Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Found A Good Tick Preventative 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Found A Good Tick Preventative
On my last hike up Mt Wachusett, I ran into another hiker who had his dog with him. We got to talking about the dogs and the topic of ticks came up. He suggested using cedar oil, which can be picked up at holistic (why is that not spelled wholistic??) medicine centers. And as it turns out, he got his right down the street from where my wife works in Sturbridge. This past weekend, Kristin picked up a 16oz bottle of Wondercide Evolv and I coated Letta with it Sunday morning (not the whole bottle). My yard is pretty much a hotbed for ticks. Letta always comes in and I have to pick a few off of her. Since I have applied the Evolv, there have been no ticks attached to her. I have taken 2 walkers off and that's it. We have also gone for a couple real quick hikes and nothing. Frontline and other ones we have found at the vet and Petco have had no effect in keeping ticks off her, but this stuff has really done the trick so far. It says to give her a weekly application and I think I probably have enough for a month-and-a-half to two-month supply. For only $26, I think it was. Those of you with four-legged hiking buddies may want to check this stuff out. The company website is here: http://www.wondercide.com/.

Eric

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:00 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I use something similar on my dog-- Cedarcide. Just cedar wood oil in a spray. But you really have to use it every morning. In two years I've found 3 ticks on her. Not bad, and totally non-toxic. Smells good too. She's not wild about it but tolerates it. I use it occasionally too.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:03 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Just to point out, Frontline is not meant to repel ticks. It kills ticks once they attach, preventing the transfer of Lyme.

I use Advantix II on my dog...it claims to prevent as well as kill. The kill part is correct, the preventative is minimal and usually ineffective a week or two after the application.

I'd try the cedar oil but the scent is an issue for me. I'm training a wire-haired pointer right now and his nose is everything. I don't want to mask any scent with the oil. We spend virtually every day bushwhacking through the woods trying to find grouse and woodcock. Ticks are just part of the game unfortunately.....

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:16 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Thanks I'll give it a try also. My dog has had lyme disease twice, me once, my son once, each of my parents, and so on. It is a real problem here in CT. I do use front line on the dog, but it wold be nice to have a repellant also.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:46 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

mojo wrote:
I'd try the cedar oil but the scent is an issue for me.

There is definitely a scent with this. Hopefully the retailer will let you take a whiff before purchasing so you can make a judgement.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:06 am
Sovereign Woodsman

rock quarrie wrote:
It is a real problem here in CT.

Seems to be on the rise here too. After the last 2 hikes I did on the Holyoke Range (this week and the week before) I came home with the little buggers on my pants.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:46 pm

I plucked 5 off of me on a recent hike up Mt. Tekoa in Westfield Ma. They are out there for sure.

When I was a little kid, I nevered worried about ticks in the woods behind my house. Nowadays, I carry a spare set of clothes to change in at the trailhead and do a through tick check before even opening the car.

Times change

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:49 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks for posting this. I've been searching for a good tick repellant for a year now. I hike with my dog in the woods behind my house all the time and we stop every 15 minutes or so to brush the little buggers off us. They seem to be thriving around here, and lately they've been immensly tiny, I think they're newly hatched...gross.

I stopped using advantix because I got sick of paying hundreds for something that, for all intents and purposes, is basically useless, no matter what the vet says. I've used a few different brands in the past and all of them do nothing.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:36 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

SilentCal wrote:
a recent hike up Mt. Tekoa in Westfield Ma

Man, that stirs up some memories. When my brother and I lived in Westfield, we used to hike up Tekoa quite a bit. We'd park the car at the Woronoco Paper Mills and find this (somewhat) blazed trail across the railroad tracks and under a power line. We'd go up there at dusk, watch the sun go down and view all the cars going across the Turnpike bridge below us. An old Mass/RI Trail Guide warned us about rattlesnakes up there, but we never saw any.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:33 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I'll have to try this for my dog. We've all been COVERED In ticks this past weekend! GROSS!!!

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:19 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Thanks for the info - I will be trying that this year as well on my poochie.
Sara

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:40 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Is there a monthly treatment for humans?
We treat our dogs with Frontline and it works great- they hardly ever get ticks on them at all; and when they do, the ticks die quickly. The only problem is that I get dozens of ticks on me, on almost every day out. Wouldn't it be great to drop a little stuff n the back of your neck once a month, and not have to worry about it? Anybody have any ideas?

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:11 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I have heard that garlic is supposed to be a good tick repellent. Can't say I have ever changed my diet to test this, but my dog sure does get a lot more ticks than I do on our hikes.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]