Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Burlington-Marshfield-Glover 2012-08-11 
Sovereign Woodsman

Burlington-Marshfield-Glover 2012-08-11
An unusual weekend, but only a little hiking so ... life in general, not Trip Reports :)

Despite a shaky weather forecast for the August 11-12 weekend, it was off to Burlington to see a reunion show of one of our favorite-ever bands, Strangefolk.

It did rain before the show - hard - but the rain cleared, the band played and it was an excellent evening on the waterfront in Burlington. A nice town - we got there so early that the parking meters were still in effect; but we had no change. I asked a passerby for change for a dollar; she just walked over and put a quarter in the meter for us. Welcome to Vermont! :)
http://preview.tinyurl.com/9fo5983

We slept over, planning a short hike and a trip to see another favorite, the Bread And Puppets circus.

So, heading toward Glover on rt 2, we spotted a covered bridge - in a field. Odd. Pulled over to check it out, turned out to be a small town park. The former farmland had been donated (by a man from NH!), and the town turned it into a park. There is a nice little viewpoint above the fields, and another trail to another viewpoint which is called the Stone Circle. A conservation project put a ring of boulders on the hill. Very aesthetically pleasing. A connector to a rail trail let us make a 1.5-2 mile loop.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/9fxhqnf

Then, it was off to eat lunch in Hardwick, a town worth visiting (but we didnt have time to explore) and then off to Glover. In its heyday the Circus drew an estimated 50,000 visitors for a two-day festival. But, unfortunately, that got out of hand and led to the troupe stopping performances for a while, and then reopening with a scaled back version of the festival. It is still a unique - and sometimes perplexing - experience.

Special appearance by Hilary Clinton -
https://vimeo.com/47697982

Misc pics -
http://tinyurl.com/bso8jb4

The Circus is scheduled to perform Sunday afternoons through August 26th. The troupe is located on a large old farm; it's a pleasant place to go early and walk around or tour the museum before the show.

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:13 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Nice pics, Scooter! My youngest brother is a huge Strangefolk fan. When he was still up here in New England he would see them several times a year. Looks like a very interesting trip. The one thing I am confused about is the mussel life cycle slide. How does a coconut bra evolve into a fish? :)

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:56 am
Sovereign Woodsman

MidState wrote:
... The one thing I am confused about is the mussel life cycle slide. How does a coconut bra evolve into a fish? :)

LOL. Glad you spotted that, when I was editing the pics I noticed it and I thought maybe my obsession was busting out and I was imagining things ...

Anyway, glad I'm not the only one ;)

Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:31 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Scooter, my friend from way back that I have been hiking with lately was at the Strangefolk show. Him and his girlfriend camped some where up there this past weekend. Ah yes, the good 'ol Bread and Puppet Circus. :D :twisted: :? I've been to a couple of those about 10 years or so ago. Also with this same friend. Very interesting to say the least. :)

Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:56 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Looks like a fun weekend. Burlington is a great city. My brother lives there and we've seriously considered moving up there. Church street is such a great place to get a bite to eat and a beer. Great pics of the concert too. We were planning on going up to the fairgrounds to see Zac Brown Band labor day weekend but my brother didn't feel like his wife would like that kind of music so we bagged it. Now I wish wed have got tickets anyhow and just left the kids with them and their cousins for the night! Such a great city for that type of stuff.

We stopped at that same park last summer driving from Burlington to the Whites. Some type of rare privately owned farm bridge if I remember right. One of a kind or something? Most or all of the others washed away over the years.

As for the circus I have no idea what's going on there but it looked interesting!

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]