Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Calling all DSLR owners 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

That would be a very handy feature. I often bracket in bright sunlight because even if I use the screen to compose or review I can't see if things are coming out how I want them to all the time. My old Kodak had that feature. Ate up battery life though. Maybe that's part of the reason cameras don't all have it.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:54 am

Granite Guy wrote:
That would be a very handy feature. I often bracket in bright sunlight because even if I use the screen to compose or review I can't see if things are coming out how I want them to all the time. My old Kodak had that feature. Ate up battery life though. Maybe that's part of the reason cameras don't all have it.

But not in the the view finder. Or on the screen for that matter on my Olympus. Never had an issue with battery life. But that's 4 AA nickel cadmium rechargeables. I guess the older cameras are better. :roll:

Found the review you were talking about on the Nikon. It says in the effects mode you have live preview. I'll have to check that out. But I think that's something different than just shooting in manual.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:00 am
Sovereign Woodsman

[quote="JustJoeI'm going to ask someone first hand if their Cannon SX50 has this capability [/quote]

Yes.

Sincerely,
Someone

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:36 am

Back on this kick again. Since I don't feel like going back and seeing if this was asked or answered, I'm asking again.

Which is more important as far as reproducing what you see. The body, or the lens. i.e., where do I put my money? Or is it the perfect match of both?

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:12 am
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
Which is more important as far as reproducing what you see. The body, or the lens. i.e., where do I put my money? Or is it the perfect match of both?

Most important: the guy behind the camera ;)

But to answer your question, the glass.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:38 am

Unless you shoot fast action photos its definitely the lens for clarity, contrast and color accuracy. Much of that can be touched up with editing software now but clarity is hard to enhance. If you need really high burst rates maybe its 50-50.

I currently use a Canon 60D and Rebel T2I. Both have the same sensor (megapixels/sensor size) and processors. One has a lot more bells and whistles so it costs 3x as much so the lens is what makes the biggest difference in the final image.

Cheaper cameras with less features are actually smaller and lighter, although not necessarily as durable or weatherproof. If you can get a cheaper/smaller/lighter body that has a good sensor and spend more money on a better lense I think that's a great combo for hiking even though an extra half pound likely doesn't matter to you.

Also, unless you've moved far far away with your recent relocation I still have the Rebel T2I with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses that you're welcome to mess around with anytime. Most of the time it just gathers dust.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:49 am

I was figuring lens but since there's such a wide range of prices in bodies I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the offer GG, I think you made that offer before. But I don't want to be responsible for someone else's equipment.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:05 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Canon users will tell you Nikon sucks.

Nikon Users will tell you Canon sucks.

Pentax users will tell you they are just as good as Canon and Nikon, but that no one cares to listen to them. :D

But in the end, camera body differences really come down to one thing....user features. Yes yes, there are differences in sensors, but really, we are at the point, technology wise, that now we are nitpicking rather fine differences.

So all that was a long way of saying.....the lens is more important than the body. 8)

Brian

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:11 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

... and Sony users relax smug in the knowledge that Sony *rocks* ;)

But yes, I basically agree with Brian - camera bodies are more about features than IQ, with some very small distinctions in ISO capability.
But particular features may be really important .

For example, I'd be very hard pressed to give up my electronic viewfinders or my a77's focus peaking or HSS.

I havent looked at cameras in this range for a while, but I'd want to look at some of the Sony E-mount cameras; unfortunately they don't accept the lenses I have :(

Joe you like zooming so much ... how are you going to handle that?
I have a 500mm lens, from which I can squeeze an equivalent 1500mm, but it is a major pain to carry :O!

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:24 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Hell, Sony makes some of the sensors for Nikon cameras.

Just look at the value of slightly older bodies vs slightly older lenses. The glass holds its value higher much longer. I've been learning to use the camera in manual mode so a lot of the fancy features go to waste on me lately. Some bodies allow a higher degree of tuning as to the ISO and some take more pictures per second. And of course moar meguhpixels. That's what I've noticed between older and newer models of Nikon. A Cool feature I've never used until recently is an articulated display to take pics of wildlife behind an obstacle so they don't see me.

To me. Camera companies are like a religion. They all believe in the same thing. There are just different ways of going about it. Go into a best buy or a Photoshop and try out cameras to see what interface you like. You will be married to it for a long while.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Re: Calling all DSLR owners
BUMP!

OK, here we go with round 3, 4,.....5? 8) I've got a few weeks to learn how to use one of these should I go this route. Soooo, another question. Still looking at Nikon but there's something more to decide as it turns out.

Nikon DSLR's have 2 formats, DX & FX. As far as I can tell by reading, other than the higher cost and weight of the FX, it's the focal length. The DX crops, the FX does not. In other words, a 24mm lens in FX is 24mm. The same lens in DX is 35mm. This is as I understand it. Is there a huge advantage in, Nikon's, FX format? I seem to remember something being mentioned in this thread about this but there's too many pages to go back and read through. Because if there is not a huge advantage, this is what I'm close to going for.

Camera Body

Lens 1

Lens 2

Thanks

Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:58 am
Sovereign Woodsman

All I know is that the FX format is more $$$$$$$$$$. :shock: I've become so used to my Nikon DX gear and compensating for the crop factor when shooting and composing, that it's become second nature. I'd love to go full-frame, but I also gotta eat. 8)

Looks like the gear you have there is a nice set-up. The "bonus" with using that 18-300 with a DX sensor is that your long end will be a 450mm equivalent. I have the old 18-200 VR, but never use it.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:07 am

Dingo wrote:
All I know is that the FX format is more $$$$$$$$$$. :shock: I've become so used to my Nikon DX gear and compensating for the crop factor when shooting and composing, that it's become second nature. I'd love to go full-frame, but I also gotta eat. 8)

Looks like the gear you have there is a nice set-up. The "bonus" with using that 18-300 with a DX sensor is that your long end will be a 450mm equivalent. I have the old 18-200 VR, but never use it.

Thanks. Now I just need to pull the trigger. It's still a good chunk of change.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:48 am
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
It's still a good chunk of change.

True. Wait until you start collecting lenses. 8)

Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:01 am

DISCLAIMER!! :D This is all just my opinion. If you take any of my advice and wind up disagreeing it's not my fault. Don't blame me if you wind up wishing you had any other combinations of lenses. That's what EBAY is for! :wink:

I've probably said much of this before, but I too am too lazy to look it up. So, what Dingo said about extra zoom reach. That, and the lighter weight, is the big advantage to the crop bodies and the dedicated wider angle lenses for them have now, besides the price. I too would love full frame for the very best image quality but it comes at a really high price and if you're not dedicated to selling the photos I don't think it's worth it.

But here's my thoughts on the whole package you have there. The body makes me drool. The specs and features actually make me want to sell my stuff on EBAY and swith to Nikon to have it, if not immediately next time I upgrade. I'll probably stick with Canon as the 70D might be similar, but I haven't really compared them so don't know.

EDIT: Compared them. I'll probably stick with Canon! :D

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-70D-vs-Nikon-D7200

But those lenses give me pause. Photo styles are personal so this might just be me, but while having the everyday walk around lens as the 18 - 300 would cover most things you'd want to shoot, it's HUGE, and probably very heavy to hike with around your neck or in hand all the time, and I think the 18 at the wide end is good but maybe not quite as wide as you're going to want. I use a 15 - 85 for my walk around and the extra few MM makes a big difference to me in the final pics and wide angle feel they have. The Nikon sensor is slightly less cropped and their 16 - 85 is pretty much the same thing. The 85 is a decent zoom range and great for people shots. That's a much more usable range for hiking IMO. Probably slightly higher image quality throughout the range too for the 16 - 85 and it weighs half as much. Then if you need the zoom you can change lenses if you get the 55 - 300 to go with it. That's about as superzoomy as you can get in DSLR for less than a few grand. I'd see the 18 - 300 as more of a tourist in Europe lens than a good one for the hiking trails, but maybe that's just me.

What you have listed...

23.9 oz. for the body
16.2 oz. ($900) for the 10 - 24
29.3 oz. ($1000) 18 - 300

69.4 oz. 4.5 lbs of camera there (2.8 lbs of lenses), and 3 1/2 lbs of it with the lens you might have on it most of the time. And $1900 for the two lenses.

17.1 oz. ($700) for the 16 - 85
18.7 oz. ($400) for the 55 - 300

That's 59.7 oz. of stuff, but more importantly only 2 1/2 lbs (a whole pound less) off the combo with the lens you'll probably use the most. Saves you 800 dollars off the lenses too, although it's your money, so spend away if you wish! :D

The really wide angle lenses (more than 15mm on the wide end) are pretty artistic and specific in what you can do with them. Dingo uses his a lot with great results, I have a 10 - 18 I use but less than him, maybe only 10% of the time, and use the 300mm zoom maybe another 10% of the time, and usually just for wildlife or superzooms. So if you really want to get into the composition of photos with foregrounds and angles and really wanted the extra wide angle you'd still have the money to go out and buy it. But if all you want is more of the high quality point and shoot with the ability to better compose a few shots per trip into "photographs" instead of "pics" (for lack of better terms) I don't think you'll find yourself using the 10mm end of that one very often and the 16 - 85 might be a better alternative.

Or maybe spend some of the savings on a 35mm 1.8 for a couple hundred bucks and start playing around with big aperture shots and have a good low light normal lens or a macro for close ups.

Again, all just my opinion on a set up for hiking. Others may look at things differently.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next