Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 What would you do with two weeks? 
Sovereign Woodsman

What would you do with two weeks?
Pete and I are *hoping* to get to go on a vaca this October and are in the stages of figuring out where on earth (literally) we want to go most. There's the western US which enchanted us on our honeymoon last year....or maybe a trekking trip to Peru....or we haven't been to Europe in a while and have been watching a lot of Rick Steves lately, so maybe something east of Boston?

Anyways, I was just curious because I think the answers will be interesting - if you have two weeks to spend on a vacation and money wasn't an option, how would you spend your time?

I can only hope that we have two weeks to play with, but it seemed like a good length of time for some brainstorming!

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Marlin fishing off the Great Barrier Reef :) Or maybe Kona... been there once but not for fishing (honeymoon.) Or Costa Rica.

Tim

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:16 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Denali National Park in Alaska although I guess October is a little late in the season for that. :cry:

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:27 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'd love to spend two weeks in New York's Adirondack Park in October.
Haven't been there since 2010. So many wonderful destinations in that vast area. :)

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:33 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Haha season nonwithstanding. Just, if given the chance, where would you go? Not so much to get ideas for our trip, just curious what other people view as the idea vacation :)

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:50 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Any day not at work is a good thing, no matter where it is. 8)

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:49 pm

tough call but I would go to New Zealand. In the 48, I would hit the Grand Canyon or Carlsbad Caverns.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:53 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Hawaii! Scandanavia (I'm Scandanavian)! Switzerland, Austria, Costa Rica, Peru, scotland or Ireland, france, or the best option of all NEW HAMPSHIRE!!! Besides it will be foliage season and PERFECT Hiking or Biking weather!!!!!!

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:04 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Definitely the UK
So much history and hiking thru the Highlands would be awesome.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:45 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

So many options. Have always wanted to go to Italy. We had our honeymoon in Cozumel and I would love to go back with more time to explore the island. One day I would like to hike Hadrean's Wall in the UK.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Owl's Head! :D

JK. Probably somewhere in Alaska. I would love to fly a small plane and see the vast landscape. To try the Iditarod would be awesome too and two weeks should be almost enough time to complete it. :D

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Not that imaginative, but I have been jonesing for the Sierras. My backpack there last summer was simply amazing and I can't wait to get back. Ah, but then there is Glacier and the Canadian Rockies, the Dolomites in the Alps look just incredible, and Alaska is also on the list. So many places to go. If only I had the money...

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:22 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Two weeks huh? I'm kind of a "homebody" for the US of A and don't have much desire to go to other countries and continents until I've worn this one out, with the exception of Europe for all the history and art they have there. That said I can think of a three trips I'd love to make for two weeks. They'd involve camping, hiking, rafting food/drink etc.

Number one would have to be Yosemite and Sequoia Kings Canyon. That chunk of the high sierra is probably my favorite place on earth out of all I've been to so far and I'd love to spend more time there. Yosemite Valley is always stunning to look at and explore, climb Half Dome up the cables, hike to the big waterfalls, do some rafting, then drive a few hours to climb to the top of the 48 up Mount Whitney, and visit the Giant Seqoias. There's nothing like wandering through the Giant Forest at sunrise. It's so hard to wrap your mind around the size, age and beauty of those things. I might do it in the reverse order so I could then drive a few more hours to San Francisco/Napa and drink my weight in great wine and then head south down the coast to the Big Sur area. That little triangle right there would be my two week dream trip.

Second would be back to Yellowstone and the Tetons again. Way more than two weeks worth of awesome stuff to do there and Jackson Hole is a great diversion for a couple days, but just a couple 'cause I'd go broke after that.

Third I'd head back to Utah and canyon country. A big loop with a few days each at Canyonlands, Arches, Bryce and Zion. Less food and drink around there, maybe Salt Lake City is fun but I don't know as I've never been.

There's lots of other places I'd love to visit and revist like Carlsbad Caverns as someone mentioned, just not sure what I'd do for a full two weeks in Whites City New Mexico once I saw the caverns for a fourth time and watched the bats fly as the food and accomodations are terrible in that one horse town. Anywhere you have to get microwaved gas station burritos for luch is off my two week long list! :wink:

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:04 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

In June I spent a week in Cali to climb Shasta. If I had 2 weeks I'd go for Baker, Hood and Rainier : ) maybe it'd take longer but it's all hypothetical anyway

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:04 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

So many places I want to visit, I haven't seen nearly as much of our great country as I'd like. If I had two weeks, I'd probably split it up between Yosemite and the San Francisco area. If I had a THIRD week then I'd do New Zealand (I feel like 2 weeks wouldn't be enough with the time change). I've never been west of Texas, though I've been east of Boston (to Europe) several times.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next