Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 What Kind Of Snake Is This?? 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

What Kind Of Snake Is This??
As you might have guessed from the title of the post I'm just wondering if anyone knows what type of snake this is? It was about 3 feet long and pretty thick and stayed in the water the whole time. It was near the boat ramp at Fundy Cove in Pawtuckaway State Park yesterday. The kids were throwing rocks in and then I spotted this a few feet away. End of rock throwing needless to say. Any ideas?

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:53 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Northern water snake

Tim

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:57 am

Thanks Tim. I didn't even know their website had that stuff. Very cool. I thought maybe a checkered garter snake when poking around but apparently not. Watersnake seems like kind of a simple uncreative name for whoever came up with it but I guess it's fitting.

A little more research and "...while non-venemous they vigorously defend themselves by repeatedly biting and release a musk if threatened or picked up..." Awesome.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:46 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

My kids and I have participated in the snake and amphibians reporting program for several years. We have the usual snakes (garter, milk, red bellied), and turtles (snapping, painted), but we also have a Blanding's turtle nesting population near our house -- this species is "of special concern" to the state biologists. I have seen a few northern water snakes over the years while fishing. I guess when you have only one snake that likes the water, you can get away with a simple name ;)

You can probably report it with pictures if you like - they always appreciate these sightings (or at least they make it appear so).

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wildlif ... turtle.htm

Tim

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks for posting that. Now I know what this one is.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:06 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Nice Joe, you have yourself a ring necked snake (another creative name ;))

Tim

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:59 pm

So now I'm reading through and brushing up on my snake identification, although it doesn't seem that hard (water, ring neck, red something or other) and find out somewhere in southern NH there are timber rattlers. :shock: I always thought they were officially wiped out.

I can understand why they'd like to keep the location a secret but still sort of wish I knew where they might be. Presumably not in any highly travelled areas like the Uncanoonucs or Pawtuckaway or they'd have been found and probably captured or killed by someone. I did read they used to be in or near Bear Brook SP. Maybe they still are. Really I'd be happy if they at least said they can't tell us where they are, but here's a few places they aren't....and hpoefully that would include my favorite local southern stomping grounds.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:27 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

looks like this bad boy, fishing was good in Sebago Lake

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:31 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

"Milk" and "garter" don't fit the descriptive name patterns of the other snakes... Hmm.

Cool picture, Keith. Brown bullhead - interesting meal choice. Hard to swallow whole as it has very stiff and pointy fins (times three).

Tim

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Really not a big fan of hearing this when one of our favorite local stomping grounds is Pawtuckaway State Park. Wierd how I was just wondering about it the other day too.

:shock: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Rattle ... index.html

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:15 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Well, GG, just don't go hiking in your garage ;)
Just kidding.

The hype was pretty funny, as was the incorrect usage of "poisonous" (silly pet peeve - rattlers are venomous, not poisonous ... unless maybe you eat the head ).
OTOH, I liked the comment that there are about as many rattlesnakes in NH as donut holes in a box of munchkins :)

I guess maybe I'm jaded having spent a lot of time in Oklahoma and Florida ... but I wouldnt consider a timber rattler "extremely" dangerous...though I'd certainly be careful of one.

I'm glad the snake wasn't killed. I wonder how many mice / rats it kept out of the Woodard's home :)

I seem to remember an AT trail maintained (in Va?) extolling rattlesnakes as helping reduce Lyme incidence in the area by keeping the rodent (hence tick) population down ...

One thing I learned in the South, though - I try very very hard not to step over or put any part of my body near anything where a snake could hide, like a log or overhanging rock on a trail.

And after my hornet experience I'm paying even more attention to the ground :)

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:38 am

scooter wrote:
One thing I learned in the South, though - I try very very hard not to step over or put any part of my body near anything where a snake could hide, like a log or overhanging rock on a trail.

I was visiting friends in Texas when I was 12 and stepped over a log right onto a copperhead, but right on the head fortunately. I look twice in the south and south-west for snakes, scorpions, tarantulas etc. Just didn't think I had to worry about it around here. Just one more reason to hike in the Whites, assuming they're telling the truth about none being up there.

scooter wrote:
And after my hornet experience I'm paying even more attention to the ground :)

Yeah. It's one thing to remove a stinger. Whole different ballgame to find someone to remove the venom!

Cut and paste crummy joke here...

Two campers are hiking in the woods when one is bitten on the rear end by a rattlesnake. "I’ll go into town for a doctor," the other says.

He runs ten miles to a small town and finds the town’s only doctor, who is delivering a baby. "I can’t leave," the doctor says. ‘But here’s what to do. Take a knife, cut a little X where the bite is, suck out the poison and spit it on the ground."

The guy runs back to his friend, who is in agony. ‘What did the doctor say?" the victim asks. "He says you’re gonna die."

:lol: :lol: :roll:

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]