not to far away and I can get Di back out on the trails. We bought a fifth wheel over the winter and are going to use that as a base camp for lots of hiking this year. Can't wait.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:42 am

Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:33 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:17 am

Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:53 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: My first winter solo....OK it was only Tecumseh