Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Hookset Tolls Confusion - a cautionary tale 
Sovereign Woodsman

Hookset Tolls Confusion - a cautionary tale
Just a heads up for those who don't have EZ Pass... With the barriers, vehicles, signs, etc. I found it easy to end up where you don't want to be. We went to the book release event in Concord for Buffalo and Tough Cookie (a wonderful event which will be another topic). Managed to stay out of trouble north bound, but on the way home I found the signage a little confusing. The flashing arrow had a sign saying "EXIT", which I thought was to get off 93. We continued on, I saw another flashing arrow, but NO exit to get into the "toll" lane. So now I probably owe some $$$$. Don't be like me, pay close attention. :(

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:20 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

To clarify: if you don't have EZ Pass you should stay to the right as always.

An article I read in the Telegraph said the non-EZ Pass folks going through the high-speed toll would be sent a "bill" for the toll plus a small processing fee ($1.50 extra). The entire system is pretty cool, here's the article:
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/business ... ksett.html

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:14 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

They did the same high speed thing a couple years ago at the Hampton tolls. The first time I went through it I was also a little confused but once you realize where you want to be the next time it's great. I wish Maine would get one on the pike there so I dont have to go around their toll booths on route 1 and 1A every holiday weekend I go there. I wouldn't mind paying the toll at all but waiting in line for hours to pay it isn't much fun. I'd rather take the slow paced but faster in the end way through Wells, York and Kittery. I really wouldn't even care if it tok longer, as long as it's moving.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:35 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

What's confusing some, I think, is the fact that there is a 2-way arrow for the second EZ-Pass lane. Not sure if you know what I mean. Instead of 2 arrows straight for the ez-pass lanes, the right hand one has a 2-way arrow over. As soon as I saw it I knew it would have non-ez-pass people heading up the ez-pass lane. It's set up a tad different at the Hampton tolls.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:40 am
Master Mountaineer

At least you folks in NH have a highway department capable of using at least 5th grade logic. The tolls in MA were designed by someone who wanted to create the most ineffective solution to a problem ever. Way to go, NH - do it right.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:46 am
Sovereign Woodsman

iagreewithjamie wrote:
At least you folks in NH have a highway department capable of using at least 5th grade logic. The tolls in MA were designed by someone who wanted to create the most ineffective solution to a problem ever. Way to go, NH - do it right.

That right there is the entire state of MA's transit theory. Not restricted to just tolls... But MA is allegedly finally switching over to open lane tolling in the next few years. That'll probably be done completely wrong, take 3x longer than it should and cost 10x budgeted (Big Dig anyone?)...but I digress.

I first ran into open lane tolling in DE 7 years ago, and while confusing the first time (also didn't have a transponder at that point in time) I now know how to handle them when I see them. I've never had a delay at the Hookset tolls (I don't go through there in peak weekday rush hour mind you) and never minded slowing down to the 20mph or whatever their EZ-Pass speed is in the booths, but this doesn't hurt any :D

Nice to hear NH is only hitting you for toll+small admin fee if you go through without a transponder. A friend of mine got confused by open lane tolling the first time he saw it (it was night which doesn't help) and blew through the lane without a transponder. He got a $25 bill (it was a $1 toll) in the mail IIRC. Perhaps the EZ-Pass system has changed since that happened.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:04 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

You may want to be particularly careful if you're in a rental car. From what I've been told, after the rental car company pays the toll and the additional processing fee to the toll agency, they can come after you for that total amount plus an additional processing fee for their trouble. I don't know this firsthand, but I've heard horror stories of an additional $15-20 being tacked on to the rental car bill in some locations.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks for all your replies! After I posted, I went to the NH DOT website and read that they would be sending me a bill, so it doesn't look too bad. At least now I'll know what to look for next tme.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

No problems coming home (Sunday). this time!

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:09 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Went through the North-bound one Friday night, weee!

Yesterday afternoon, c.a. 2PM, went through at 20mph....random traffic slowdown there for no reason whatsoever :roll: (there weren't even that many cars and it was fine on the other side of the tolls)

They are signed a bit differently than the other open-road tolling roads I've driven through on the East Coast. A little less in-your-face about EZ-Pass only on the left, easy to miss the one(?) sign if you aren't familiar with it. But once you've done it once or twice, should be second nature.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:45 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Got my notice today. All it was is a $2.00 charge. A buck for the toll and a buck for processing. What a great state! Other places would fine you.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]