Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Musings from a Newbie Road Biker 
Sovereign Woodsman

Musings from a Newbie Road Biker
Yeah the board has been very dead! You know GG isn't around when it goes quiet for that many days.

I've not been hiking, but rather out breaking in my new Cannondale Synapse bike, doing my "Grand Tour" around the perimeter of the state in small chunks, since it isn't feasible for me to do it all at once, but maybe someday! I did some over my April vacation, but the weather was lousy, so I didn't get out much, (biking in snow and rain just doesn't excite me). However I've tried to get some weekends in and so since the board is dead, I'll share what I've learned so far....
-The seacoast is fun to bike ride, with the view of the ocean and their appears to be a large number of roadies, who are refreshingly friendly and helpful if needed! It was great to see people walking, jogging, running, surfing, laying out in the sun, on a gorgeous spring day, lifts ones spirits.
-there are no straight lines to draw to get from point A to B, so parts of this trek are posing a challenge, particularly over in the southwestern corner, and the southeastern corner. I'm trying to do roads where I'm not going to get hit and killed, so my line is going to look a little zig zaggy when it is all said and done. I'm chopping it up doing different sections so, I've gone from Goffstown to stratham, seabrook to odiorne point, west lebanon down to claremont, Hinsdale to Brattleboro and some northerly sections, but it is a work in progress for sure.

-Rte 33 to Stratham has a scary amount of traffic, for some reason it made me nervous, despite the wide roads.

-Hinsdale is the poorest town I've ever seen and a bit frightening, and it still chills me to think about. No road bikers in that corner of the state, fwiw.

-I've seen alot of dead grey squirrels of various states of decay and one which was as thin as a pancake! I also saw a very large possum which was cool.
-banana peels everywhere, now that makes me nuts! They don't decay people!
-America's favorite beer is bud light, but I knew this from running.
-There is an incredible amount of poverty in this state, as well as a significant amount of hoarders!!!
-there are still alot of working farms in this state, just bike route12A, you'll see.
-Most prevalent odor besides auto fumes? Dryer sheets, bbq, sewer plants and cow dung. Occasionally an apple tree, and soon I would assume fresh cut grass.
-keep your mouth shut so you don't eat flies, gross! Wear eye protection to avoid them in ur eyes.
-Still getting used to clip in petals, had baptism by fire, falling to the pavement on Rte 104 in meredith to the amusement of passerbys. Husband says, now that you got that out of the way!.......
-husband personalizes people's dislike for roadies. He tells me when someone revs their engine or speeds up as they go by that means their pissed and he wants to punch them and often will give them the finger. I say, who cares, ignore them and focus on the task at hand.
-with skinny bike tires, flats can happen easily, there is an incredible amount of broken glass on the side of the road, try swerving around that suddenly while speeding downhill and not running into a car!
-cracks in pavement and frost heaves suck big time, no shocks on these bikes, get into a Crack or hole while speeding downhill and your f#$/%^!
We love fresh pavement, wide roads or country back roads with little traffic
-I never realized how much fun biking is and regret not buying one sooner, it is soo much easier than running and u cover so much more distance!
-Still learning how to get up off the damn seat to get up a steep hill, how simple can it be? Not.... but I'm learning.... oh and coming down hills is a blast, but I'm scared but it is quite thrilling, maybe someday I'll be brave and let the darn brake go.
-I realized biking down the Rte 12A that mt. Ascutney is beautiful and it is going to the top of my priority list for hiking.
-there is a ton of traffic in this state, and copious amounts of litter, to the point that I think they need to air that old 70's commercial with the native American with the tear in his eye on the beach. Saddens me to see what slobs we are to destroy our roadsides and waterways, ugh.
- cars do get too close at times and all I can do is take a deep breath that we won't get hit. ever since the 2 ladies died in Hampton on the charity ride from the drug addict killing them, I have that in the back of my mind. most people are ok, but some just don't care and give u no room.
I realize alot of people dislike roadbikes, bit I've learned that sometimes it's not possible to get all the way over to the right due to poor road conditions, and now I have a better appreciation for them!

So, although alot of driving it has been fun to see parts of the state I haven't been to, did u know Northfield Mass on the border has a drive in theatre?

I also am amazed at how distinct it is when u hit the mass border, there is a proverbial line that shows the road deteriorates and hasn't seen fresh pavement since oh like 1950.

So that has been my excitement. :roll:

Tue May 05, 2015 10:19 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Musings from a Newbie Road Biker
hiking lady wrote:
I also am amazed at how distinct it is when u hit the mass border, there is a proverbial line that shows the road deteriorates and hasn't seen fresh pavement since oh like 1950.

That's being awfully kind to the road crews in this state. There's several streets near me that I'm pretty sure do not have a single square INCH of original pavement left. Just cold patch on cold patch on cold patch on - you guessed it - cold patch on.... So don't come biking in MA ;)

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue May 05, 2015 11:48 am
Sovereign Woodsman

In my roadie experience, the STATE roads in NH are in far better shape than the STATE roads in MA. However, the TOWN roads in MA are better than the TOWN roads in NH, the latter being entirely financed by bonds put upon property tax payers.

I can also share some tips on some of your pain points.

Glass - wear cycling gloves and wipe your tires if you've ridden through it. The front tire should be obvious. The rear tire is best done by hooking your thumb around the seat stay so your hand does not get sucked in against the seat post. Most punctures take many revolutions to penetrate the tire casing. Wet roads increase the stickiness of the tires to glass, sand and sharp rocks.

Potholes, frost heaves, RR crossings and other things that cause pinch flats / snake bites - UNWEIGHT the bars and saddle. I.e., use your knees and elbows as shock absorbers. The Cannondale Synapse is considered an "Endurance Bike" meaning it soaks up bumps better than a true racing / criterium frame. DON'T lock your grip or elbows as this forces the front wheel to turn the whole bike when you encounter irregularities in the pavement. Less weight on the hands, a loose grip, and bent elbows mean the front wheel has some leeway in how it tracks. Riding MTBs or CX will improve your road skills as well.

Standing up - PEDAL up and out of the saddle. Lower cadence when standing. Inner thighs should brush the nose of your saddle.

Passing - NH state law REQUIRES 3 feet to pass a car, up to 30 MPH and another 1 foot for every 10 MPH above 30. Most drivers don't know this. You are legally entitled to ride on the left side of the white line, which leaves you some room to veer right, although as you've observed, the shoulder is worse than the rest of the road. As long as you are considerate, and wave cars around/move over as soon as you can, they generally don't get mad. Assholes will be assholes, no matter what.

I know most of the roads in the rectangle with corners in Nashua, Concord, Keene and Sunapee... if you need ideas.

"Cyclists" wear lycra and ride bicycles. "Bikers" wear leather and ride Harleys.

Tim

Tue May 05, 2015 12:19 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing that it's so obvious when I'm off the map! :D

Your quest sounds interesting, a nice way to see this states backroads and scenery and history, which I love, but I think I'd much prefer mountain biking to road biking. Less chance of getting plowed over. Way too many texting and probably drunk drivers for me to put my life in their hands. It's scary enough being on the road with them in a car. And I don't think I'd stick with anything that regularly made me so mad I wanted to punch people in the face and give them the finger. 33 in Stratham on a bike sounds like a death wish! :shock: People go way more than the posted 40 on that one hurrying to and from Portsmouth.

You should get a go-pro and make us some videos of these rides. Likely the only way I'll ever see the streets of NH from a bike.

Tue May 05, 2015 3:40 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

This is one of those ideas that's really cool for somebody else to be doing, a lot like the Hardcore town high-points. Sounds awesome! Somebody should really do this! (But I'm, like, busy that day. . . er something.)

Really interesting observations. I happen to live near and deal with a lot of poverty. Sometimes I forget that it's not like that everywhere, and so then when I drive through some high-dollar touristy lakes region town or something I'm all "Oh wow, all of NH isn't like my little corner after all!" Where I grew up there was some poverty, but MUCH less. . . and pretty well zero REAL money. Almost everybody was middle-class. Both the real poverty and legit wealth were kind of new to me.

Also, I'll admit to disliking sharing the road with cyclists, but in fairness I also dislike sharing the road with other cars, walkers, runners, wild turkeys, construction crews, the aforementioned splashed squirrels. . . so cycle away, we'll be ok.

Tim, ought we call you hikecycleskifish? Not as much ring to it though. And speaking of "cycle," can anybody explain why we (if indeed it's not just me) say "bicycle" like "sickle" but "motorcycle" like "psy-kill?"

Tue May 05, 2015 4:36 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I didn't invent the terms. They were that way 20 years ago when I started riding.

Cyclists (That's me with the arrow pointing at me)

Bikers

Tim

Tue May 05, 2015 7:45 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I like towns that have designated bike lanes - the actual stripe painted on the side of the road and signs reminding you of the three feet rule. Two places come to mind - Scarborough, ME and Watertown MA. I wish the whole country was like this. I' m the opposite of the "aggressive *butthead*." I tend to give a huge space to the cyclists and go slow while passing.

I really enjoyed this report. Keep us up on your rides!

Tue May 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Durham put in a separate bike lane last year. Unfortunately they put it in right along side the parking spots and a cyclist came down the hill right as someone opened their door and it killed them. They removed the bike lane shortly after. Sad, but if you're ever using one, or even just passing close to cars, it's something to think about and watch for.

http://www.wmur.com/news/some-say-bike-lane-may-have-added-to-confusion-in-bicyclists-death/27619320

Tue May 05, 2015 8:48 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Finished my road bike tour around the state, ending at the Canadian border yesterday. I cant believe how pointy the softwood trees are up there. Peak foliage up there btw, the colors seem a little dull this year from the drought maybe? I don't dare count the number of trips, nor the miles biked, but like the 48 4ks, the ending was rather anti climatic, but I enjoyed the journey, until I didnt, but glad I got to see parts of the state I have not seen before and got to have alot of fun riding the bike. It was something I've wanted to do since oh like 1997, so I'm glad to have had the experience. My favorite section was probably dixville notch to errol, down to milan through 13 mile woods. It reinforces what a gorgeous state we live in, as well as my surprise at how much farmland there is. Cars were no issue really and I had alot of fresh pavement which made a big difference and I discovered I really like road biking. Next up, to try a triathlon next year, :D it never ends does it. Gotta love middle age. :roll:

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:13 am

A triathlon?! You take a bad fall and bang your head on this bike tour of yours?! :D

Congrats on finishing the goal Hiking...no wait, Biking La...umm, no Swimming Lady! You must be in terrific shape at this point. I can't even imaging attempting a triathlon. When you set your mind to something you seem to go all in. Hiking every peak with a trail in NH, running a marathon, biking around the state, swimming across who knows what?! Go get 'em!

Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:35 am
Sovereign Woodsman

hiking lady wrote:
husband...wants to punch them and often will give them the finger.

HA HA HA. Don't even know him, but he is my hero. :D
hiking lady wrote:
get into a crack or hole while speeding downhill and your f#$/%^!

NO SH*T, RIGHT???!!!!!

Great ramble HL. I remember when I used to ride my rode bike around Massabesic Lake. I used to go every. single. day. HA HA. I had no friends! I was in pretty good shape and would switch from pedaling my a** off to working balance with sitting upright and riding no hands and swerving left to right. I was probably pretty annoying to drivers. One summer day, sports bra for a top, on one of the no hands sections, sitting up straight, some clown passed me in a Vega - remember them?! - and tossed something out of his window. Well, it flipped and turned and sailed through the air, and the freakin' piece of baloney landed right on my stomach....mustard side IN. Bastard!

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:07 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Kathy wrote:
hiking lady wrote:

hiking lady wrote:

NO SH*T, RIGHT???!!!!!

Great ramble HL. I remember when I used to ride my rode bike around Massabesic Lake. I used to go every. single. day. HA HA. I had no friends! I was in pretty good shape and would switch from pedaling my a** off to working balance with sitting upright and riding no hands and swerving left to right. I was probably pretty annoying to drivers. One summer day, sports bra for a top, on one of the no hands sections, sitting up straight, some clown passed me in a Vega - remember them?! - and tossed something out of his window. Well, it flipped and turned and sailed through the air, and the freakin' piece of baloney landed right on my stomach....mustard side IN. Bastard!

Driving one of the worst cars ever made and eating baloney....clearly this guy has had a string of bad luck.

Your story reminded me that I got hit over the summer when running; it was an apple the guy in the passenger seat simply dropped out the window as they were heading toward me at about 40 mph. Took it right in the chest. To save face, I picked up my pace, but that one stung a bit!

Morons on the road.

Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:19 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Raven wrote:
Kathy wrote:
hiking lady wrote:

hiking lady wrote:

NO SH*T, RIGHT???!!!!!

Driving one of the worst cars ever made and eating baloney....clearly this guy has had a string of bad luck.

Your story reminded me that I got hit over the summer when running; it was an apple the guy in the passenger seat simply dropped out the window as they were heading toward me at about 40 mph. Took it right in the chest. To save face, I picked up my pace, but that one stung a bit!

Morons on the road.

My Dad have many favorite sayings....."Idiots abound!" was one I frequently use myself. :roll:

Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:34 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Ha! Funny kathy! I was fortunate to avoid any food getting flung at me. And yes I remember the classic vega, my best friend in high school had a lemon yellow one and we raised lots of hell in it, along with sleeping in the back of it once to avoid drinking and driving. Yes the thing was a clunker the wheels barely stayed on! Those were the days....

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]