Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Good DVD to watch while exercising? 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Good DVD to watch while exercising?
To be clear, what I'm looking for is a good DVD to watch while on an elliptical machine. Not an how to exercise video. What I'm looking for is something to take the excruciating boredom out of the routine. Something like a walk, hike, or bike through the woods.

I'll try goggling it next but I'm sure 90% or better of the hits will be exercise videos. I thought maybe someone might now of one of the type I described.

Thanks

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:18 am

Speaking of Googling I know there was a discussion on the merits of and likes/dislikes about this somewhere around here a while back but the virtual hikes google is doing like this one might be right up your alley.

http://www.gizmag.com/google-street-view-grand-canyon/26098/

I don't know if there's any other yet but they'd definitely be cool if they had a National Parks series so to speak. I know id watch.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:43 am

And a quick Google search comes up withy this info. Ill be checking all this out even if not bored to death on an eliptical.

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2013/11/take-hike-with-street-view-through-us.html

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:51 am

Also while I'm at it, I don't watch much TV but whenever these things are on I can't take my eyes off them. They're the Smithsonian Channels Aerial America series shows. Very cool to see the country state by state from the air I think. Not a quite a virtual hike but a virtual birds eye view.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_7?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=aerial+america&sprefix=aerial+%2Cinstant-video%2C707

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:13 am
Sovereign Woodsman

If you have a Netflix enabled device there are tons of nature related shows/documentaries yadda yadda. Netflix is pretty cheap. If I remember correctly its 8 or 9 bucks a month.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:37 pm

thegibba wrote:
If you have a Netflix enabled device there are tons of nature related shows/documentaries yadda yadda. Netflix is pretty cheap. If I remember correctly its 8 or 9 bucks a month.

Yeah, but I need a device to be able to get Netflix on the tv which I don't have. Thought about Ariel America but am hoping for some sort of jaunt in the woods type of deal. Will keep looking.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:14 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Joe,

You can get DVD/Blu-ray players that connect to the internet and have apps for Netflix (and other services) for under $60. The Blu-ray player I have has a Youtube app too, which means you have a pretty wide range of videos you can watch.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/smart-wi-fi ... 5&st=wi-fi

Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Well, you'll have to wait a bit for this one but I loved the book (A Walk In The Woods) and am excited for the movie. Big names too so hopefully it'll be decent, but not a virtual step by step thing I'm sure.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1178665/

And there's this, but its in slide show format and not movie. Probably lots more like it out there too.

http://govirtualhike.com/

And Hiker0200 and Keyz have dozens of video taped hikes on you tube you could watch and I'm sure many other people do too.

And if all else fails, and I do mean ALL else, I used to hike with a camcorder and then put together dvds with 10 to 20 minute movies and a slideshow from many hikes similar to what Hiker0200 does with those you tube videos, only we were bigger idiots, but if you can stand the idiot narrator and participants they're all yours! :wink: For that matter I can give you 6 hour virtual road trips from week long road trips across country too, but something tells me you can find something better to watch with your time.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:24 pm

BobC wrote:
Joe,

You can get DVD/Blu-ray players that connect to the internet and have apps for Netflix (and other services) for under $60. The Blu-ray player I have has a Youtube app too, which means you have a pretty wide range of videos you can watch.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/smart-wi-fi ... 5&st=wi-fi

Send me the $60 Bob and I'll get one. But I can get a cheap DVD player at Walmart for $25 and no subscription to Netflix. Which is all I'm looking for. :wink: Just need to find a couple dvd's like I'm looking for. Which I think I found. :)

http://www.vitadvds.com/

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:10 pm

I'll probably pick-up a couple but I think the Mt Desert Island, bike ride / jogging will be perfect. :D

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:24 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Not really what you're looking for (but maybe somebody else will enjoy the suggestion?), but by far the most interesting outdoors/mountain related thing I've seen was season 1 of the Discovery Channel series "Everest, Beyond the Limit." It's a (for lack of a better term) reality show that follows a commercial guide company working to help get a season's worth of clients to the summit. I don't have Discovery Channel but watched it on Netflix, and have actually bought the season (for under $20) as gifts for a couple of people on dvd, so it's readily available.

For what it's worth, the show looks like it ran 3 seasons, but the drama isn't nearly as interesting in seasons 2 and 3, IMO.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
I used to hike with a camcorder and then put together dvds with 10 to 20 minute movies and a slideshow from many hikes similar to what Hiker0200 does with those you tube videos

You just gave me an idea :wink: . I was thinking of doing something similar when I finish the 4Ks, but I could make a DVD set with nice, relaxing hike video clips. I would just need to do some editing.

As for videos to watch while on your elliptical- myself, WeRmudfun, and Keyz all have nice videos.

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Last edited by hiker0200 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:32 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I will second the everest beyond the limit. Really, the first season is fantastic. You can also watch bear grylls do particularly unsafe stuff also. Good comedy if you need.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:32 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Good question. Some come to mind, but only you can decide if they meet your needs. Here are 3 suggestions.

Southbounders
Unbreakable: The Western States 100
The Way

Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]