Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 What would you do with two weeks? 
Sovereign Woodsman

BEAUTIFUL pics GG! I so ache to get back out there!

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:57 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
but you miss South Dakota and the Black Hills, whcih are awesome.

South Dakota gets a mention, and Mt Rushmore even a pic! There's my home state (although I didn't grow up in the cool part), and my wife and I (before we were married, or even dating) worked summers at a tourist attraction in the Black Hills through most of college. Even before I discovered that I loved hiking (which isn't nearly as good there as it is in NH, don't be fooled by the elevation numbers) it was a great place to spend summer.

For me though, I'd have to add to the generic answer of Alaska/Denali. That place has for sure captured my imagination more than anywhere else.

In the 48 I'd say Glacier, which is tragic because my wife and I were just in Billings literally two weeks ago for a family thing, and literally LAST week we were SUPPOSED to be there!!! But then we had to ditch those plans due to an unrelated contingency. So close! It's ok, though, there's more to life than mountains (I guess!).

A strong honorable mention goes to the Canyonlands area of Utah. I don't know how much time I'd like to spend there, and I'm not necessarily into being 1000 miles from civilization, but the landscapes in that movie about Aron Ralston hypnotized me (although I thought the movie itself was kind of brutal to sit through).

I don't have a great desire to travel tons outside of the US, and I don't have a great desire to visit places like Nepal or Tibet for their own sake, but I suppose for worldwide it would be hard to pass up a chance to see the Himalayas. I'm not going to pretend that I'm one of those cats you'll see climbing Everest, but I'm sure it would be amazing to see it and the surrounding landscapes even from below.

Finally I'll say this -- 2 weeks off and not a lot of money right here would be pretty awesome, too. I'd be just as happy to take a few days in the White's, head up to Acadia for a couple days, and swing through Baxter for another couple and hit Khatadin. In the grand scheme I know this area doesn't hang with Denali, Glacier, Yosemite, Himalaya, Andes, etc. But again, I'm from the plains of South Dakota! I'm SO blessed to be in this amazing state and feel SO privileged for what's easily available to me.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:59 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

jdgibney wrote:
I would (and am spending 12 days in October) spend 2 weeks in the Southwest, more specifically Southern Utah. So many amazing and beautiful places to hike, explore and photograph....

'The Wave' in Coyote Buttes North, on the border of AZ/UT is probably the coolest place I've visited so far:
Lower Antelope Canyon, just outside of Page, AZ:
'Fire Wave', Valley of Fire State Park, NV:
Horseshoe Bend, Colorado River, just outside of Page, AZ:

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:47 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Awesome pictures. Definitely cool stuff.

The southwest has long been my favorite section of the country. We used to go there every chance we got, before kids of course. Now that's a bit down the road when they get a little older. I never could quite figure out if it's because the stuff there is so cool or just so different from what we have here where I grew up. Probably a little of both. Either way I love it out there. If I move away when I retire it'll be there. NO chance of me ever going to Florida.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:04 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
NO chance of me ever going to Florida.

I can't ever see retiring there myself, although they do have excellent year-round fishing ...

Tim

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:10 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Beautiful pics! I loved Antelope Canyon, but didn't like our guide too much, he creeped me out big time. Would love to get to those other places but I believe there is a lottery for that and it is difficult to get into IIRC.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:49 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

hiking lady wrote:
Beautiful pics! I loved Antelope Canyon, but didn't like our guide too much, he creeped me out big time. Would love to get to those other places but I believe there is a lottery for that and it is difficult to get into IIRC.

with Lower Antelope, we just paid a fee and they let us go at our own leisure. I haven't been to Upper yet

They do have a lotto for the Wave (Coyote Buttes North) and only let 20 in every day which is a pain. I'm hoping to go again when we're out there in October, but we didn't get in on the lotto (one more chance to get whatever isn't claimed by Sunday, hopefully there's at least a few left)...

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:27 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Granite Guy wrote:
Awesome pictures. Definitely cool stuff.

The southwest has long been my favorite section of the country. We used to go there every chance we got, before kids of course. Now that's a bit down the road when they get a little older. I never could quite figure out if it's because the stuff there is so cool or just so different from what we have here where I grew up. Probably a little of both. Either way I love it out there. If I move away when I retire it'll be there. NO chance of me ever going to Florida.

It's like another planet....

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3