Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hurricane Sandy 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Hurricane Sandy
I know that plenty of folks here are from southern New England .. just want to say I hope you fare well with Hurricane Sandy. Good luck.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:31 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Here's hoping Sandy doesn't undo the fixes from Irene in NH, VT, and ME!

Stay safe all.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:19 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Agree on the well wishes to all. Made for quite a sunrise this morning though! Haven't seen the sky on fire like that in a while. Red sky at dawn sailors take warn, is that how that goes?

Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:19 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Hurricane Sandy
estorm wrote:
I know that plenty of folks here are from southern New England .. just want to say I hope you fare well with Hurricane Sandy. Good luck.

The news I read this morning said, ".....forecasts show Western Massachusetts should be spared the brunt of the storm..." Hopefully, that's true. After the events of 2011 (a tornado, a microburst, Hurricane Irene and the Oct. 2011 snowstorm), we (in Western Mass) don't need it.

Stay safe, all.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:55 am

I hear ya woods dweller. My car got flattened with the Halloween storm last year. I am hoping for no repeats this year.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:12 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

And the December 08 ice storm which completely destroyed the canopy in the N Berkshires at 1600-2200' You still can barely walk through those woods even 4 years on.

The ?1998? Derecho left a pretty big, long lasting mess too!

woods dweller wrote:
estorm wrote:

The news I read this morning said, ".....forecasts show Western Massachusetts should be spared the brunt of the storm..." Hopefully, that's true. After the events of 2011 (a tornado, a microburst, Hurricane Irene and the Oct. 2011 snowstorm), we (in Western Mass) don't need it.

Stay safe, all.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:21 am
Sovereign Woodsman

marchowes wrote:
And the December 08 ice storm which completely destroyed the canopy in the N Berkshires at 1600-2200' You still can barely walk through those woods even 4 years on

Indeed, Marc. A friend and I were up on Saddleball Ridge (near Mount Greylock) yesterday (Sunday) and the damage from that ice storm is still very evident.

Let's hope that Western Mass. dodges the bullet this time around, SilentCal. :roll:

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:36 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Living in a Newmarket apartment just steps away from the Lamprey river, and wondering if it will rain bad enough that the bottom floor of my apartment building get flooded. We have four buildings in this complex, and the one I'm in (and the section I'm in) is the lowest point in the complex. Apparently it was flooded out before, according to another tenant I spoke to. So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best, because if it gets flooded I think they will force us to temporarily evacuate, even though I'm on the third floor.

As for work, I was surprised that they closed my building in Danvers MA. Unfortunately I have a laptop so I'm expected to work from home anyway. :wink:

Hope everyone stays safe.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:38 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

BobC wrote:
As for work, I was surprised that they closed my building in Danvers MA. Unfortunately I have a laptop so I'm expected to work from home anyway. :wink:

I work downtown Boston and we got sent home a 10:30. I'm on a lap top as well. Getting kind of windy in Lynn I want to check out the beach later. Stay Safe!

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:09 pm

lal12 wrote:
BobC wrote:

I work downtown Boston and we got sent home a 10:30. I'm on a lap top as well. Getting kind of windy in Lynn I want to check out the beach later. Stay Safe!

I could be mistaken but I thought I heard Lynn has a mandatory evacuation. Maybe just along the coast?

Getting a tad windy here in Ipswich.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Pretty good gusts going on now. Cold too....usually we get that tropical air when these systems pass through.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:34 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Gov lynch said I could go home, so we closed shop at 2pm. I am glad because just in the past 10 min (its 5pm) it has become extremely windy and a wind driven rain. I was a bit anxious about the possibility of driving home in the dark in bad weather with possible lines or trees down! I think its going to be a long night! Here I was thinking that it was going to be a dud of a storm!

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I live in lynn also. The ocean put on a pretty decent show earlier. Other than that, some downed limbs and my power went off for an hour. Pretty fun day.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

JustJoe wrote:
lal12 wrote:
BobC wrote:

I could be mistaken but I thought I heard Lynn has a mandatory evacuation. Maybe just along the coast?

Getting a tad windy here in Ipswich.

It was voluntary for the people who lived along Lynn Shore Drive I think. I took a ride down to 40 steps in Nahant at about 2:30. The waves and the wind were pretty amazing

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:08 am

Took a short ride along the coast this morning to look around and take some pictures. Waves were very impressive but not much damage anywhere thankfully. Power went out about 2 yesterday at home and not back yet. :( I'm amazed there still so many leaves on the trees.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next