Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Calling all DSLR owners 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Calling all DSLR owners
krpayer wrote:
I'm not sure I follow your logic for wanting to switch... even though you have all Canon gear including lenses and a second body AND you can replace this body for $575, you want to go through the hassle of selling all your gear for a big loss, acquiring new gear and then learning how to use all that new gear? Just because Canon's repair department gave you a high quote? Unfortunately these cameras are expensive machines and just like with your car the parts and labor to fix them can often be more than the machine itself is worth. You'll find the same thing on Nikon's end (or Olympus or Fuji, etc).

If it were me, I'd just cut my losses and buy a refurbed body. Maybe even talk to their customer service to see if they'll do a trade in for the damaged body (since they might be able to resell it if they fix it).

Yeah. Not real good logic, other than if something breaks or gets wet down the line I know it's likely a goner with Canon and maybe Nikon has more sense and would at least say it's totaled like they would with a car if the repair is more than its worth. I feel like they didn't even look at it, just heard it was spilled on and said they'll replace every part they can think of and the list of pieces they read me should have nothing to do with it and weren't even the near the control dial/part that got splashed, but really, what do I know.

And yeah, I talked to them. They'll take 30 bucks off because of their customer loyalty program. Wahoo! :roll: Even so, when I take a breath the refurb is probably the route I'll go. Switching brands just crossed my mind as I have probably a dozen kit lenses and a couple good lenses I don't use and a second spare body for situations like this that could pay for the switch and free up some closet space. Just weighing all options I guess.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:45 am
Sovereign Woodsman

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... using.html

:wink:

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:50 am

thegibba wrote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925820-REG/nimar_ni60d_3d_transparent_underwater_housing.html

Very funny. Then I won't ruin my camera and we can hike rain or shine.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:20 am

Granite Guy wrote:
Splashed some Powerade on my 60D a couple weeks ago, sent it .

Thankfully it was only a $300 PnS. But I did the same thing. Or it was more like my hydration tube was dripping right on the camera. :roll:

Granite Guy wrote:

I know some users on here have Nikons. Anyone ever need a repair done there and have any experience with them?

Give me time. 8)

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:33 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
thegibba wrote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925820-REG/nimar_ni60d_3d_transparent_underwater_housing.html

Very funny. Then I won't ruin my camera and we can hike rain or shine.

And it's the same price as your repair quote! :mrgreen:

I wouldn't switch in your shoes. You've got all the glass, etc, just get a new/refurb body and get back to shooting, no learning curve! And really, is there any significant difference between Cannon and Nikon on the DSLR front? I've never heard of one, not that I've looked for it. I see a pretty even mix of both when I'm out and about, maybe a slight edge toward Nikon, but only just. I doubt customer service will be markedly different, and often those cases boil down to who do you get on any given day anyway. Now, if I ever go down the DSLR route, it will likely be Nikon, as both my mother and sister have D5xxx series cameras and matching glass I can stea-I mean, borrow ;)

signed,
Panasonic P&S carrier ;)

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:37 am
Sovereign Woodsman

You could also take it to a 3rd party for repair. I know there aren't as many camera shops as there used to be, but they still exist and it might be good for a second opinion. I don't have any suggestions where to start looking though (maybe B&H or Adorama has a repair department?).

I actually had a good experience with Canon's repair service for my lens. Of course I think that was just normal wear and tear damage and the final cost was fairly cheap but I was prepared to fork over $500 if I needed to. Next time don't give it a Powerade bath :wink:

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Haha! Yes the Powerade bath was indeed the problem. Call me crazy, but I too would have gladly forked over some money for a repair, just not more than the cost of a new one. :?

Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:24 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
Haha! Yes the Powerade bath was indeed the problem. Call me crazy, but I too would have gladly forked over some money for a repair, just not more than the cost of a new one. :?

I'll sell you mine. I'm already sick of lugging this thing around. :wink:

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:55 pm

JustJoe wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

Let me know when you're really sick of it and ready to unload it for pennies on the dollar! :wink:

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:20 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

JustJoe wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

I seem to say this often....No one ever listens to Brian. :lol: There was a reason why I carried mine around for only a couple of years before saying "this was fun, but 4 or 5 pounds less weight in my pack is even more fun." :twisted: And of course once you go dslr all P&S that come afterward are just sub standard. :wink:

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8