Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Aunt Mary 
Sovereign Woodsman

Aunt Mary
We haven't been doing much this past month (other than Field on the 2cd and Agamenticus a couple weeks ago). Here's why.

My aunt, who has had a life of remarkable health and up until a few years ago was shoveling snow and cutting grass and walking a mile to church, became very weak in early January. She basically cannot walk or stand independently. My cousin (her nephew) lives upstairs from her (a 2 family house), so he does the lion's share of the care-taking. Prema and I are around the corner, and my older daughter works in Lawrence, so we're all taking turns. She is 91, but several ladies in our family have made it past that and were in good health, so we're hoping things work out.

A funny story about her corrupting influence on Prema. When Prema was probably 4 or 5, Aunt Mary thought it would be nice for the three of us to take a walk. We ended up going to downtown Lawrence (at least a mile), where we went to Woolworth's (or something like that). Then, another mile up towards Methuen, where we had a nice brunch at a diner another aunt worked at. After we were well-fed and well-rested, we walked back to her house. Upon our arrival, the oldest aunt (who stopped to visit Grandma) interrogated us and upon hearing our story exclaimed, "I can't believe you made a little girl walk three miles! That's child abuse!" Too bad that crank wasn't around to see Prema's other excursions. Life in the Matriarchy :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:43 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: Aunt Mary
That's a great story - thanks for sharing it.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:02 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I love it! Thanks for posting it.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:06 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks, gentlemen!

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:36 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

That's a great memory. Thanks for sharing. I have heard similar about what my wife and I do with our kids. Even been scolded and told mountains are no place for kids (on Mt. Major). Your aunt had it right though. Get them going early, and hopefully a lifetime and lifestyle of that "use it or lose it" attitude she seems to have had will work for them as well as it seems to for her. I hope she regains her strength and keeps going, but I'd also sign on for 91 strong years right now if I could.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:05 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks! She's hanging in there. We'll see what happens in the near future. For now we're sticking close to home.

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:23 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Well, she died yesterday morning, somewhere between 3 AM and 7AM. She died on her own terms, not going to the hospital or the nursing home. My cousin Billy took good care of her, we had hospice, her body gradually shut down and she had little, if any, pain. She was healthy all her life, helped everyone, and only recently was unable to walk, etc. It seems bizarre not to have her around. We were lucky to have her as long as we did.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:19 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

So sorry Beckie. But heartened to hear things were peaceful for Aunt Mary. My condolences.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:46 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Hi, Beckie:

I'm so sorry to hear about her passing. I'll keep both of you in my prayers.

Take care,

Tim

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:21 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Also sorry to hear this. I'm sure everything you did for her and the time you spent with her these last few months was difficult but wonderful for her and you all. We should all be as blessed to have people like that in our lives when the time comes.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:20 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks, everybody!

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:19 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks for sharing it. This is a good story.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:12 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Hey Baffert, Thanks! And welcome to this forum, even though it is practically dead at this point. I would love to see it brought back to life!

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]