Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Trip Report: Mt. Jefferson... 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Trip Report: Mt. Jefferson...
My wife and I did this yesterday (Thursday) and had a great time.

(See photographs posted to LiveSpaces site; link is below.)

The weather was good -- a bit hazy and view-obstructing -- but as is typical in the summer for these sorts of alpine-zone hikes, the temperature up top was 70 while below, back at home, it was 90 and humid.

We went up the Caps Ridge Trail and, instead of coming down the same way as most people did that day, we descended by way of the Castle Trail and used the Link to cut back over to the Caps Ridge Trail just below the "caps."

The Caps Ridge and Castle trails were wonderful -- not too strenuous -- but the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back was the Link. I've never hiked 1.6 miles so slowly or wanted a trail to end so much as when we were on this one. If you've never hiked the Link, it's almost primordial in appearance with numerous mossy, tree-root-covered boulders and huge gaps in the trail where the tree roots have not filled in with debris/dirt over the years -- quite an obstacle course. (It really looks like something out of the Lord of the Rings set.) I felt like I had to pull out my best pseudo-gymnast's moves to negotiate some of the turns, twists, and obstacles and avoid a sprained ankle (always a greater possibility at the end of a hike, when one is getting tired).

After coming down the Castle Trail and hitting the heat, humidity and bugs of the lower altitude, the Link kicked my butt -- what a workout.

All in all, though, a great hike.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]