Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Subaru - Forester or Outback, which is more comfortable 

Rate Forester for 1+ hour rides
Seats are so poor they hurt  0%  [ 0 ]
Seats are tolerable but below average  0%  [ 0 ]
Seats are average  0%  [ 0 ]
Seats are better than average  0%  [ 0 ]
Wind noise is average  0%  [ 0 ]
Wind noise is acceptable on a windy day  0%  [ 0 ]
Wind noise is higher than average  0%  [ 0 ]
What? Did you say something?  100%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 1

Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I am in the market for a 2014 or 15 Forester or Outback. I really want to love the Forester. There are only two things holding me back right now. 1. Highway Noise and 2. Seat comfort.

I know, I've got to try them for myself, but a lot of people on several sub boards are dissing the comfort of the Forester. It is especially for long rides this is an issue.

I have also heard that the seats are different as you go up the trim levels, from base, to premium, to limited to touring. A couple people mentioned that the leather seats are nice.

Now, I know this is uber-subjective, body types, height, age and various preferences, but I'd like you to take a swing at this.

I drive to the NH and Maine mountains a LOT, summer, fall and winter. In the summer, I go soft-roading, that is, off paved roads onto forest, logging or local roads, mostly unmaintained. I take these roads to get someplace. I can take getting banged around there. So I'm not looking for comments on handling, etc., just creature comfort.

I've heard nothing but good things about the outback seats. But I'm still smitten over the Forester. I just don't want to have a bad ride for the next 10 years.

I've added a pick 2 poll. You can change your vote later. Sorry, no prizes :)

What do you think?
Thanks!

"I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks." D. Boone

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Subaru - Forester or Outback, which is more comfortable
Wind noise is irrelevant if you install a nice stereo system. :twisted:

I drive with the windows down once it's above 35 degrees. I'm terrible with advice. Nor do I own either car.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:45 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Well, I'm a child of the 60's, so the rock part of sex, drugs and rock did a number on my hearing! :shock:

Hell, you're a non driver, but a passenger always. Bet the squeals on the T don't bother you either. Me? I cant hear them! :lol:

"I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks." D. Boone

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:48 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Well I drive all the time and almost never take the T. For some reason the metalcore scene hasn't taken my hearing yet. :D if I were to get one of the two it would be the outback to facilitate car camping.

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:00 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

thegibba wrote:
Wind noise is irrelevant if you install a nice stereo system. :twisted:

This reminds me of the time I was in my Uncle's Jeep Liberty and I could hear the telltale squeak of a wheel bearing starting to go (being the owner of a piece of rotten sh!t Ford I knew all to well what the dreaded wheel bearing squeak sounds like). I said:

Me: "Uh oh, sounds like your wheel bearing might be going"

*he reaches over and turns the stereo up real loud*

Uncle: "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR IT."

:lol:

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:40 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

New Hampshire wrote:

Uncle: "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR IT."

:lol:

That and duct tape solves most problems!

Attachments:
duct.jpg
duct.jpg [ 17.36 KiB | Viewed 1297 times ]

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:34 pm
Master Mountaineer

Forester and Impreza owner here.
My last car was an Offroad ZR2 Blazer - I love that car, but spending $4k a year to keep a car on the road that only gets 10 mpg was a drain. I got the Forester because I just wanted something that wouldn't keep breaking.

My Forester is super comfy. Cloth seats, nothing fancy. The seat warmers are great in the winter, necessary after a long hike, and help with lower back pain on long trips. The Forester has a gargantuan sun roof - you may be the type to say "I don't need a gargantuan sun roof", but you'll realize you do once you have it.

Best part about the Forester on road trips? The back seats recline. It's about the same degree as an airline seat, but nonetheless, puts people to sleep.

The one drawback for the Forester is the noise... but it could be me. My wife has the Impreza, and it's much quieter, and drives like silk. The Forester has a stiffer suspension, so you tend to feel more of the bumps than you would in an Impreza or Outback. The Forester sits higher, and I can definitely feel the wind a little more in the Forester vs the Impreza. I think the road noise in the cabin of my 2009 Forester is more than normal, but I also tend to put stiffer tires that are built to tolerate New England as opposed to kiss a smoothly paved road... and those tires can be noisy. The Yokohamas it came with were pretty quiet, but I'm using some Toyo's that are practically indestructible, but they hum a good bit - never have to use snow tires, though... that's the beauty of it.

My family is in Alabama, so we make the 3000 mile round trip drive once every year or two. We've gone in a Prius, a Mini Countryman, a Suzuki Aerio, our current Forester, and our current Impreza. The Impreza wins by a long shot for extended trips - super comfort, quiet, good features, and it handles amazingly well at 100mph (necessary in the South). The Forester comes in second. I have 150k on mine now, so I spend much time on the road... and I love it, even for extended trips. We use the Forester for hiking, kayaking, biking, etc., so it's the car that gets the major abuse in this house... and it's still chugging along like a champ.

Word of advice, though. Nobody will tell you this before you by a Subaru... but boxer engines will drink an extra qt of oil between oil changes. Same is true if you buy a Porsche. But it's worth it - those cars are well put together.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:24 am
Sovereign Woodsman

iagreewithjamie wrote:

Word of advice, though. Nobody will tell you this before you by a Subaru... but boxer engines will drink an extra qt of oil between oil changes. Same is true if you buy a Porsche. But it's worth it - those cars are well put together.

If someone told me that their car burns a quart of oil over the course of an oil change. I wouldn't consider it to be all that well put together IMO. My Fiances old car did that and it was slightly annoying. It's not difficult, just annoying.

Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:20 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

thegibba wrote:
iagreewithjamie wrote:

Word of advice, though. Nobody will tell you this before you by a Subaru... but boxer engines will drink an extra qt of oil

Heard that other places too. Got an Audi that does that too. I've had it 190K miles with no engine problem. Every #$%# other thing breaks, the bane of "sophisticated" cars. That's the big reason it's going. I just keep a quart in the trunk.

The boxer is attractive because it keeps the center of gravity lower.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:53 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

iagreewithjamie wrote:
Forester and Impreza owner here.
My last car was an Offroad ZR2 Blazer - I love that car, but spending $4k a year to keep a car on the road that only gets 10 mpg was a drain. I got the Forester because I just wanted something that wouldn't keep breaking.

My Forester is super comfy. Cloth seats, nothing fancy. The seat warmers are great in the winter, necessary after a long hike, and help with lower back pain on long trips. The Forester has a gargantuan sun roof - you may be the type to say "I don't need a gargantuan sun roof", but you'll realize you do once you have it.

Best part about the Forester on road trips? The back seats recline. It's about the same degree as an airline seat, but nonetheless, puts people to sleep.

The one drawback for the Forester is the noise... but it could be me. My wife has the Impreza, and it's much quieter, and drives like silk. The Forester has a stiffer suspension, so you tend to feel more of the bumps than you would in an Impreza or Outback. The Forester sits higher, and I can definitely feel the wind a little more in the Forester vs the Impreza. I think the road noise in the cabin of my 2009 Forester is more than normal, but I also tend to put stiffer tires that are built to tolerate New England as opposed to kiss a smoothly paved road... and those tires can be noisy. The Yokohamas it came with were pretty quiet, but I'm using some Toyo's that are practically indestructible, but they hum a good bit - never have to use snow tires, though... that's the beauty of it.

My family is in Alabama, so we make the 3000 mile round trip drive once every year or two. We've gone in a Prius, a Mini Countryman, a Suzuki Aerio, our current Forester, and our current Impreza. The Impreza wins by a long shot for extended trips - super comfort, quiet, good features, and it handles amazingly well at 100mph (necessary in the South). The Forester comes in second. I have 150k on mine now, so I spend much time on the road... and I love it, even for extended trips. We use the Forester for hiking, kayaking, biking, etc., so it's the car that gets the major abuse in this house... and it's still chugging along like a champ.

Great info, thanks. What year is your Forester and what level trim? Different seats with different trim levels.

I hear with the smaller engines that it may take a long time to heat up in the dark cold of winter. But I suppose that is obvious.

I was reading elsewhere that a lot of the wind noise is caused by frameless door windows. If you move the door by gripping the glass, you move the glass alignment around. That causes a gap in the rubber. Apparently, at least on older subarus you can pinch that rubber and it will reseat itself. I read one forum were almost a dozen people took this tip and they were all thrilled with the results.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]