Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Hip Flexor Pain 
Sovereign Woodsman

Hip Flexor Pain
I think I have figured out that I have this. Maybe part of getting older, but I suffer from pain deep inside where the leg joint meets the hip joint, so walking is painful basically. Initially I thought it was from my hip fracture a few years ago that has been reinjured a few times with falling from skiing or on ice, but from what I've learned, it is from sitting on one's butt for a living and the muscles contracting and then when one stands up and it hurts like a you know what, resulting in lower back pain. Which explains why I bend over when I first get up a few steps before being able to stand straight. (sounds like I need yoga or something). I found some exercises on you tube to try, (haven't yet, with no excuse other than laziness). I keep hoping it will go away as my strength and endurance increase, but it doesn't it gets worse. Anyone suffer from this?? Basically it feels painful to walk. I think some athletes suffer from this also. Not sure if anyone out there has any clue what I am talking about or has experienced it, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:22 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Do this - http://angiestewart-gokafitness.com/nam ... _lunge.jpg

With tight hip flexors it's the best/easiest way I've found to stretch them out.

There is a stretch that I've done in yoga that also felt really good for my hip flexors - http://0.tqn.com/d/yoga/1/0/f/7/downdogsplitopen.jpg

When I do it it doesn't look quite that good. But go into down dog, lift one leg up behind you, bend the knee, and let the foot fall to the opposite side of the body. Tough to explain.

I get tight hip flexors if I bike a lot and forget to stretch them. It then has some negative consequences for my lower back (that whole "everything's connected" thing)....so off to the chiro I go.

I vote stretch, stretch, and stretch.

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:27 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Heard this piece on NPR (see link & give it a listen). I certainly find relevance in it. In younger days we just fidgeted at our desks more but as you get older that just becomes less & less likely. You'll pay a price for contorting your body into the poor ergonomics of a modern workspace. Rather than Hip Flexor Pain... I have a frozen shoulder from holding my right arm in the same position over a computer mouse since 1987. The pain can be nauseating when it flares up. Prescription drugs & physical therapy are the fix but there is no cure.

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/25/135575490 ... ight-think

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]