Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 What would you do with two weeks? 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: What would you do with two weeks?
KellyK wrote:
if you have two weeks to spend on a vacation and money wasn't an option, how would you spend your time?

Did you mean "money was no object?" 'Cuz that's how I read it. All the other (hiking) things are neat - love to see some national parks - but if I didn't have to pay, I'd go somewhere expensive. Like chartering a boat for two weeks on top of a big air fare :D

Tim

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:39 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Haha oh man, this heat is taking its toll. Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:49 am
Sovereign Woodsman

ROAD TRIP!

Seriously, I've wanted to drive around out West exploring for a while now. Explore, mix in some hiking, rafting, etc. Needs more than 2 weeks though :D

Would love to visit a lot of the places mentioned. When are we all leaving? :lol:

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:33 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Wow, this is actually tougher than I thought it would be. A few things that came up:

London area has so much history, but I'm not a huge fan of big cities

I've always wanted to see the American Cemetery at Normandy as well as some other WWII historical areas.

Anything in Italy would be great. Northern mountains, Ducati Factory...food. I suppose Rome for a short stint.

Alaska has some great off and on road motorcycle tours.

Yes please!

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:56 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I was fortunate enough to grow up in Europe and get to see all of it, I joined the Navy to see the rest of the world, and they showed it to me and then some. Now there is only 1 place left on my "Bucket List"...

Denali National Park

Someday, Someday...

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:59 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

madmattd wrote:
ROAD TRIP!

Seriously, I've wanted to drive around out West exploring for a while now. Explore, mix in some hiking, rafting, etc. Needs more than 2 weeks though :D

Would love to visit a lot of the places mentioned. When are we all leaving? :lol:

I've done three two week trips and a 6 week trip around the west and loved every one of them. Just so much amazing stuff to see once you're across the not so great plains.

You can squeeze in quite a bit in two weeks, especially if you fly to Denver and rent a car there like we did one time but you miss South Dakota and the Black Hills, whcih are awesome. The rest of the 40 hour drive until you hit the cool stuff definitely sucks though.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:53 am
Sovereign Woodsman

If I had the whole summer, I'd get a motorhome and take the family on a national (park) tour. I'd love to hike or ride out west in some of the bigger mountains and nat'l parks.

If I had two weeks and no money ;) then I'd go to Maine and finish the 13 NEHH peaks I have left ...

Tim

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:06 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

bikehikeskifish wrote:
If I had the whole summer, I'd get a motorhome and take the family on a national (park) tour. I'd love to hike or ride out west in some of the bigger mountains and nat'l parks.

More or less what I was thinking. My family always talked about doing it, it never happened. :(

bikehikeskifish wrote:
If I had two weeks and no money ;) then I'd go to Maine and finish the 13 NEHH peaks I have left ...

Well, guess what Tim's doing this summer? :D

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:42 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

bikehikeskifish wrote:

And to anyone I know that talks about that, I always remind them to make sure to head north into the national parks of Canada. Specifically I recommend they take time to do the drive between Banff and Jasper with highlights like this from the road:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=52.218966,-1 ... .1,,0,7.86

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:56 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

El Camino de Santiago

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:40 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I only have one week so it's only half of the 13 ;)

Tim

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Actually someone mentioned Alaska and I'd have to amend my choices to there. A friend at work brought photos from his cruise there and I think I'll take my wife there for our 10th anniversary.

I usually take two weeks in the Whites every September. Fall is the best time to go. Cooler days and the bugs are clearing out.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:24 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I would (and am spending 12 days in October) spend 2 weeks in the Southwest, more specifically Southern Utah. So many amazing and beautiful places to hike, explore and photograph....

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Well…I retired a while back from driving a tractor trailer in NYC for 30 years. I moved to NH and have all the time I want. I gotta tell ya…I’m pretty bored! I try and get out into the forest about 4 to 5 days a week. But since I can’t climb anymore due to injuries, the flats are starting to get, “Been there, done it”! Bushwhacking seems to be the only thing I’d say I like to do now just about every week. The heat kinda gets to me, but as soon as it cools down, I have some big plans.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:39 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

A motorhome trip is one thing I can't wait to do when the kids get a little older. Definitely need a summer for it also. The one big regret I have from my previous trips is not getting to Glacier.

Top ten I'd like to re-visit and could easily spend the two weeks in question in...Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Grand Canyon, Sequoia, Bryce, Zion, Olympic, Rocky Mountain and the North Cascades.

Honorable mention for another ten favorite Parks/Monuments that are good for a day or so but I don't know how exactly I'd spend or even survive 2 weeks in them...Arches, Badlands, Carlsbad Caverns, Crater lake, Guadalupe Mountains, White Sands, Seguaro, Great Sand Dunes, Redwoods, Devils Tower.

And just because I don't feel like going to bed yet here's a crappy old pre-digital 35mm slide scan from each of my favorites. Damn I wish they had good cheap digital cameras 10 years ago :( Just one more reason to go back I guess! :D
The two weekers...

The one day do them all in two weeks-ers...

And I suppose while you're visiting all the great American National Parks/Momuments you should make a stop at Mt. Rushmore too. Pretty cool even though it's man-made and they destroyed a mountain to make it! 8)

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next