Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Is it just me, or............ 
Sovereign Woodsman

Is it just me, or............
RANT WARNING: What's with the people on the highway who go flying past (in the soon-to-be-closed-lane) as the rest of us merged when we see a lane closure sign? Is it just me?? It's just annoying. They create more of a delay and bottleneck. Is this not obvious? Somebody, please correct me if I'm wrong, or help me understand.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:04 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Is it just me, or............
Brain dead, out-of-it, not paying attention, etc.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:56 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

If everyone just merged at the end like any on ramp or other merger it would be better for everyone. The signs for the lane closure are just a warning that you are going to have to do something up ahead.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:59 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I will typically merge with everyone else but yeah, you don't really have to merge until the cones... it would really be better if everyone did that. In fact, on 293 in Manchester they post a sign that says not to merge until the cones. Same goes for on-ramps, I stay on the ramp until the dotted lines end and then I merge. In general I've tried to mellow out about the jerks on the road, nothing I can do about them, but I do feel your pain :?

Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:04 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy wrote:
RANT WARNING: What's with the people on the highway who go flying past (in the soon-to-be-closed-lane) as the rest of us merged when we see a lane closure sign?

It's because they need to be ahead of everyone else, for whatever reason. I see this all the time. Also when there are two lanes going the same direction at a red light. Someone needs to be first off the line to get ahead.

Kathy wrote:
They create more of a delay and bottleneck.

This.

Having not lived in a big metro area for a while now, the concept of traffic now totally confuses me. If people drove sensibly, there would be far less traffic. But that won't happen. Driving up to Manchester Friday night, traffic on 495 was jammed, coming to a stop several times. The highway wasn't closed, there was no catastrophic accident. There's no reason to stop.

(I realize I'm being unreasonable here, but jeez people, just keep moving...)

Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Dingo wrote:
Having not lived in a big metro area for a while now...I realize I'm being unreasonable here, but jeez people, just keep moving...)

I KNOW, RIGHT?????????? I lived in San Diego for years and never experienced the level of un-explainable-weird-lack of consideration-arrogance-"I have to be first" mentality I see on NH's highways.

So........glad it's not just me. And GG and KRP, I have no problem waiting for the cones to merge, that's not the issue. It's when the cones are encroaching into the lane, and it's evident that now we should all play nice and merge and yet they still speed past, sometimes in the breakdown lane that I just. do. not. understand.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Someone once told me this tidbit that made me laugh:

"Mass drivers drive like a$$holes and know it. New Hampshire drivers drive like a$$holes and are just oblivious to that fact."

:lol:

Brian

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:44 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Kathy wrote:
I KNOW, RIGHT?????????? I lived in San Diego for years and never experienced the level of un-explainable-weird-lack of consideration-arrogance-"I have to be first" mentality I see on NH's highways.

So........glad it's not just me. And GG and KRP...

Wasn't me! :D

As for the "I have to be first" thing. It's on our highways, but I'd guess it's mostly cars with Mass plates! :D My friend and usual partner in crime, who grew up and lived 5 minutes from me until he moved to Mass about 10 years ago, said it just happens. It's kill or be killed on the roads down there.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:07 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Yeah, there's always those who feel like they've accomplished something if they've managed to gain 10 car lengths at a merge. :roll:

That bugs me too but this is far worse IMO. And it's all state plates that do it. :evil: :wink: It's the guy/gal (usually guy) that has to be in front. I use my cruise control, all the time. I'm going one speed. I come up on someone and cruise by. A minute or so later, the same person comes up on me and passes me. My speed has not changed. Next thing you know, same person, slows to the point where I have to pass. Again, my speed has not changed. Again and again and again it goes on. I've played this ridiculous game with countless idiots over the years. But one day, it was out of control. And this was a mass-hole. From Manchester to near exit 28 on 93 this moron did this about 20 times. So I had a plan. :twisted: At least in winter, early morning, there's a speed trap just before, or right at exit 28. Us skier need to get to the slopes quick don't ya know. 8) Anyway, approaching the area I knew there's almost always a trap, it was his turn to get in front of me again. So as he was passing, I kept edging up my speed. And you know when it's their turn to be in front nothing will stop them. I think when he went by, I was probably doing 85 or better, so him, probably over 90. I now could see the spot where the "statey" usually was and backed way off. Leaving him out there like a big matzah ball. And bammo, bagged! :lol: I started laughing my a$$ off and Becky asked me what was so funny. When I told her she said she couldn't believe I did that. I said, I can't believe it actually worked. :D

Last edited by JustJoe on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:15 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
As for the "I have to be first" thing. It's on our highways, but I'd guess it's mostly cars with Mass plates! :D

Nope. "You people" do it too. ;) When you're not driving 20 mph under the speed limit that is. 8)

And don't get me started on those who feel they are entitled to be in their own private left lane... :twisted:

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:29 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy wrote:
It's when the cones are encroaching into the lane, and it's evident that now we should all play nice and merge and yet they still speed past, sometimes in the breakdown lane that I just. do. not. understand.

Hmm, I don't see that too often, but it doesn't surprise me. I've often played that same game as Joe with the cruise control, that drive me crazy as well.

My Fluid Mechanics professor had a brilliant take on lane-closure traffic. He said when there is a lane closure cars should actually increase their speed to avoid traffic; same volume, smaller pipe means the fluid (or traffic in this case) needs to go faster, otherwise things will clog.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Dingo wrote:
Nope. "You people" do it too. ;) When you're not driving 20 mph under the speed limit that is. 8)

And don't get me started on those who feel they are entitled to be in their own private left lane... :twisted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I will definitely keep this thread in mind the next time I am on the highways and byways...... :D

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:34 am
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
"Mass drivers drive like a$$holes and know it. New Hampshire drivers drive like a$$holes and are just oblivious to that fact."

I completely agree with this statement. Then there's NY. Drive into NY on I-90 from MA, as soon as you cross the border into NY enjoy being tailgated for the duration of your time on that road. Seriously. Every. Single. Time. I do that trip 3-4x per year to WNY, and see this every time, getting tailgated all the way to exit 45 3.5+ hours later...

And Kathy, I've always said the same thing about the construction lane closures. But indeed, some folks always have to be in front. My favorite is when in traffic there is some knucklehead cutting folks off constantly as he (usually he) switches lanes in an effort to gain ground. I usually end up right behind or next to those people at the next traffic light, without doing that nonsense :)

Joe, nicely done! :beer:

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:50 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Try driving in houston traffic and then get back to me with these sob stories!!!!!!!!!

Mass drivers definitely are the worst though in the NE.

Greg

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
It's on our highways, but I'd guess it's mostly cars with Mass plates!

Then you are going to have to explain to me the guy, with New Hampshire plates, I was behind yesterday towing a trailer so grossly overloaded with a power lift that the tires were rubbing on the fender on one side, throwing billowing (and noxious smelling) smoke out behind him. He had to have noticed this, and to make things worse he was doing 45 in a 30 MPH zone to boot. I almost wonder how far he got down the road before his tires melted and exploded. :lol:

Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next