Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Mt. Carrigain via Signal Ridge Trail trip report... 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Mt. Carrigain via Signal Ridge Trail trip report...
(This is the same trip report I posted on the Views from the Top website)

Trail: Mt. Carrigain via Signal Ridge Trail, up and back...

Date Hiked: May 22, 2007

Conditions: NOTE: Sawyer River Road has been open for a couple of weeks and is dry and well-graded. Signal Ridge trail conditions in general were very good. For the first 2.5 to three miles, the trail is mainly dry with an occasional, easy-to-traverse soggy spot. Water levels at Whiteface Brook and Carrigain Brook are only slightly high; both are easy to cross with water barely coming over the boot top. At about three miles -- shortly after the trail reaches Signal Ridge -- bits of hard-packed ice and snow appear. These are easily avoided at first but in the last mile (a half mile before the site of the old fire warden's cabin), the trail is covered with hard-packed snow and some ice. The area around the old cabin site is completely clear and dry. In the final half mile -- the bit between the old cabin site and the summit -- the trail has a foot to possibly two feet of hard-packed snow. (Only a few face-slapping pine and hemlock branches to avoid here.) The summit is clear. There are a few (four? five?) minor blowdowns on the upper portion of the trail -- only a slight annoyance, if anything.

Special Required Equipment: My wife and I barebooted this all the way to the summit and used Stabilicers on the way down for the first mile or so simply to avoid breaking stride on the few icy parts. Poles are helpful, but not necessary. Trail is well-enough packed at the higher elevations to avoid any postholing.

Comments: An amazing hike -- great weather and a beautiful drive through Crawford Notch to get the trailhead on Sawyer River Road. Spring is busting out all over and the trees are covered with vibrant yellow-green leaves. Add to this a huge blue sky and warm (not hot) temperatures and you have a great mix for a hike. All sorts of trillium are blooming, red squirrels were everywhere chattering away as you walked by them on the trail, and there are moose and black bears out -- we saw a moose juvenile and a black bear cub (where was the mother?) on Rt. 302 near Sawyer River Road. And -- the summit was not too terribly windy. Great views from the observation tower there.

Wed May 23, 2007 11:58 am

Darn! Hiking 30+ years and I've still never seen a bear in the Whites (except for Clarkes Trading Post). Cudos!

Thanks for the TR, any pic's (we live vicariously when we can't get out)?

Bill

Wed May 23, 2007 12:41 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I have several pictures from yesterday's hike -- if there's somewhere you have where you'd like me to post them, let me know.

(I don't have any sort of service set up where I can post them.)

I can send them to you separately, as well, and you can post them somewhere. Whatever is easiest; say the word.

I have photographs from every hike in the past six or seven weeks, if you want -- Mts. Moosilauke, Tom, Field, Passaconaway, the Tripyramids and now Carrigain.

REV: Bill, I see that you have a Microsoft LiveSpaces site -- is this free and quick to set up? If so, I can set up an account quickly and post my pictures to the site. Otherwise, I can send images to you that you can post, if you want.

Wed May 23, 2007 12:56 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Barkingcat,

There are a few great, and free, photo hosting sites. Webshots is my favorite for slideshows. A lot of folks on ROT have taken to Phanfare. I also use Imageshack a lot and like it.

B.

Wed May 23, 2007 5:13 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Then, by cracky, I'll get off my duff and subscribe to a photohosting site posthaste.

Pucknuts61, I'll have images posted in the next day.

(Thanks, New Hampshire...the Hike NH member, not the entire state.)

Wed May 23, 2007 5:18 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Pucknuts61 --

I've finally gotten off my dead rear end and posted photographs from my wife's and my hike up Mt. Carrigain.

You can see them at my LiveSpaces site, address below.

Thu May 31, 2007 3:14 pm

Nice shots!

I especially like the Franconia Ridge shot from Moosilauke (had to check out all the albums)

Thanks!
Bill

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:09 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Bill --

Thanks for encouraging me to put the shots up for all to see.

My wife and I have been hiking for some time but only last October decided to make a concerted effort to peak-bag all 48 NH 4000-footers and actually document this.

Given our busy work schedules, we're hoping to do this in about three years.

From this point on, I'll try to post a dozen or so shots of not just summits but of trailheads, interesting trails shots, scenics, etc. -- perhaps helping other people get a better sense of the experience of some of the trails, in advance. In some ways it's similar to the type of information that I began coming to Hike-NH to get, beyond what I can glean from reading the AMC guide.

(It helps that I have a pro-sumer lightweight digital camera now instead of the 50 pounds of professional-quality film-based equipment I used to lug around for photography. I empathize with ScenicNH -- I think he carts around a medium-format camera on his treks, instead of 35mm.)

Thanks, again, for encouraging me to actually post the pictures instead of keeping them on my desk or computer.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:30 am

HA! On a GOOD day all he has is the 12 MP digital SLR.....on a bad day its the Digital, Pentax MF and tripod (I have basically the same tripod and it weighs a ton!)! Not to mention he carries his hennesy hammock and -20 degree bag with him.....year round! Erin is rue HARDCORE! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

B.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:23 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

New Hampshire wrote:
(I have basically the same tripod and it weighs a ton!)! Not to mention he carries his hennesy hammock and -20 degree bag with him.....year round! Erin is rue HARDCORE! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

B.

Stop being a sissy and carry it.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And You know I like my hammock.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:00 pm

ScenicNH wrote:
And You know I like my hammock.

Just not in the rain? :lol:

B.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:10 pm
Peak Bagger