Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 VENT 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

VENT
With my recent diagnosis of cervical disc disease I want to say I'm p*ssed off that I cannot do backpacking of half my body weight anymore. :evil:

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:20 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: VENT
So what are you doing to help the problem? How severe is the disc disease? Is Tylenol and aspirin OK for the pain or is it worse; requiring surgery? If its a rest type of thing, give it awhile.

Greg

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:51 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

HardcoreIdiot wrote:
So what are you doing to help the problem? How severe is the disc disease? Is Tylenol and aspirin OK for the pain or is it worse; requiring surgery? If its a rest type of thing, give it awhile.

Greg

Right now I'm doing psysical therapy. Been REAL diligent on doing my exersizes. Next is hydro therapy. And LOTS of holistic treaments.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:12 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I'm pissed that I cant do half my weight either. 60-65 pounds is about my max and that, sadly, is only a third of my weight. :(

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:27 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Look into all you can on the holistic as well as the other stuff. Look into the effects of diet as well. I have rheumatoid and osteoarthritis, and before taking all that @#$% that will eventually give me other woes I am trying this. A good friend of mine (an older lady who is an optometrist) did this with severe asthma, she did a lot of research on food and turned her life around. About a month ago, I was sick of my left hand going to s#$t (pain, limited movement, etc) and I decided to clean up my diet and behave myself. There has been a lot of improvement in just a few weeks. Last summer my Dr said my bloodwork showed a positive RA factor. He asked if I wanted to see a rheumatologist, but I said I'd try this first, and he was very encouraging (he respects traditional and other types of treatments as long as they're sensible). Maybe you should see what your Dr. thinks.

If you still have to carry a light load, maybe you could look into the ultralight gear (hope your budget is better than mine, though). Best of luck with this!

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:59 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

65lb pack? Leave the color TV and the blender, home........ :lol:

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:56 am
Sovereign Woodsman

You should talk to Cracky, I think he has a busted body but still manages to live a full life of hiking, kayaking, etc. He hasn't posted here in quite some time, but it may be worth Messaging him for what he does to cope.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Sympathies, if this really turns out to not have solutions.

Hiking has become so much a part of my life that I've often wondered what I would do if I had an injury or developed a condition that would make it impossible. Our bodies do tend to break down.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:40 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Petch wrote:
65lb pack? Leave the color TV and the blender, home........ :lol:

That's only in Winter on multi day trips and only until I set up base camp. I think the mountaineering tent alone weighs 11 lbs.

Cracky still runs a nice blog and writes for the paper in Newburyport I think it is. I read it in spurts. Seems like a realy nice guy who'd be happy to talk things over with you if you wanted.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:15 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Beckie and Prema wrote:
... A good friend of mine (an older lady who is an optometrist) did this with severe asthma, she did a lot of research on food and turned her life around. About a month ago, I was sick of my left hand going to s#$t (pain, limited movement, etc) and I decided to clean up my diet and behave myself. There has been a lot of improvement in just a few weeks.

Would you mind sharing what things you eliminated/reduced from your diet that you thought made an improvement? Thanks.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Hike with friends who share the load.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Not at all, but with the disclaimer that RA is an autoimmune disorder and INFLAMMATION is the big issue. Metal Queen has something different; but you never know, so here goes....

Food is like the Marines - no better friend, no worse enemy. And some of the stuff I had enjoyed for years that is very good for you in other ways may aggravate arthritis. And then it varies; some people are hypersensitive and others can slide a little. My friend had also suggested organics and non-gmo's only. She is a semi-retired optometrist, so she has a little more cash to play with at the grocery store. I do what I can with the good ol' USPS salary. But you know what? If you keep an eye out you can actually get some stuff at Market Basket, you don't need to go to Whole Paycheck (as it is called down at NC State in Raleigh). So far I've been behaving 80% (sneaking chocolate here and there accounts for 20% ) and it is improving.

Nightshade plants tend to aggravate it. Tomatoes, bell peppers, potatoes, eggplant, and tobacco. Animal products (except for limited amounts of yogurt), too. I'll be a vegetarian 40 years this month, but for the most past was what this lady calls a "junkatarian." The stuff that's good are Omega 3's (flax seed oil for the veggies, fish oil for everyone else), FRESH pineapple (there is an enzyme in it that is not in canned or frozen), green leafy vegetables, berries, cherries. Just about any good produce other than the nightshade ones. No processed food. Lots of water. Lots of rest. Cut out the crap, basically.

So it's been a few weeks and this has improved 50% and I still slack and cheat a little, so I'm wondering if I was as strict as my friend (who was facing taking steroids for severe asthma the rest of her life and did not have to after making major food changes) would I be moving along faster. Some of my "cheats" - limited caffeine (black tea 2 or 3 times a day), home fries at a fundraiser breakfast the other day, bad sweet tooth :D .

To put it in a few words - anti-inflammatory diet. There is a ton of stuff on line about anti-inflammatory foods. One more thing, osteoarthritis is something totally different. "Wear and Tear" arthritis. My Dr (and a lot of non-traditional folks as well) recommended Glucosamine Chondroiton MSM; taken regularly it will replace what's worn away in those joints.

I've lost about 3 lbs as well. For someone just under 4'11, that is more than it seems. The weight loss also contributes to improvement - less stress on the joints.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:40 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Busting and hauling ass to get back on track. Lost the weight. Doing my psysical therapy exersizes. Aqua therapy next. Woot go me.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:22 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Looks like you're really working on this and making progress! Good luck and keep us posted!

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:03 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

In the next phase of getting my ass back into shape. Fasting and cleansing. Got a personal trainer friend who gave me some real good advise to get back into backpacking shape. I will follow through with it.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next