Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Any readers here? 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Any readers here?
"Paths of Glory," by Jeffrey Archer.

I found this in the break room the other day, with a bunch of books someone had left there. What a find! This is a fictionalized account of George Mallory's life and his Everest adventures. I knew very little about him.

I'm almost halfway through the book. If I didn't have to work I probably would have finished it by now. It's that good. Not only do you feel like you really know the guy, but he seems like someone you'd want to hang out with. Some of it is really funny, how he'd climb ANYTHING! He climbed over a wall to get to a college interview after the gate had been shut. He and a buddy were stranded late at night in Paris and he climbed a good portion of the Eiffel Tower (and got busted) so he could get a view of how best to get back to their hotel (no $ for a hansom cab). The other characters in the story seem so real as well. I'll let you all know how I liked the WHOLE thing after I've finished it.

Historical note - One of the main characters is named Noel Odell, a professor of geology. Later in life, he goes on to teach at Harvard and McGill. So my burning question all day while I was working was, "Is a 'local' landmark named for him?" I guess I'll look that one up now.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:27 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. It's kinda addictive. I really like books that are so addictive that you just want to finish them as quickly as possible.

Last edited by Dave Romney on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:43 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I didn't see "Not Without Peril" on this thread. Too obvious? :) A great read.

I also liked "Mountain Voices".

"Into Thin Air", though not about the Whites, was riveting, too.

Maybe I should give "A Walk in the Woods" another try. When I read it 10-15 years ago, I felt as though much of the author's humor was aimed toward putting down hikers. I found that annoying, particularly given his stunning lack of preparation for the hike. But, seeing that everyone on here that mentioned it liked it, I'm guessing I'm wrong!

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2