Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Snow Gear 
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Snow Gear
Isn't it nice having the perfect gear and clothing in which to shovel all this snow? Just think how much you could sell a pair of old gaiters to your neighbors for. :D

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:29 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

It's true, when I go out later I plan to use my winter hiking boots. There have been times when I've worn my Mountain Research hiking pants if it's really cold and windy out, or my hiking jacket, etc. Since I started hiking, I've definitely learned how to dress warmly in the winter!

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:34 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Heh, heh. Where I live, everyone looks at you funny if you don't have the equipment .... and nobody moving out here goes more than one winter without ;)

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:35 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Yeah, I just came in. I essentially wore everything I'm going to wear tomorrow above the treeline. It was sort of fun, too!

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:36 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Yeah, my son, who generally makes fun of me and my gear, is wearing a lot of my stuff now as he is digging the cars out. Funny how position determines perspective....the gear doesn't seem so comical to him now. :lol:

Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:43 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Just got back in, and yeah, I was wearing most of my winter gear. Not the base layers, but everything else including face mask and goggles (for all that snow that was flying back in my face). Much nicer to have all that stuff.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:21 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Kathy- I wish there were like buttons here. :D

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I actually snowshoed my driveway earlier this morning. That way, I made it across the deep sections so I could start in such a way that the wind was against my back rather than my face. You could say the trails are broken out in Lawrence today! It's also nice dressing in layers the way you do when you hike in the cold. Prema could not believe (after at least an hour or so shoveling) the thermometer read 18F. Even with the wind it did not seem that cold.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:52 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Wow do I wish my parents knew about this stuff when I was a kid. The best I can do is pass it along to my own!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6u0eWo ... sp=sharing

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:58 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Put the gear to good use today also. Lot's of cleanup, then built a snow castle and sledding hills out of the snowbanks. I agree it didn't seem that cold out, probably due to the base layers I had on. Love the snow and it was lots of fun. I actually wish it happened more often. Now for a fire, advil and some wine, my back is killing me :(

Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I shoveled/snowblowed in jean, pack boots (ice fishing) and jeans. I want my hiking stuff to be dry for tomorrow :) Plus I already packed it.

Tim

Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:06 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Same here! Gaiters for playing in deep snow, goggles for the snowblower...gear is always good :D

I also used the new snow to try out some newer boots (Columbia's with that omni heat reflective stuff that are billed to be lightweight snowshoe boots). 2 hours of clean up with shovel and snowblower , and then some "breaking trail" around the house in my snowshoes so my son could follow me around in his shoes (He's 4 with the Tubbs snowflake plastic shoes and I was surprised to see he like it!). My feet did get a little cold after a few hours of cleanup, but the activity level was low compared to hiking. We shall see, I'm not totally sold on these things. I was hoping they would be similar to the Garmont and Solomen lightweight winter boots I see most with. My current boots are super heavy and a little uncomfortable on descent, but my feet have never been cold. LOL

Last edited by HOSSinNH on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:16 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

My two boys loved those plastic Tubbs snowshoes! They outgrew them for this year and I had to move them up to the real deal. Man I already miss those days. I learned the hard way to skip the poles when they're young. It's too much for them to deal with.

Pretty obvious in retrospect... :?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:21 am
Master Mountaineer

HOSSinNH wrote:
We shall see, I'm not totally sold on these things. I was hoping they would be similar to the Garmont and Solomen lightweight winter boots I see most with. My current boots are super heavy and a little uncomfortable on descent, but my feet have never been cold. LOL

I picked up a pair of Keen Revel hiking boots this year. Those things are awesome. They feel and handle alot like a 3 season boot, but keep your feet warm as long as you're moving. By far, its the best stability I've ever had in a boot - they're so friggin' comfy. I've put them to good abuse, and so far, so good.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:11 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

BobC wrote:
It's true, when I go out later I plan to use my winter hiking boots. There have been times when I've worn my Mountain Research hiking pants if it's really cold and windy out, or my hiking jacket, etc. Since I started hiking, I've definitely learned how to rose wholesale.com xs club dresses warmly in the winter!
It's amazingly beautiful, there are lots of waterfalls and swimming holes.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next