Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 outdoor class title? 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

outdoor class title?
So I landed a job as a 4th grade teacher in Lawrence and one of the most exciting parts is I get to teach an enrichment class twice a week. I'll be teaching an outdoor skills kind of class.

We're going to start with some low ropes/games for team building (the principal really wants this aspect). We will building shelters and learning the principals of leave no trace. I am hoping we'll get permission to either go to a state forest or a hike to end the course.

My only problem is I need a title for the course and can't think of anything decent. Any ideas?

NH 4K: 48/48
NH W4K: 48/48
NE67: 67/67
NEHH: 90/100
NH 4k each season: 192/192

Trail adopter of Osseo Trail (upper portion)

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:56 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Wow!!!! I live in Lawrence so this is exciting for me! So exciting that I had to reply before I could think of an answer to your question. But I'll be thinking hard. This is just what Lawrence kids need! Thanks you, Allison! Remember, we've got Den Rock Park right outside the city on 114 - trails, wetlands, and good rock climbing (ask Cracky :)).

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:42 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I'm excited I get an opportunity to do this! Thanks for your suggestion. I looked it up and the park looks perfect! It's only 10 minutes away too.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:02 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Contact Phil at sectionhiker.com

He has done a few LNT classes for Boy Scouts, etc. I think he would love the opportunity to present a lecture or help you develop the course.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:46 am
Master Mountaineer

That's great, Allison. Outdoor programs are the best way to get kids to put down the video game controller for a little while.

When I was in school (in Alabama) we were required to take Outdoor Education, Plants and Animal identification (because things in Alabama will kill you), and Hunter Safety (just 'coz we were rednecks). The 4-H club had a huge presence on our campus, and many of the protected woods in our city were created by the generations of 4-H members who had planted them. It was so rewarding as students to spend time in the woods learning about the environment - its learning that you can actually see and touch.

One particular class called "Education Outside the Classroom" focused on all things wilderness. It included trail building, wilderness survival, leave no trace, etc. Sounds very similar to what you're doing. Good luck!

Who needs actions when you got words?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:29 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Thanks everyone for the help! I'm really looking forward to getting these kids outside. I try to teach as much as I can with hands on experiences. This will definitely be a lot of fun. I'm curious to learn how much/little experience each student has in the outdoors.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:36 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

MassAudobon has a great place in Topsfield. AVIS properties (Andover village Improvement Society), as well. Plenty of ideas where to take them, but no name yet!

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:27 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Still no name, but an idea for getting one. Several years back, my Aunt Mary (in her 70s at the time, very active in all sorts of community stuff) got Prema and me to join her in a project Lawrence Community Works was doing - taking a vacant property and abandoned school that used to be her old church - and turning it into a community center. The committee had EVERYONE - Hispanics, Anglos, young, old, former St. Lawrence O'Toole parishoners, that was the closed church. We raised some $$$ through yard sales, dinners, etc, foundations donated the rest. In the early stages, the group discussed what would be the name for the new center. They chose "Our House." Not only did it reflect the family feel to the group, but it sounded good in the two languages most spoken there (Nuestra Casa). The reason I'm bringing this up is, if you don't need a name before the start of the school year, maybe the kids would like to brainstorm and come up with one!

Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:27 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

For a title, these are probably a little too much on the wise-guy side, but I thought I'd throw 'em out there anyhow:

Fourth Grade Unplugged

Thinking Outside the Box (Classroom)

The Outdoors: It Isn't Just for Recess Anymore

It's a great thing you're doing--good luck!

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]