Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Vaca to St Martin - Advice requested 
Master Mountaineer

Vaca to St Martin - Advice requested
Has anyone here every been to St Martin and Anguilla?

We're going this summer, and are staying for 7 days in San Maarten. We just decided to add 4 more days to the trip, and are looking for places in either French St Martin or Anguilla.

I'm curious if anyone has ever been, can lend suggestions, or knows of that little hidden-gem that the internet won't turn up.

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

BTW - this trip includes a highpointing adventure up the volcano on Saba Island: highest point in the Dutch kingdom.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:31 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

sounds like a good trip. my only stop there was for a day on a cruise. the beach on the French side is amazing however. lots of nice scenery in many forms. I don't remember seeing a lot about hiking like I did on St Thomas and St John but I wasn't really looking that hard either. It was strictly a beach day.

The best advice I can give you is when you cross the stone wall that marks where it turns from topless to fully nude look towards the ocean. it appears 400 pound Italian guys with gold chains and lots of body hair really really like to flock to nude beaches. :shock:

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:59 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

My advice is to hire an assistant to carry your bags, fetch your drinks, and do whatever menial tasks you require. A room and some food is all I require. 8)

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:36 pm

In saint martin, there is a really nice hiking perch near where the cruise ships dock. You have to hike through some urban areas and past a prison, but you can get some outstanding views from that little peak.

Here is a geocache link to it with some pictures:
http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1B ... -viewpoint

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:20 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Have a good trip iagreewithjamie.
That panoramic shot from the top looks nice!

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:41 am

:? What's up with the site delays and double posts today??

Last edited by Granite Guy on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:07 am

Also, if you have time and want to hop a puddle jumper over to St. John that's where you'll probably find the best hking, since much of it is a US National Park. Mountan trails, secret spots, the ruins of old island villas etc are some of the things I read about. There's a great map by NH's very own Trail Bandit out there. You could probably satisfy the hiking bug there if nothing else works for you.

http://www.trailbandit.org/

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:09 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Well my first suggestion you have covered, the island HP. From St Martin, I took a catamaran day trip over to St Barts. That was great. I also stayed in Anguilla. I would def recommend the Malliouhana to stay, but if not at least for dinner. The food was tremendous. The hotel also hooked us up with a diver. I had never been diving before, but there was a short class in the dive shop, then out to the water with equip wading out to get used to the apparatus, then the boat trip for the dive. Even if you have never been on a dive before this was great way to spend the day. Regardless of what you do, sounds great.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:00 pm
Master Mountaineer

Great suggestions, all.

I checked out many of the hiking suggestions, and turned up some real gems. I think we're gonna do most hiking in Saba as its renowned for its ecotourism. All the photos I've seen are beautiful, and noticeably devoid of people.

RockQuarrie: The Malliouhana has closed, but they are planning to reopen later this year. I'm on the mailing list to get first reservations should they open in time.

This is going to be great. There are so many great trails right in the middle of the Caribbean. She wanted beach, I wanted mountains. Looks like a winner.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]