Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Finally got then wife to ok a two overnighter & I want t 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Finally got then wife to ok a two overnighter & I want t
Finally got the wife to ok a two nighter and I want to Impress her, where should we go??? I've got two nights in a tent with my wife. I hike a lot and want her to join me. She can do 3 miles easily, 5 is tough. want views, sunsets, sunrises, tenting and in the range of 4 to 7 miles a day. I want to make it a habit for her like it is with me.Where is the magic, where do we go????

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:22 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Liberty springs trail AMC tent site. It has platforms. Close acces to Mt. Liberty for sunset/sunrise. Then a liesurely hike along the franconia ridge. That ridge is where there is some serious magic. A lot of people hike this in warmer seasons, but there is a reason for it.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:29 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Has she only hiked on relatively flat trails? Bagged any peaks? If not (and in general) I'd be careful of pushing her too hard and pickiingn a trip that is too challenging. That is the best way to turn someone off (well depending on their personality-- if you're like me it might add to the interest/challenge, but that doesn't sound like your wife). Also, how much weight will she be carrying? Does she have experience with a heavy pack, or are you shouldering all the gear? Folks can give better advice if we have a better picture of her abilities.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:38 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

The elevation gain is usually more of a problem for people than mileage. Mount Washington is within your 5 mile limit but I wouldn't recommend it for a relative beginner. As others said what has she done before? Also when do you plan to go? Don't take her in bug season if you want her to go back! :wink:

Without knowing that information I'll suggest this as a spectacular loop, which are hard to come by fitting those parameters, unless you're spotting a car. Take the Piper trail up to Camp Pennacook on Chocorua and set up your tent there for the night. That place has good views out from the shelter area of Conway, stars at night and sunrises. If you wanted you could get an early start and hike half a mile or so until you're above treeline for the sunrise. That would be a great spot for a spectacular show. After summiting Chocorua head over to Middle Sister and take either the Middle Sister trail or Carter Ledge trail down to the White Ledge campground for night two. Carter Ledge has one tricky spot she might not like so MS might be the better option. If she still has it in her the next morning you could get up early and head up White Ledge to catch the sunrise or just for a nice day trip and then loop back to the car. If she's had enough after that second night it's only a mile walk along 16 back to your car. You might be able to park your car at the campground on day one and walk that road mile to the Piper trail first instead of last. It's pretty flat and not a big deal either way. Might make a nice warm up. Then go for a nice cleansing/refreshing swim in Lake Chocorua on the way home with amazing views of where she just went.

IMO that'd be a hard to beat moderate loop and if that trip doesn't get her hooked it's probably not going to be her thing. Chocorua is just an awesome mid sized mountain with Big Mountain feel and views.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:44 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Both those trips sound very good! Chocora trip might be the one for her. She's an early riser. She has done hiking in the belknaps. Most of those are about one mile to one and a half one way and not a lot of elevation. She did go up Lafayette for flags on the Eleventh two years ago. That has been considered a major accomplishment. We went to Lonesome lake huts for a day hike and she liked that. A nice long rest before we headed down. I will take basically all the weight except her water , clothes and maybe some food.Giving a real challenge will not be the way to go. It's not in her DNA!

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]