Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 I93 road winter road treatment 
Sovereign Woodsman

I93 road winter road treatment
I tried today to head up north to bang out the hancocks and test out some new gear. However with maybee 5 inches of snow on the ground 93 looked like my sidestreet after a blizzard. Was a white knuckle drive at a blistering 40 mph as soon as I crossed the borderinto NH. the road was simply not treated and I ddidn't see one piece of equipment out. Getting worried about how much worse it would get andestimating a 5 hour drive. I turned around at manchester. Is this customary when a storm comes through? Now I dont exect to be blazing down the road at 80mph I n conditions like that. It just struck me as odd.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I think it was due to the expected freezing rain that the roads were poor. My commute was very bad, but if they were clear there is a risk of having the hwy be a skating rink.driving home tonight was better but still slow due to freezing rain.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Having commuted from NH to MA on and off over the years, it has usually been the case that NH takes better care of their roads than does MA.

FE Everett Turnpike was in fine shape both ways today.

Where did you see 5" of snow? On the west side of the river, we might have gotten an inch.

Tim

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Honestly I was estimating the amount of snow. It covered most of the blades of grass on the median. I also expected the opposite. No treatment in MA and plowed awesomeness on NH :D . But it really wasnt that severe. On the bright side I found pawtuckaway park! Kept it as a mental note went home and slept. :P. Ill be back maybee sometime soon for pawtuckaway, closer than I thought.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:55 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I usually find both 93 and 16 very well plowed. Kanc (112) can be sketchy at times though. They usually do a very good job on the two main access roads to keep the skiers and $$ coming into the state.

Pawtuckaway's a good find. I plan on doing a bit of snowshoeing there myself this winter, assuming we actually get snow this year.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:01 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Funny, I've found that on route 3 (northern section) the roads are better in MA... at least during the storm. I think it's just that stretch in Nashua since I've never had problems further north on the Everett Tpk. But every time I have to commute during a snow storm, the worst of it is always right near the border in Nashua. Of course I rarely drive 93 south of Hookset, so each road may be different.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:34 am
Sovereign Woodsman

[quote="Granite Guy"

Pawtuckaway's a good find. I plan on doing a bit of snowshoeing there myself this winter, assuming we actually get snow this year.[/quote]

I knew youd have something to say about that place. Its your stomping ground.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:12 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

thegibba wrote:
[quote="Granite Guy"

Pawtuckaway's a good find. I plan on doing a bit of snowshoeing there myself this winter, assuming we actually get snow this year.

I knew youd have something to say about that place. Its your stomping ground.[/quote]

Yes it is :D. I'm always jealous of the people who live near the Whites but its definitely a whole lot better than nothing and I'm happy to have it. I need to get back there soon. Been avoiding it during rifle season but that's been over for a week now.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]