Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Beaver Brook Waterfalls 
Master Mountaineer

Beaver Brook Waterfalls
Sunday, April 15th, was a super day to hike in the mountains and we choose Beaver Brook Trail to see lovely waterfalls and cascades for over a mile to condition ourselves with steady elevation gain during the light snow storm with little wind. Joining the fun was Diane, a USPS rural route carrier; Charlotte, a park project manager; Tara, a program service coordinator from South Portland; Peter, a banker from Franklin, MA with ghostdog and me. We turned around about where the brook ended. I was the only one to bare boot up & back, the others wore snowshoes. As this was Charlotte's first time in 'shoes, we fell to the back of the pack and we had several opportunities to teach her how to self rappel safely down a sloop. Well done! We met at the parking lot and decided to head to the Woodstock Station. Just after the height of land where the ice, slush, and snow was the heaviest, Tara's PT Cruiser skidded into a snow bank. Diane & I tried to use snow traction mats, which I'm certain would have worked if we had a shovel. Tara jumped in Diane's car and we slowly drove through the wet, icy snow, and arrived at the Inn. A phone call was made to Arnold's (there is Wilson's also!) in town and he immediately met Tara at the Inn, drove her to her vehicle,and towed her out for $55. Later Tara told me she spun out twice more on the way home and cracked her bumper. Gee, drive carefully! The good news is there likely will be no more snow until October. Tara rejoined us at the Woodstock Station where we ate, drank and had great fellowship for an hour and a half. I saw a lone duck returning north in the snowstorm on the way home, signaling spring has arrived in style. It was truly another perfect day to play in Paradise!

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]