Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 kayak advice 
Sovereign Woodsman

Awesome Bob u guys r going to have sooo much fun.... Don't u love new toys! I think you'll find this to be as addictive as hiking....... Enjoy!!!

Mon May 20, 2013 8:41 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

They certainly are fun. I've only used them half a dozen times but would love to get some down the road. Probably be a great thing to do when I get a bit older and the knees start to go. Hopefully they don't, but you never know. Is it kind of a given that as hikers get older the knees/joints start acting up from all the wear and tear? I definitely notice at 36 my joints don't bounce back like they used to, and assume at 56 or 76 it will just get worse. For now gotta make hay while the sun is shining.

Mon May 20, 2013 8:51 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Hiking actually strengthened my knees. I didn't even start hiking regularly until I was 43, and before getting into hiking, I had knee pain just walking up and down the stairs. My first 6 months of hiking were painful, and I almost quit due to constant knee pain between hikes. But I found that the more I got used to hiking, the less pain I felt, and eventually I had no more knee pain. I just turned 50 last month and I haven't had knee pain on a hike for years. Your mileage may vary. :wink:

Mon May 20, 2013 9:05 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Granite Guy wrote:
I definitely notice at 36 my joints don't bounce back like they used to, and assume at 56 or 76 it will just get worse. For now gotta make hay while the sun is shining.

:lol: Love it. At 37, I have two (mostly) healed ruptured discs, one blown knee, an arthritic knee and a formerly sprained wrist from years ago that hurts like hell when it's raining. I definitely don't bounce anymore. I was climbing all day yesterday and today I feel the 76 of which you wrote.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-Unknown

Mon May 20, 2013 9:08 am

Cracky wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
I definitely notice at 36 my joints don't bounce back like they used to, and assume at 56 or 76 it will just get worse. For now gotta make hay while the sun is shining.

:lol: Love it. At 37, I have two (mostly) healed ruptured discs, one blown knee, an arthritic knee and a formerly sprained wrist from years ago that hurts like hell when it's raining. I definitely don't bounce anymore. I was climbing all day yesterday and today I feel the 76 of which you wrote.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-Unknown

I hear this a lot from guys in their 30s. Everyone's different. I'm not bragging but I think I was blessed with good genes; I don't feel any different than I did in my 30s, I actually feel stronger. Sure, I don't get out hiking as often lately but that's not due to health reasons. If I started hiking regularly like I was 4 years ago I think I could do just as much as I did then. And look at JustJoe - 10 years older than me, and he's the strongest hiker I know.

Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Good point. I too see all ranges of physical conditions in people's 30s. And, I think your 40s are great to get into shape for the first time.

I feel as though I'm in good shape, just beat up. I wrecked my back in a SCUBA accident back in '01. I was diving in Costa Rica, tagging sharks in grad school. I got bent really bad and had a nitrogen bubble lodged in my back. A year later, I sneezed and ruptured two discs. It was awful. I was in bed for 6 months.

I blew out my knee downhill racing mountain bikes. I flipped over my handlebars racing Waterville's Widow Maker and my knee bent nearly 45 degrees the wrong direction. Yuck. I didn't win that race. ;)

The rest of my body is just junk from farming. Some days I feel like a teen, some days I feel ancient. Either way, it's all good.

Mon May 20, 2013 9:49 am

So here's my next issue - getting roof racks so we can transport the kayaks we bought last weekend. I have a 2006 Scion Tc which I think is too small for 12-foot kayaks. My wife has a 2002 Cadillac DeVille (we're not old rich snobs, we just got a low-mileage car in great shape really cheap!). We got it home using a foam block and strap kit that we bought at Contoock River Canoe, and the guys that work there took about 45 minutes strapping it on. You can just imagine the looks we got with two kayaks on an old Caddy. Anyway, it worked and we got them home safely, but I really would like to have something more convenient. Yet for all of the rack dealers I've researched online, all of their fit guides say that there is no rack system that will fit our car. I find this hard to believe...it's a nice, flat, wide roof. Maybe too wide is the problem?

Anyway, has anyone had any experience where the online fit guide for a rack manufacturer (Thule, Yakima, etc.) says they don't have a fit, yet you still managed to find a roof rack for your vehicle?

Wed May 22, 2013 1:04 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Probably expensive Bob but I've seen smaller cars pulling a kayak trailer.

Wed May 22, 2013 4:45 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

In most cases, racks are a ripoff, especially Thule and Yakima. A friend of mine has a similar problem. Here's his solution:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10086714?wmls ... la&veh=sem

He loads one on his car and straps it down. Then, he puts more blocks on top of the first kayak and puts the second boat on top of the first. He lashes them both down with webbing going around the boats, through his open doors and inside the car. It's not nearly as stupid looking as it sounds and it works really well. Seriously. It works well to put a towel on your car first to prevent scratching. It used to take him a while, but now he's got it down to under 10 minutes. He does this with the style boats you have. It wouldn't work for ocean boats.

I use a pink quilt. :)

Wed May 22, 2013 7:29 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

JustJoe wrote:
Probably expensive Bob but I've seen smaller cars pulling a kayak trailer.

Yes, they are pricey. But, wicked awesome if you have the cash.

Wed May 22, 2013 7:30 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Try putting 4 bicycles on your roof using towels, foam, and straps :shock:

Tim

Thu May 23, 2013 6:01 am

Well, I did end up finding a solution that works on my car (Yakima). More precisely, Brian ("New Hampshire") found it for me, because evidently I don't know how to use Google. :roll:

Anyway, my wife's car is big enough that we can strap both kayaks to the roof with foam blocks and straps...that's what we did to get them home...I just think it's going to be a pain to do this whenever we want to take them somewhere.

So I'm eventually going to buy a Yakima system, which will fit on my Scion. Wasn't crazy about putting racks on the Cadillac in the first place.

Thu May 23, 2013 7:31 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Good to hear Yakima has a solution if you need it. I bet you'll get pretty proficient with the blocks, though. It's considerably easier if you put a blanket on the car to slide the boats up on. After they're up, remove the blanket ad place the blocks under the boat. The blanket reduced friction and prevents scratching.

With the racks, remember, you have to life the boats over your head to get them up on the cradles. The racks are nice, for sure, but sort of a pain to load.

Either way, find what works best for you. You're going to have an awesome summer!

Thu May 23, 2013 7:38 am

Thanks, I will! And who knows, maybe I'll try loading it on the Caddy once more and see how much trouble it actually is. If I do get racks on my car, it shouldn't be too much trouble since the roof on mine isn't that high.

Joe - I thought about a trailer but since I live in an apartment, I don't think that would work because I don't think they want a trailer sitting around on their property.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:20 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Hello everyone, i am a new enthusiast of kayak. I though you guys might help me if you don't mind. SO I found these links, http://www.smart-start-kayaking.com/ and http://www.askwiki.net/How-to-Kayak and http://www.wikihow.com/Kayak
Which one is better for a beginner to dig info out? Or maybe you'll recommend something else? Really appreciate your help guys. Cheers!

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3