Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Festivals of Trees 
Sovereign Woodsman

Festivals of Trees
Yes, that's right - Festivals, plural.

There are three going on right now that we've been to. If any of you are interested, make sure you go to the Methuen or Salisbury one soon, because this weekend they end. Haverhill goes another week. methuenfestivaloftrees.com, seafestivaloftrees.com, and buttenwoodsmuseum.org.

This is like going to fairs, because each has a different style, vibe, etc. The Methuen one has been around the longest, it started years ago with a few trees on display at the local library. Proceeds went to repair some historic walls in Methuen. It has grown over the years and is now at an office park off what used to be the rotary where 110 meets 93. They have over 250 trees, including a separate room full of mini trees. Prema entered a tree for several years, usually a mini or a small (3 ft and under) because it's just too damn expensive to do a big one :D .
If you don't mind noise and crowds, Methuen is fun. If you do, try to go the last hour on a week day evening (well, next year you can do that!).

The Haverhill one is the most relaxed. It's much smaller and is in an old house that is part of the Buttonwoods Museum. It is also the only one where anyone ever entered a Festivus Pole as a tree. They don't get huge crowds, so it's peaceful. Although last night, there was about thirty seconds of disturbance, because some damn fool who shall remain nameless turned too sharply (it was a dark and stormy night....) into their small parking lot and caught her front bumper on a rock :oops: :oops: :oops: Triple A had to come and use a jack and a tow to rectify that mess! Other than that, we had a good time. The Haverhill one has a good silent auction that we usually win something from.

The Salisbury one is the newest, going on its 4th year. It's at the Blue Ocean Music Hall, overlooking the water (which is prettier than the sound barrier wall next to 93 South in Methuen). Blue Ocean also has an indoor skating rink. It has synthetic ice and you can rent skates. They had a snowman blowing fake snow flakes over the skaters at one end.

So just in case any of you like these sort of things, you can check them out! All three have additional stuff, such as wreaths, wall hangings, etc. And Santa is there from time to time.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:53 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Re: Festivals of Trees
Love the festival of trees! Third year going. It was a little crowded but it was great to see all those different trees.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:28 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Re: Festivals of Trees
Warren Beatty wrote:
Love the festival of trees! Third year going. It was a little crowded but it was great to see all those different trees.

My family and I would love to check this out one of these days. :D

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]