Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Self defense items while hiking! :-) 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Self defense items while hiking! :-)
Hey everyone! So, I just started selling some awesome stuff to keep us hikers safe on the trail....other than a gun or a knife! haha I am selling personal protection equipment geared toward women (guys can have them too) with Damsel in Defense. Stun guns, pepper spray and more! Check it out and please like my business page on fb if you have a moment! Or check out my website! Thanks for the support!

https://www.facebook.com/damselpro3205.steffanie?ref=hl

http://www.mydamselpro.net/STEFFANIEDAMBOISE/

NH 4ks- 32/48 :-)
NH Winter 4ks- 1/48

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:29 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Have you ever read the book The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker? It's a lot of great stuff about paying attention to your intuition instead of ignoring it and fluffing it off as paranoia like most of us do these days. It also tells you what to look and listen for so you can tell when people are lying to you or may have bad intentions. Awesome read for anyone (and especially women) who are conscientious about self defense.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:02 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Hey there! I haven't read that book but I wrote it down and I will check it out! I am all about listening to my "woman intuition" all the time... Especially while I'm hiking! I drove 2 hours to do Garfield solo...I hiked about an hour in and I just got horrible feelings...something/someone was telling me to turn around!! I couldn't ignore it so I turned around. I drove 2 hours to hike 2 hours to drive 2 hours home!! But i was totally ok with it!

NH 4ks- 32/48 :-)
NH Winter 4ks- 1/48

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:47 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Yeah I know the feeling. My sister and I were on our first overnight trip on our own, we had hiked Osceola that day and were camping at a nearby campground, and planned on hiking another peak the next day. We had been having a good time at camp all night, were sitting by the fire and suddenly we were both hit with an overwhelming feeling of dread. It got so bad in such a short time, coupled with all the weird things we had experienced over the course of the day that we decided to break camp and drive home that night. I don't think we've ever broken camp so quickly in our lives. I still get nervous driving on Tripoli road because of that night.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

feeling of dread? couldn't be the people who have died in the past during the logging years? could it? I'm not sure of the supernatural but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of impossibility.

A can of bear mace and an ice axe would sure make short work of anyone close range im sure.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:13 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I believe there are things at work in the world that we don't understand. Whether this particular instance was something supernatural or not I don't know. I just know when everything in me is screaming at me to get out of there, I'll move first and ask questions later. Especially considering that's the one and only time something like that has happened to me while out enjoying nature, it's not like I'm always worried about the boogie man.

Also, you can't go wrong with bear mace definitely!

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:56 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

A sizabale dog can work as defense as well. Just their presence canbe enough to deter someone with foul intentions.

On a side note, I have thought to have heard voices while hiking along Sabbaday Brook Tr only to see no one for several miles. I too was thinking of men who lost their lives while logging in the Whites.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:23 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

When my sister and I hike our dog's are always our trail buddies, not only to make us feel a bit more comfortable but also because it's great to see the dogs enjoying the mountain as much as we do.

When I felt threatened by a stranger once I actually told him that my dog is unfriendly, which is very untrue, but he believed me and went away. It's the one time I've been glad that many people don't like "pit bull type" dogs.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:17 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Important to pay attention to intuition... your gut. When I hike it is typically just my dog and I on the trail and, fortunately, I have only had one time when I felt very uneasy. I came upon a group of three men, who did not look like "hikers" (no packs, casual footwear etc.), were drinking from a stream that flowed down the middle of the trail and were peeing close by said stream. I knew Simon, my dog, and I could out pace them so we just booked it by them. I also knew that it was a very popular trail so felt safe enough continuing knowing there were other people around. Under other circumstances I would have been out of there.

But, I must say I have been thinking more and more of carrying some sort of deterrent with me....

"There is no greater faith, than the faith of a great dog."
Anonymous

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:48 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Loved this part of your Facebook page:

NEED LAST MINUTE GIFTS??? I have lots of $10 pepper sprays, $10 key chain alarms, and $10 kubatons!! I have one Striking Distance stun gun in pink left. ($60) I have a few Pack a Punch stun guns left. 2 lime and 1 blue. ($50) I also have a couple Road Trip auto tools ($25).

And here I was scrambling at the last minute, buying boring stuff for my mom like keychains and bracelets. Who knew I could have got her the gift of a stun gun and martial arts weapons?!?!?

Also kind of sad I missed the guessing game. Whee!!! Free pepper spray!!!

**FREE PRODUCT** **3 DAY GUESSING GAME** Guess how many 'jewels' are in the wine glass. I gave you a few different views to help you out! 1 guess per person per day! So guess everyday!! Winner gets a FREE PEPPER SPRAY!! And who knows...maybe I'll pick two winners! (whoever gets the closest number over or under)

Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:51 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Re: Self defense items while hiking! :-)
Dauper00 wrote:
Hey everyone! So, I just started selling some awesome stuff to keep us hikers safe on the trail....other than a gun or a knife! haha I am selling personal protection equipment geared toward women (guys can have them too) with Damsel in Defense. Stun guns, pepper spray and more! Check it out and please like my business page on fb if you have a moment! Or check out my website! Thanks for the support!

https://www.facebook.com/damselpro3205.steffanie?ref=hl

http://www.mydamselpro.net/STEFFANIEDAMBOISE/

What a great information, I love it so much.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:13 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Don't forget about bear spray. It works both against curious bears and dangerous people.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:39 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Henri Lansbury wrote:
Don't forget about bear spray. It works both against curious bears and dangerous people.

Hmm, now, to determine which is much scarier than the other. :lol:

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:56 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

i only have a pepper spray and stun gun

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:33 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I think my flashlight.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]