Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 WTH??????? (I used H, because this is a family forum) 
Sovereign Woodsman

WTH??????? (I used H, because this is a family forum)
I'm sure many here are familiar with that board that you see when you drive into Lincoln off the exit 32 ramp. The one that during camping season lists various places and whether or not they have vacancies. If it's green one would assume that there are open campsites; red, you have to make other arrangements.

Due to many circumstances, we got to Lincoln shortly past 9 last night and were happy to see all green lights, except for Franconia. That's NOT what we saw up and down the Kanc! FULLFULLFULLFULL :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: . So we ended up at Chez Zealand. Now, I'm not so self-entitled or naive enough to think that I will always find housing, especially on a lovely Saturday night (and we've been VERY lucky in the past - even on holiday weekends). So I'm not complaining about the camps being full. I was just surprised that they would have the whole board in green when every single place was full. If I had known this, I would have gone to the lovely (but not so legal :D ) Chez Zealand or Chez Signal Ridge. Just curious as to why this was (unless they all filled at five minutes past nine and they didn't get a chance to notify whose ever in charge).

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: WTH??????? (I used H, because this is a family forum)
You can always camp in the chez sandwich range wilderness. Right beyond the sign there are no rules regarding camping. 5 feet off the trail or right across it . Wherever you wish.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:58 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks! Usually we are well prepared and have the larger pack with us so we can hike in and set up. Last night was not one of those nights.....
But I'll keep this info on file!

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:37 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I don't know who's in charge of doing the lights but the posted hours for the visitors center are only until 5. If it's a collaboration between the Forest Service if guess they go home ate 4:30-5 also like most government operations. So, the sites probably filled up between 5 and 9 would be my guess.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:36 am
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:
You can always camp in the chez sandwich range wilderness. Right beyond the sign there are no rules regarding camping. 5 feet off the trail or right across it . Wherever you wish.

This wouldn't be too convenient since SRW boundary is set back quite a bit from the Kanc and route 49 (0.5-1 mile) and the only place it's close to the road (Sandwich Notch Rd) camping is not allowed with 1/4 mile of said road :)

On Saturday morning we saw a big tent set up in the Mt. Cleveland "scenic view" area just off of route 3, so no doubt it was a busy weekend up there. To answer your question, though, I suspect GG's got it right.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:25 am

GG probably does have the answer. But if you want to find out for sure, here's their number. (603) 745-8720.

It's been 10 years but I was a regular at Hancock Campground for years. That was my particular favorite. Grrreat, swimming hole on the Pemi behind it. Anyway, pretty much from Memorial Day on, you'll Never, get a camping spot on the Kanc. on a Saturday night. Disclimer, might get one in bad weather. :wink: People within decent driving distance will actually head up on a Thursday, pay the extra night and just throw a table clothe on the picnic table with a note so you know it's reserved.

I myself actually have driven up on a Thursday to do that before a holiday weekend. I've talked to people who know's someone in the area to do that for them.

The funniest thing I ever saw was when someone with an RV parked across the entrance of a site, thinking that reserved it. Another regular decided to check if in fact they payed. Did not. Payed for the site, and set up camp. The owners came back in there car to find, what they was their, site being used. The battle unfolded in front of me between the 2 parties and the host. Bottom line is, if you don't pay for the site, it ain't yours. Which the signs clearly state. 8) Needless to say, the RV folks had to leave. No other sites. Was guy #2 a a$$, maybe. But as this thread suggests, sites on the Kanc. are prime real-estate. :D

Last edited by JustJoe on Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:21 am
Sovereign Woodsman

And the lights on that board were all red (aside from Russell Pond iirc) Saturday morning.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:13 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Matt, that's funny (red on Sat AM). Joe, that's even funnier (real estate battle).

I can't complain, because we've been unusually lucky on a few occasions in the past. Got a spot 4th of July a few years back at Sugar Loaf II because 30 minutes earlier the people took off and went home. Got another one on a Labor Day weekend Sat night due to slight rain. Got one at Hastings (Evans Notch) on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend last year, even though it was a nice, dry weekend. And I usually have Plan B in the car - larger pack, bear cannister, etc. But not this time. So it was Plan C (Chez wherever :D ). We work on Saturday, so that kind of messes things up, depending on what time Prema gets out.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:52 pm

If you know more than a couple days in advance you are going up you can reserve many campgrounds through http://www.reserveamerica.com and http://www.recreation.gov. Unfortunately all the sites on the Kanc are first come first serve I believe, but there's many other state parks and USFS sites to choose from. On all but the busiest weekends there's usually something available if you are a little flexible and can plan ahead a few days.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:52 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

And, adding fuel to the fire here, if those lights are manned by the women in that Visitor's Center, forget about any accuracy. They have to be - by and large as a group - the most unfriendly (Not to be confused with the very similar "least friendly") staffers I have ever had the misfortune to come across. I cannot imagine their diligence for accuracy surpasses their lack of people skills.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:32 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Kathy wrote:
I cannot imagine their diligence for accuracy surpasses their lack of people skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAY27NU1Jog

:twisted: :lol: :wink:

Brian

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:40 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
Kathy wrote:
I cannot imagine their diligence for accuracy surpasses their lack of people skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAY27NU1Jog

YES! He must be the guy who trained them!!! :lol:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:00 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I thought for a weekend night there was a two night minimum.

I learned my lesson. The remainder of the equipment will ALWAYS be in the trunk for the remainder of the season. Which it usually has been in the past. And normally, even if Prema is working, we get up there at least a few hours before dark, so that if it's the woods, she is usually good at scouting out a place.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:22 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Prema will be home early tomorrow! Plans A and B are in my trunk already! Here we go.....

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:38 pm

I drove down Tripoli road yesterday to do the East Pond loop....what a zoo! It was like the mess that is Lafayette place/Campground transported to Tripoli Road. Some tentsites had literally dozens of cars!!!!! :shock:

Brian

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next