Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 My Mom 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

My Mom
My Mom liked New Hampshire. She didn’t love it, the way my Dad did. But, then again, I’m not sure that any non-hiker/non-skier/non-outdoorsman ever loved New Hampshire the way my Dad did. He loved everything about it, from Lake Winnipesaukee to the Kancamagus Highway to the views from the bottom of Franconia Notch to the prices at the liquor store alongside I-93. And because he loved it, she liked it.

She was a stay-at-home mom in the 50s/60s/70s, and she saw it as her mission to fully support her husband and raise their children properly, as those terms were defined in that era. And, even though her favorite trips were those that let her sleep in her own bed in Connecticut each night, she willingly went along with my Dad when he wanted to visit New Hampshire for a week at a time. (She was fully supportive of anything he wanted to do, as long as it wasn’t illegal, immoral or fattening—and the fattening criterion was negotiable.) She was genuinely happy when his love of New Hampshire in general, and the White Mountains in particular, was passed on to a number of their six children. She always wanted to see the pictures from the hikes that her children took, from the summits that she and Dad never visited, and she never failed to marvel at our willingness/ability to take on a 4,000 footer.

She left us in early February. On the day of her funeral, no one placed a copy of the Current Summit Conditions in her coffin. But several of her children and grandchildren deposited the Valentine’s Day cards that they’d already purchased for her. Despite the forecast of “partly cloudy with temperatures in the low 40s”, four inches of snow fell on us as we drove to the cemetery. (I’m sure this worried her for our sakes, but I’m also sure that my Dad was laughing about it.) I truly believe that she’s with my Dad, and that they both are still watching each hike that we take. She’s worrying about the possibility of thundershowers, and he’s just proud of us for putting on our boots and hitting the trail.

I’ve just re-read what I’ve written here, and it occurs to me that I’ve said almost as much about my Dad as I have about my Mom. But, that’s probably about right. She was his biggest supporter, the one who explained to us what he meant when he assigned a chore that we didn’t understand and didn’t like, the one who sat by his side on all of those trips to New Hampshire, the one who missed him more than any of us when he passed away several years ago.

Here’s to you, Mom. I feel your absence as much as I ever felt your presence, and we still love you. Please tell Dad I was asking for him. Oh, and one more thing: Some of us are hiking the Tripyramids in a couple of weeks. We’ll be careful—I promise.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:52 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: My Mom
There is nothing in this world like a son's love for his Mom.

How sweet a tribute.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:19 pm
Master Mountaineer

Long time no see! Welcome back.

Great tribute to your mother. Now that my own mom has passed, I often wonder who out there actively worries about me when I'm out hiking. Like your mom, my mother always hounded me to send her pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:24 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Great post. Thanks for sharing that.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:25 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Awesome story to share. I feel as if my mom watched over me and snatched me back from whatever I was silly enough to do. A good read and reminded me of what my mom has instilled upon me.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:30 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I'm glad you liked it!

Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:00 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Nice tribute to your mom. Thanks for sharing.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:07 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Sorry I took so long to respond! This was great! My mother died a few years ago from Lung cancer, but it's my father I think of out in the woods. When I was growing up, he never let me do anything, hike-wise. My brothers could go hunting, which I suppose is different, because that meant they were packing heat where I was not. Daddy was nearly 40 when I was born and had always wanted a little girl. To be fair, we did live in the Poconos - rattlers are a problem there. So now when I backpack, hike at night, etc, I think of him when I get back to the car unharmed.

Mom I think of when I get out the bear cannister. She always said, "Who do you think you're fooling? They're smarter than everybody!"

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:58 am
Sovereign Woodsman

We did Field today. I was left in the dust (or powder?) by a couple who get their winter hikes in early so they don't have night driving. The husband will be 82 in March. I did the math and realized he is nearly the same age (well, 2 months younger) than Mom would have been if she were still around. and then I remembered today is her birthday. This one's for you, Mom!

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:49 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Very nice!

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:22 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Touching story.

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]