Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Ward Reservation Re-do 
Sovereign Woodsman

Ward Reservation Re-do
For those who may not know, here in Mass we have an organization called Trustees of Reservations. They manage many properties, large and small, all over the state. Crane's Beach is a well-known one. Another is the Ward Reservation, which spans Andover and North Andover. It has a real bog, forested areas, meadows, and Solstice Hill (Essex County High Point - an impressive 450 feet - you can see Boston from here). I'm sure Cracky and family have left their foot prints here on many occasions.

We went yesterday. We had not been in over a year and were in for a surprise. Many improvements have been done. The parking lot has been enlarged, there is an informative kiosk there, as well as at other entrances. Steps have been added to a particularly steep eroded section between the bog and the old orchard (let's pretend we're at Middle sugarloaf :lol:).

But the big one is this. As with many former farmlands, the forest quickly re-establishes itself. On the kiosk, there are photos of how things looked many years ago. Far more open spaces, no scrub brush. Not only is this a visual thing, but a habitat issue as well. Many of the animals who live in meadows needed more of those open spaces. So several acres of trees had been removed (and no, these birds and mammals DO NOT call Owl's Head and Hale home :lol: ). Much as I dislike seeing trees come down, the results are good.

So if anyone is looking for a good place (and it's nice in winter, too, we ski there) in the Merrimack Valley area, a place with great variety that's easy to get to, come on over.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:32 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Ward Reservation Re-do
Beckie and Prema wrote:
Much as I dislike seeing trees come down, the results are good.

So if anyone is looking for a good place (and it's nice in winter, too, we ski there) in the Merrimack Valley area, a place with great variety that's easy to get to, come on over.

I think I'll be adding this one to my list. Sounds like a great place to take the kids sometime when we don't have all day or want to stay sort of local. Sounds very similar to Agamenticus actually, where they also did a lot of viewscaping last winter. I agree that as much as I don't ike to see trees logged off the habitat it creates is needed and the views it creates are very much welcomed. Thanks for sharing this one.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]