Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Bullet in the head 
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Bullet in the head
Good job everyone, I've never been more ashamed in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdfRRtAs3o

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:44 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Bullet in the head
I almost didn't want to touch this thread with a 30ft poll. But the site has been dead anyway. Democracy has worked, is working, and will continue to work. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it doesn't work. Nothing is a straight line and you can learn something positive from anyone.

NSFW
https://youtu.be/v5NeyI4-fdI

Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Im in absolute shock and awe despair and didnt sleep a wink last night and cant stop crying. My sister wont stop rubbing it in. Ugh. Maybe tomorrow i will be more accepting, but today i grieve. I try to remind myself that my dog does not care who won the election and all he wants is love, food shelter and for me to throw that ball. Life goes on.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:29 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I have not voted for anyone with an R or D next to their name in a presidential (and most congressional) races for some 18 years now. I am used to "my guy" not winning, so I am taking this like any normal day. But in this election I can say many people I normally consider rational and well thinking people (some who identify conservative and some liberal) lost their s**t. However I keep trying to remind anyone who cares to listen that Presidents, congress-persons and Supreme court justices come and go, but in the end we all soldier on. We have survived much worse (and if you don't think so just ask anyone who was 18 years or older during the Johnson and Nixon presidencies). We will surly continue to survive much worse. And when we have had some time to finally let it all sink in reality will slowly go back to normal...at least for 2 years when we get mid-term election time rolling in. :D

Brian

Last edited by New Hampshire on Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

First of all, I'd like to congratulate all of you for being able to even go there.... VFTT is very strict about conversations of this nature, Dave is quick to reel them in :D ! I remember on this site a few years ago, we had a civil disagreement that went on for 5 or 6 pages! Good for us!

Now, here's how it went down at work today. Another town has been sharing our small building while their new office will someday be rebuilt. Our clerks for the most part were not happy, but our permanant guests (because they're NEVER going to finish that building :lol: ) were very gracious in not rubbing it in. This is a Massachusetts office, and most of the discussion centered on Question 4, which was very amusing.

As for the customers, where one does not officially get into discussions of this nature with them, sometimes you do. It can be fun sometimes, of just a way of commiserating. We have many international customers in the town where my post office is. Seeing the reactions of some of them is fine, but you can't really bitch about any incoming politicians when the person you're waiting on had loved ones who lived under Idi Amin's or Saddam Hussain's watch.

Gibba - this is stick and hunting season, dead is what November does!

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:17 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

One of my kids was very upset about the outcome of the election. I told him: In the 1970s, this country survived Richard Nixon and then Jimmy Carter, all in a ten year period. We'll survive this, too.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8AuMOGx_KY

For all you non-Mass voters who were wondering what question 4 is, and yes, it passed.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:31 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Walrus is right. Sometimes democracy doesn't work. Remember the time the DNC worked behind the scenes to make sure their cherry picked candidate got the party nomination even when said candidate had trouble winning the primaries to begin with in the swing states that mattered? And then the mainstream media pushed to get her an opponent with zero experience so it would basically be a coronation for her? That is democracy not working. Then remember how it all backfired on them when it turned out the people voting didn't like her anywhere near as much as they did?? Anyone who has a problem with this election needs to look no further then how the DNC tried to cheat democracy, but it turns out democracy actually did work in the end even if you don't like the results.

I know nothing of how President Trump will govern. He has no public experience in his past to look at and even make an educated guess and I don't think for a second he's actually going to implement the most of the things he threw out there with his blowhard, pandering rhetoric. I'll give him a chance before I say the world is ending. It's sad that these were the two "best" major party candidates this country had. IMO If you could vote for either candidate without holding your nose and needing a shower after you're not paying attention. But take it like an adult if "your" candidate lost. Eight years ago the other 50% of the country thought the worLd as they knew it was going to end also. But life went on. Democracy worked just fine then and now. No revolutions. No riots. No coups or hostile takeovers. Peaceful election of the person the electoral system decided the people wanted. That's democracy doing what it does and working just fine.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:35 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Word

Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:30 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I don't know how we define "work," but I've been saying for about 20 years that democracy's a bad idea. Unfortunately, the only better idea I have is to just put me in charge. . . but 1) nobody would vote for that, and 2) I have extremely negative interest in such a situation anyway. So I have no better solution, I guess.

My situation is extremely similar to Brian's post above, actually. I've always voted (despite thinking that somebody like me having a vote is a bad idea), but never for either "major" party, for a healthy variety of reasons that aren't likely to be helpful to go into. I'm not sure I'm any more unhappy today than I was the day that it became apparent who the "major" nominees would be.

If there's one thing that I'd like to offer, I suppose, it would be to heavily criticize the manner in which politics is carried out. Both "major" parties (and probably the smaller ones too, they're just harder to see) conduct themselves in absolutely abominable ways. The vast majority of ads, sound bytes, facebook memes, etc. are based on terrifyingly slanderous manipulated facts, half-truths, illegitimate emotional appeals, and demonizing the other person or position as much as is possible, with zero regard for truth or integrity. This has created our tremendously divisive climate where it's virtually impossible to hold one opinion or perspective without believing the other position or perspective to be legitimately wrong or evil and your own being right or noble. This is complete bunk. Reasonable people can disagree on politics. Certainly, this election more than any other I do believe that both "major" candidates are more obviously and deeply flawed than any other in memory, but neither one as much as they're portrayed by their opponents. And so now we have a situation where people really, honestly believe that not only the candidate, but the 50,000,000 voters who checked a box, are also evil (both ways, really). This is an obvious recipe for social disaster -- from the organizations tasked with moving our society forward. Absolutely hugely destructive and counter-productive.

Other than that, it's a beautiful day!

Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:05 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

To tie this back to hiking: Who among us can't relate to the experience of going out hiking to clear our heads after a particularly rough day? :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... nald-trump

Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Grindboy wrote:
Both "major" parties (and probably the smaller ones too, they're just harder to see) conduct themselves in absolutely abominable ways.

Yup. I have always told people (at least those who listen to me when I start to ramble :lol: ) that politics by their very nature are divisive. You don't win an election by telling potential voters "hey, everyone chill, things are not really all that bad, but hey, vote for me anyway." No, they win by making the other candidate (or their party) look like Satan murdering little kittens. :D

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:57 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

And speaking of killing kittens, it's traction vs bareboots time again, but that's a subject for a different thread!

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]