Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What would you do with $540,000,000.00 ?? 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

What would you do with $540,000,000.00 ??
Not that it matter because I'm sure I have the winning ticket so you're out of luck :wink: but what on earth would you do if you won Mega Millions tonight?

I already have my RV picked out and my route to all my favorite National Parks that I want to revisit picked out. I'm probably going to add in a few more of the major ones that I've missed like Glacier and Big Bend. I figure it should take me a good year or so to properly hike, explore and photograph all of them. After that I'll be buying condos near my favorite places so I can visit whenever I like and not have to worry about maintenence and pesky stuff like that. Then I'm thinking a yacht might be in order to get me to and from the Islands and maybe even Europe. After that I'll build my estate right here in NH, probably in the White's somewhere on a mountainside, and then continue my hiking ways.

Anyone else dreaming out there?? :D

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:29 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I always liked the area in Ferncroft right around the trailheads personally. Seems like a good spot to target GG ;)

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:10 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Just bought my two tickets!

I'm thinking a little time off to travel the country - definitely a John Muir Trail trek. Might as well pepper an annual Europe trip in there for good measure. I would buy a house - that would be nice. I could buy a house with a dishwasher and a barn for Pete to do his workworking man stuff in. I would buy organic milk more often. And MAYBE I would splurge for a pair of snowshoes with televators ;)

As long as I can live comfortably in a house that doesn't have water stains all over the ceilings and squirrels in the walls, can send my kids to college, and have some freedom to travel more I think I'd be happy. The rest would go to non-profits. Set up a foundation, develop a competitive grant process, and accept applications. I imagine it would be a lot easier/fun to give out grants than apply for them (my job now).

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:34 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I think someone on the evening news last night said it best: "You stand a better chance of becoming the President of the United States than winning." :lol:

If I won, I would make sure the money would be evenly divided among the six members of my family, some of whom are currently struggling to get by financially.

Another place where I'd use the lottery money is for land acquisition. Years ago, I received a form letter from Baxter State Park's former Park Director Buzz Caverly asking for donations toward the purchase of 4,040 acres including Katahdin Lake, thus expanding the park and preserving thousands of acres of old growth and late successional forests. I think that would be a cool way to invest some of my huge lottery winnings. 8)

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:19 pm

woods dweller wrote:
I think someone on the evening news last night said it best: "You stand a better chance of becoming the President of the United States than winning." :lol:

Well, they haven't met me. :roll:

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:25 pm

I guess I'll continue with my hiking, but the RV, Condo's and estate planning will have to wait. :cry: Thought for sure I had the right ticket this time. :(

Now about this president thing. In May I hit the minimum age requirement, but I don't know who in their right mind would want that job.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:10 am
Sovereign Woodsman

When I bought my tickets at noon the jackpot was up to 640,000! Wow. I am pretty confident that the fantasy of winning would have been better than the reality of it, just as most "ideas" in life seem so perfect in one's head until it comes to fruition and is somehow oh so different.

Given that, I would have if I had won, would have helped out family and friends (probably easier said than done), as well as donated a slew to charity. I also would have traveled for a while, however heck with the RV, I would have bought a leer jet and hired our friend who is a private pilot for the rich to fly us around.

I think having that much money however would be quite stressful, especially if everyone knew! Your life would change so much and I think not necessarily for the good. I think I'd become paranoid that everyone is trying to rip me off, or I also would be worried about my safety as strange as that sounds. Desperate people will do desperate things to get money. I would probably want to move or go into seclusion!

My small hike today was worth more than the jackpot I believe, it turned the sour mood I was in into a good mood and made me appreciate living in NH! Now that to me is worth more than money!

Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:04 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I would buy a mega satellite with fricken lasers on it and start vaporizing from above those things that piss me off the most starting with:

Wind farms/turbines
Mass. drivers who use the left hand lane for travel instead of for passing (what is up with that!?)
Every McDonald's from here to eternity
People who walk through a held open door without saying "Thank you"

But that of course is just a start. :wink:

Brian

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
Mass. drivers who use the left hand lane for travel instead of for passing (what is up with that!?)

Got news for ya Brian, they do that in EVERY state. Well, maybe in NH they're better, but every other state I've been in this is the norm. People doing 50 in a 65 in the left lane... :twisted:

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:40 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
I would buy a mega satellite with fricken lasers on it and start vaporizing...every McDonald's from here to eternity

Hey Hey Hey now. I can't remember ever eating at a McDonalds...honestly. BUT, they do have a quick-easy-in-and-out CLEAN bathroom in Lincoln that we stop at frequently.

:roll:

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:46 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm honestly not sure that I'd want it -- but like Granite Guy said, if it's a choice between millions and being President, I guess I'd take it!

Seriously, my wife and I aren't "rich" per se by modern American standards, but we're very comfortable and within reason do and have whatever we want (we don't have super expensive taste, which helps). We should have our home paid for by around the time we're 40-42 or so, we're funding our retirement (I have no idea if we're funding "enough," probably not by financial planner standards, but we started fairly early in life and I feel good about it, especially if we manage to get the home paid for), and I'm already getting paid (albeit not a lot, my wife's the "primary breadwinner") to do the one thing in the world that I want to give my life to. And just last month my parents bought their retirement home! So I'm in no way trying to be all "anti-money" -- it's just that we have enough, and I think that Hiking Lady is right that millions would bring more problems than solutions.

But still, I'd take it over being President any day!

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:01 am

Kathy wrote:
New Hampshire wrote:
I would buy a mega satellite with fricken lasers on it and start vaporizing...every McDonald's from here to eternity

Hey Hey Hey now. I can't remember ever eating at a McDonalds...honestly. BUT, they do have a quick-easy-in-and-out CLEAN bathroom in Lincoln that we stop at frequently.

:roll:

Believe me, I would be doing EVERYONE a favor....besides, I would replace them all with Arby's......what I would give for an Arby's in Lincoln! :D

Brian

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
Believe me, I would be doing EVERYONE a favor....besides, I would replace them all with Arby's......what I would give for an Arby's in Lincoln! :D

Brian

OK, an Arby's in Lincoln would be sweet.

Is this plan a part of this year's trail magic scheme?

For Kathy: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/bridges/ See top-right links.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:52 pm

madmattd wrote:
New Hampshire wrote:

Brian

OK, an Arby's in Lincoln would be sweet.

Is this plan a part of this year's trail magic scheme?

For Kathy: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/bridges/ See top-right links.

I'd probably blow it up on behalf of Bill & Bob's. :evil: Doesn't get any better than that! If however Arby's rubber meat somehow ran them out of business I'd have to remove them from the map! :wink:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:10 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Ok, I recognize I'm now contributing to magnificent thread drift. But I would have never thought I'd write what follows:

McDonalds has come a long, LONG way for grown-up food. They were always my last choice for fast-food, but their angus burgers are among the tastiest and best quality drive-through burgers around (especially since In-N-Out ain't exactly "around," but I digress) and the coffee's quite good for the price as well. Of course the fries that they built their empire on went to crap when they started using healthier frying fat, but I'd take a good burger over good fries any day, personally.

Sad side -- over the last 10 or so years, I feel like Arby's has gone south. I really never thought I'd say this -- but today I'd choose McD's over Arby's. If it's really been that long, maybe give the arches another chance if you're not opposed to fast-food just on principle.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next