Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pine Marten 
Sovereign Woodsman

Pine Marten
Thought this was cool/adorable so I wanted to share. Coming down from Field near the Avalon junction we saw this cutie patootie climb a tree and then watch us for a while. Seems to be a pine marten, which is on the threatened species list in NH. So, double neat.

Wish I had a better camera/photo, but cute nonetheless.

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:49 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

TW 63/72
T 22/25

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:09 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Very cool. Definitely looks like a pine marten... I saw one amongst the boulder fields of the ramparts when I stayed Carter Notch Hut. Always neat to capture a photo of a rare animal like that!

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:26 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

That guy is cool. Nice pictures of him. I didn't actually know what they looked like, thought they were more weasle like. Now I'm going to have to go back and look at some pictures I took a couple months ago of what I thought was a weird looking fox. Maybe it was one of these guys. Hmmm.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:35 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

This is a much better close up photo of one -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beyondktaadn/6332740652/

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:24 am

I've been pretty lucky with the moose siting on trail and in the woods bushwhacking, almost to the point of getting routine last summer. It's still cool but I'd like to see other wildlife as well and that little guy really special.

Sure would love the opportunity for a photo shoot with one of them.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:26 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I would love to see more moose on the trail. We've only had one really good sighting and one or two through the woods running away. Some pretty good experiences with them at Osgood tentsite, though. Would love to see more bunnies (I think that is the scientific term?), owls, and perhaps someday a bear or two. And anything from the weasel family is always welcome!

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:27 am

KellyK wrote:
I would love to see more moose on the trail. We've only had one really good sighting and one or two through the woods running away. Some pretty good experiences with them at Osgood tentsite, though. Would love to see more bunnies (I think that is the scientific term?), owls, and perhaps someday a bear or two. And anything from the weasel family is always welcome!

I've been pretty lucky with moose and bears but I too would love to see one of these guys. Looked at my pics and I'm pretty sure its not one of these.

If you want bunnies just book a lean-to at Neswadnehunk (sp?) In Baxter. The things are everywhere. Weasel family is a nice looking one, fisher cats however are not welcome around me! Never heard a more blood curdling shriek than from one of those guys. Straight out of a horror movie. You'd swear some lady is being torn limb from limb.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

We actually have seen a fisher on the trail - it was walking up the trail with we believe something in its mouth. Ran off the trail as soon as it saw us so no time for a photo. We honestly had no idea what it was at the time and were thoroughly confused. Doing research when we got home, we learned that fishers are more active during the day in spring when it's their mating season. Thankfully I have never heard one shriek but I hear it's pretty blood-curdling.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
If you want bunnies just book a lean-to at Neswadnehunk (sp?) In Baxter. The things are everywhere.

Ha! Exactly what I was going to say! They were all around our lean-to this summer.

Kelly, really cool to see a marten. I recall seeing a TR a while back where someone dropped their pack at the Tom Spur and came back to find one of those guys chewing into the pack to get at the food. Probably the same guy, lol!

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:11 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I’ve seen a Pine Martin once, going up Flume I believe, I wasn’t able to get a picture but was still pretty cool, I thought it was a baby fisher until I saw a picture and description of Pine Marten later and realized that was what I saw. I saw a white weasel cross the trail I was on in late spring once, which was pretty neat too.
Saw a bunny this spring, it let me take a few pictures of it before we both moved on.. couldn’t figure out how to upload the pic...

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:04 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Very cool sighting and pics.

I've never seen something like that, nor have I seen a moose on a trail. I think I've seen a rabbit once? I saw a fox once, that was cool, a deer that looked right at me for about 20 seconds, a porcupine that I spooked up a tree, a VERY brief glimpse of what I believe to have been a bobcat that was working hard and effectively at getting far away from me, and 2 bear. But nothing weasel and no moose! And I wouldn't know a fisher if I saw one. I'm a little fascinated by them as I'm not from around here and had never heard of them before coming. I HAVE seen fisher-people, but I suppose that's less exotic.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:27 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Awesomel! I saw a fisher on Waumbeck this weekend and thought that was pretty cool, but a marten is a much rarer sighting!

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:24 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

http://www.nhpr.org/post/frigid-peak-bi ... s-comeback

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:45 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Fun pics. So cute! I saw one of these near my folks home in Maine once. Love it.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next