Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Raisins equal to energy chews 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Raisins equal to energy chews
Just read an article comparing the effectiveness of raisins versus energy chews on runners. The verdict was they both improved performance equally when compared to a placebo! Proof that nature's candy is just as effective as energy candy. Didn't say which chews were used, but I would assume it would be comparable to BLOKS.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:54 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Were they compared to each other or just the placebo?

If it was just the placebo how can one say raisins are just as effective.

Plus raisins cause cancer. I don't know if this is true, but I know I don't like them. I'd rather put placebos in my GORP or GOPP.

:wink:

Peace.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:26 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Ten years ago I was running not "seriously" by "serious runner" standards, but seriously enough that I decided to do a marathon. I was in grad school at the time and didn't have a lot of money, and somehow was never all that sold on expensive energy stuff in the first place. So rather than the fancy gels etc. that so many people used, I started training with. . . marshmallows. They were awesome! Except that I was training for a Fall race, and living in Louisville KY. So training in KY summers, marshmallows melted and were completely unusable. So I switched to. . . candy corn! It was great, lots of sugar, no melt, cheap and delicious. Now who knows if using the pro stuff would have been better, and in fairness I DID miss my goal time by a ridiculous 147 seconds, so maybe it would have been the difference. But I doubt it!

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Raisins are great if you mix them with peanuts and chocolate covered espresso beans :)

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I have a glaring lack of details - I will try to get more info from Pete when I talk to him next - but we were listening to a podcast about energy and they found that if people exercising had anything sweet put on their tongue that they exercised more/longer than someone who hadn't. But it didn't matter what it was, as long as the body was tricked into thinking it was getting sugar. I'm going to guess it was a RadioLab podcast but I'll try to get some more information - it was a really interesting show!

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:40 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

KellyK wrote:
...if people exercising had anything sweet put on their tongue that they exercised more/longer...

Coming soon to a parlor near you - sugar drip tongue studs!

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:58 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Jaytrek57 wrote:
Were they compared to each other or just the placebo?

If it was just the placebo how can one say raisins are just as effective.

Plus raisins cause cancer. I don't know if this is true, but I know I don't like them. I'd rather put placebos in my GORP or GOPP.

:wink:

Peace.

They were compared to each other and the placebo. Basically when the runners consumed raisins or energy chews, their run times were faster by the same percentage as compared to when they ran without.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:11 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

KellyK wrote:
I have a glaring lack of details - I will try to get more info from Pete when I talk to him next - but we were listening to a podcast about energy and they found that if people exercising had anything sweet put on their tongue that they exercised more/longer than someone who hadn't. But it didn't matter what it was, as long as the body was tricked into thinking it was getting sugar. I'm going to guess it was a RadioLab podcast but I'll try to get some more information - it was a really interesting show!

You're right! I've read the same, and it's exactly that; the brain "thinks" it's getting energy, so it releases an optimum amount of hormones to tap into the body's energy stores instead of slowing down metabolism/fat burning in case the brain thinks it needs to conserve energy.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:15 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Found it! I'm glad it was in the episode that I was thinking of because it's a VERY interesting podcast -

http://www.radiolab.org/2010/apr/05/

I highly recommend a listen. Some science and some long distance bike racing where people hallucinate and have to duct tape their helmets to the back of their shoulders so they can keep their heads up. A little for everyone :)

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:37 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Screw that eating em' sounds much better! I couldn't imagine trying not to swallow something sweet on my tongue!

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]