Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Rifle Season 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Rifle Season
Anyone worry about it or change their hiking habits or clothes?

I don't worry much about bow or muzzle loader season, figuring people with just one relatively close range shot are pretty careful what they shoot at, but now full blown rifle season starts Wednesday. That seems to be the time of year something goes wrong. Either a fellow hunter, someones pet or something gets shot that shouldn't. I know most are very responsible and I'm not anti hunting or gun by any stretch. I wanted to go break in some new boots Wednesday afternoon it does cross my mind if I should go somewhere hunting isn't allowed or just get out the blaze orange. Anyone else even give this a second though or have any thoughts at all on the matter? Just wondering about it before I go out for a walk on this beautiful night.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:14 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I have a somewhat casual approach to the whole hunting thing. Around Massachusetts, I typically hike in properties that allow bow hunting. In these properties, my dog, who is off leash, wears a blaze orange vest. I typically wear nothing special. But, I am always with others and we are always actively talking.
In Maine or NH I am certainly less casual. Again with the dog in blaze orange. For me, I have a bright orange pack. We have an endless supply of blaze orange hats ($1 at Mardens) and we each have a blaze orange sweatshirt. What we do not have is blaze orange technical clothing, so if a choice had to be made, it would likely be for comfort over the orange.
Do not wear colors that appear frequently in nature, try to stand out, it is not too hard in the fall.
Most importantly, DO NOT WEAR WHITE!!

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:17 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Buck Fever
A MA state trooper shot his neighbor with a muzzle loader in Norton, MA last year (see link). So even someone with a disciplined gun temperament can get buck fever & take a shot at a shadow. I turned back from a Potash Mtn hike last Moose season. I had a orange hat and met up with a game warden who was looking for a couple hunters. He didn't elaborate on his business but knowing there were hunters in the area was enough to turn me around. Land of many uses includes hunters. I'm incline to let them have full use of the woods during the short hunting season.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/loca ... -accident/

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:46 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Better to be safe than sorry. My farrier was telling me that the seacoast area has an overabundance of deer that they are trying to get the numbers down and stating her son got one down there. I walked right past 2 hunters with my 2 dogs several yrs ago who I almost didn't catch due them wearing camo! One was sitting on the trail (looked like he was sleeping) and the other one was on the other side of the trail leaning on a tree. Scared the crap out of me (this was behind my house). I wouldn't have noticed them if my dog hadn't sniffed at them. I think I ruined there day. Since then I just stay out of the woods. You should wear something orange just to be on the safe side. There tends to be a lot out on the 1st day. I've seen quite a few in my travels over the past few weekends up in jeFferson, down in hillsboro and here in my back yard.

Enjoy!

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:59 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I have a cheap orange blazed vest, hat and gloves that I can throw on this time of year. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Last year I was hiking Mt. Tom and heard gunshots which startled me a bit (being so close to a state park)... I dropped my pack and put on my blazed stuff very quickly.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:51 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Saw a couple trucks parked at a gate to one of the forest roads on the Gale River Loop this weekend. Clearly hunter type vehicles (judging by the stickers and I just got that vibe looking at them, lol).

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:22 am
Sovereign Woodsman

No white, make noise , wear blaze orange....
Bear Brook is archery only from Podunk Rd east.

Blaze orange vest. If I have a pack, the vest goes over the pack.
Blaze orange hat.

Riding my bike, I put a cowbell on the bike. Sounds like the ice cream truck coming : )

Hiking in the whites I don't worry once I'm at some elevation or deep enough in the woods.... I don't expect to find a hunter too deep or high, who would want to drag a deer out from, say, Stairs Col ?
But lower down, e,g. the flats below Stanton I've seen hunters.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I typically put the bright orange vest on Letta. Never think to do the same for myself though. I also tend to talk to her more.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:26 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I'm taking a day off Friday to go hiking, and I was told by my wife that I'm not going unless I get some orange items to wear. So, yeah, I'm changing my habits. :wink:

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:46 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I don't possess a blaze orange hat, but I'm hoping that my sparkly rainbow hat with pompom suffices...

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:48 am
Sovereign Woodsman

There were quite a few hunters last weekend along Gale River Loop Rd too. I saw one guy patroling the road with a muzzle loader on his shoulder. Marlie has a blaze orange collar that she wears this time of year, I tend to talk to myself more when walking in the lower elevations. Last hike while walking along the snowmobile trail I was talking quite loudly to Marlie and whistling along the way. I saw one man on the Garfield Tr that was wearing, for lack of better term, jingle bells.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:17 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I think if I had a dog, I'd put some bells on the collar ....

This year seems like I've seen more than the usual number of accident stories; maybe I'll hang a bell off my pack too ...

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]