Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Carpool help/software - making the job easier 
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Carpool help/software - making the job easier
I've been organizing day hikes for flatlanders from a large metropolitan area that begins with a "B" and ends with an "N". My biggest problem has nothing to do with hiking; It's car pools.

Here's the deal - a bunch of folks from Boston proper, many who don't have cars, some that do have cars. Using meetup.com, the participants come from random locations. Everyone wants to carpool, but people come and go from carpools right up to the last minute. It's impossible to figure out who has rides to offer and who needs a ride. Even though someone is matched to a driver, the driver or passenger may change plans. I'd love to see a web site that can coordinate all this stuff. Perhaps based on proximity?

Forget the spreadsheet - that has become an major time sink (hours). I'd rather have a self-serve model. The meetup.com message board stinks; there is no organization - It's like using Facebook.

I've searched the web, and it seems not even the Soccer Moms have conquered this one. Good business opportunity?

Right now, I am going to assign someone to manually do this dirty job.

Thoughts?

"I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks." D. Boone

Last edited by billski on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:35 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

This barely comes close to what you want, but I thought I'd mention that with Google Maps, you can create one spot to map several locations. I discovered this on one of my favorite sites, http://www.nhmountainhiking.com

Check out the page where many Google Maps are linked to:
http://www.nhmountainhiking.com/hike/lists/google.html

I wonder if, at least as a starting point, you could create a Google Map with all of the carpool locations? That way, if a Meetup was created, you could post a link to that map and people could at least easily figure out which carpool location was closest to them.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:58 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Thanks.
Thanks. I make maps already with destination points based on geo coordinates. Getting there isn't the problem. It's getting people into cars and keeping them there that is where it all falls apart.

What makes meetup so tough is that there are no real commitments; some people change their minds at the last minute.

"I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks." D. Boone

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]