Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Calling all DSLR owners 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Calling all DSLR owners
The 35mm 1.8 is my other go to lens. On a DX body, it's essentially a 50mm. It's a no-brainer for the cost. No matter what lenses you have, I'd recommend having at least one fast prime.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:32 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Granite Guy wrote:
That's what EBAY is for! :wink:

That's where I'd be getting everything. $2,429.85 for what I have listed.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:01 pm

A quick look and I get 1750 or so for the 7200 body, 16 - 85, 55 - 350 and 35 1.8. $700 less, which you could then spend on either the Nikon 10 - 24 or get the Tamron 10 - 24 and a macro for the money.

Maybe it comes down to how much you are looking for an all in one lens for most of the work VS if you don't mind switching them for different shots every so often.

And curse you, now I'm surfing around for the best deal on a new 70D! :evil:

Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:25 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Yeah, I agree about the crop format. Unless you're a professional it's not really worth the extra cost.

I use a 24-70mm for my everyday lens, with the Canon crop it ends up being about 40-110mm. Unless you actually have experience with full frame or 35mm cameras from the old days these numbers don't particularly mean anything. Important thing being that 50mm is approximately what your eye sees. Anything lower is wide-frame, anything higher is telephoto (zoom). I'll also carry a 70-300mm for when I hike for zoom photos, but I have a fairly cheap one and don't use it very often. A single lens is more convenient of course.

In the end all of this will be in improvement in quality over a point and shoot. Choice depends on how much weight you're willing to carry. Oh, and I think I'm supposed to say Nikon sucks :wink:

Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:53 pm

And to add to Kris's point, 50mm is what your eye sees in 35mm or full frame. 35 is the new 50 with the cropped sensors.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
And to add to Kris's point, 50mm is what your eye sees in 35mm or full frame. 35 is the new 50 with the cropped sensors.

I just remember back in my SLR days with my Cannon AE-1 with a 50MM lens, having to back up into a corner to get a large group in frame, indoors.

So even though pricey, the 2 lens I picked seem to cover it all. Other than maybe a macro lens. And this one is cheap enough. comparatively speaking. 8)
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Produc ... F2.8G.html

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:24 pm

This is not a question about DSLR's but seems a good place to ask the question.

Neutral Density Filters? I fabricated some that would allow me to use filters on my SP565 Olympus PnS. I really wanted to be able to do the blurred water shots. I think I got a 2, 4, and either 6 or 8 filter. With What I made up for them, plus if I need to stack them all for high light, I got severe vignetting. A lot of cropping was needed in some cases, too much. But, the picture came out pretty good for the camera and set up.

When I got my Canon SX50, which is designed to accept an adapter ring for filters, I got it and adjustable neutral density filter. Nothing to completely blacked out basically. But I have a definite problem with it. If it's very bright lighting, or I want to slow down the shutter even more, I need to add more filtering. When I do so, it starts to distort the colors. It basically adds a pinkish hue. I've done a few hikes where I spent a lot of time taking the water shots, only to have them come out crappy. Which I assume is this adjustable filter, not the camera. Here's an example. Same shot, minutes apart. The only difference is I darkened the filter so I could slow it down more.
Now that I look at them, even the first one is lacking in vibrancy. They both look dull.

So I assuming these adjustable ones are crap. Or at least the one I have. I have even worse example of how pinkish the photo gets.

So, my long winded question is, What do you use. A set of different densities or an adjustable?

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:04 am

I think it's usually cheaper uncoated filters that while blocking out regular light don't block out the infrared, so that gets concentrated and shows up as magenta, and is why the pros often use very expensive glass filters with special coatings. Long exposures can just magnify any little natural color casts in general. Kind of hard to say but I have heard of that magenta hue being an issue on some cheaper filters in general.

I very rarely use my filters, split ND and polarizeing filter are really all I'd even want to use, and usually just stopping down the lens gets plenty of blurred water and more depth of fields (which is something you have to watch more with a DSLR) but I do have these for when I'm in the mood to monkey around...

http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/cokinP.htm

One filter ring stays on the lens and you just slide the filters in and out as needed. It rotates for the split ND's and stuff. All you need is a separate cheap filter ring for each lens and you can use all the filters on any one you want. They have about 150 filters to choose from basic ND to gimmicky stuff.

That's my long winded way of saying I use a bunch of different densities in combination.

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:53 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Do yourself a favor Joe and get Photoshop. You don't have to splurge for the high end version. You can get Elements 13 for about $70. Then get a good book on how to use it. You will be amazed at the flexibility it gives you (for instance, your pink hue would disappear with a single click of a button.)

Brian

Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:56 pm

For the hell of it I was looking at filters. I only got as far as Circular Polarizes. So, if going to spend $2,500 or more for a camera, do you spend as much (high end) for filters? This was on Best Buy I was looking. $199 for, 1, circular polarizer :?: :shock: You can buy a decent PnS for that. :roll:

Wed May 06, 2015 7:24 am

If you were to go with that filter system I linked before you can get the CP for way less than that, and, you can use it on many different lenses. It is what I have, although again, I never ever use it. But you can use it in combination with the ND and split ND filters if filters are your idea of a good time.

http://www.adorama.com/CKP164.html?cvosrc=ppc.google._cat:filters&gclid=CN-gqqOcrcUCFdcegQodtWAATA

Wed May 06, 2015 8:31 am

Granite Guy wrote:
If you were to go with that filter system I linked before you can get the CP for way less than that, and, you can use it on many different lenses. It is what I have, although again, I never ever use it. But you can use it in combination with the ND and split ND filters if filters are your idea of a good time.

http://www.adorama.com/CKP164.html?cvosrc=ppc.google._cat:filters&gclid=CN-gqqOcrcUCFdcegQodtWAATA

Brian (New Hampshire) mentioned that type of filter system to me quite a while back. But I would much rather a filter that screws on. Especially a CP which is something I'd probably leave on for the duration of any given outing.

Wed May 06, 2015 8:44 am

I like those because they can be used on different sized lenses. But to each their own. If you want to spend 400 dollars on two CPs that's up to you. I also found leaving expensive filters on the camera all the time was a good way to scratch up (and then need to replace) said filters.

Wed May 06, 2015 11:55 am

So. Calling all Nikon users! After owning Canon SLR's and DSLR's for the past 20 years I finally needed to use their repair program. Splashed some Powerade on my 60D a couple weeks ago, sent it out for repair estimate and was told it's going to cost over $1200 dollars to fix. My real issue with that is that the body is 3 years old, and a brand new one right off the Canon website only costs $900. A refurbished one $575! Needless to say I told them to hold off on the repair for now while I weigh my options. :roll:

I know some users on here have Nikons. Anyone ever need a repair done there and have any experience with them? I have liked my Canon's a lot and before I have a compete hissy fit and sell all my lenses, second body, accessories etc and spend thousands switching over to Nikon I thought I should ask around and see what other users think or have had for experiences. All the DSLR's will do the same things and learning how to make a new product do what I can with my Canon's intuitively in a split second will suck, but just because I've made the mistake of sticking with Canon for 20 years doesn't mean I have to make it for another 40 too. Body you like? More importantly a couple good recommendations for good lenses while I look things over would be awesome too.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm not sure I follow your logic for wanting to switch... even though you have all Canon gear including lenses and a second body AND you can replace this body for $575, you want to go through the hassle of selling all your gear for a big loss, acquiring new gear and then learning how to use all that new gear? Just because Canon's repair department gave you a high quote? Unfortunately these cameras are expensive machines and just like with your car the parts and labor to fix them can often be more than the machine itself is worth. You'll find the same thing on Nikon's end (or Olympus or Fuji, etc).

If it were me, I'd just cut my losses and buy a refurbed body. Maybe even talk to their customer service to see if they'll do a trade in for the damaged body (since they might be able to resell it if they fix it).

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next