Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Rudeness in the retail store 
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

bikehikeskifish wrote:
You know, I have found you get what you give. I always ask the other person (clerk, tech support, customer service, etc.) how they are doing, and often tell them my name. It's remarkable how quickly you can get a smile and from there things go uphill.

Tim

Here, here. My experience in a nutshell, with some notable exceptions. (Can't win em all). It's fun to be nice to strangers.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:24 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Jaytrek57 wrote:
I like putting things in other people's shopping carts...makes life more enjoyable.

:lol:

That sounds like it could be hilarious! :lol: Especially if you can watch them at the check out counter.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:08 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

My pet peeve. You are waiting in line at the grocery store. Buffy is ahead of you will a full cart. After she empties the cart at a glacial pace and all the food items are scanned and placed in bags and stacked in the cart by the bagger, Buffy then decides it might be time to rummage through her gigantic purse for her checkbook. Arrrrggggg!!!

Or, while Buffy is paying and little Snotley/Bratley is in the cart bored out of her/his mind, they proceed to play with all your food items that have been placed right next to them because the f**king conveyor belt continues to run. Arrrggg!!!

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:22 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

TrishAlexSage wrote:
I have to constantly tell my own kids to back away from other people's grocery carts. They talk to each other and don't pay attention, and they don't realize they're infringing on someone else's personal space.

Yes, but they're kids...it's not intentional, but more importantly, it's not that they're oblivious to the rest of the world!

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:11 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

bikehikeskifish wrote:
You know, I have found you get what you give. I always ask the other person (clerk, tech support, customer service, etc.) how they are doing, and often tell them my name. It's remarkable how quickly you can get a smile and from there things go uphill.

Tim

Oh, it's not the staff. Some of those people are saints!

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:12 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

P/B wrote:
My pet peeve. You are waiting in line at the grocery store. Buffy is ahead of you will a full cart. After she empties the cart at a glacial pace and all the food items are scanned and placed in bags and stacked in the cart by the bagger, Buffy then decides it might be time to rummage through her gigantic purse for her checkbook. Arrrrggggg!!!

Or, while Buffy is paying and little Snotley/Bratley is in the cart bored out of her/his mind, they proceed to play with all your food items that have been placed right next to them because the f**king conveyor belt continues to run. Arrrggg!!!

W-O-W!! :shock: Guess it's really not just me!!! I'll add another...with an exception. Little old people ~ I give them lots of leeway. Seriously. One of my favorites is the exact change person. Can't remember which comedian did a bit on this (Brian Regan maybe?) about the exact change monster. "Like they're gonna get the exact change award or sumthin..." C'mon!!

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:15 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

One additional point, in my earlier scenario, Buffy is of course on her cell phone the entire time.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:55 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

P/B wrote:

I'll add when they get in the lines fartest away from the tobacco products and then ask for 5 cartons of cigs. Steam probably starts to come out of my ears when the clerk has to walk the length of the store to collect all the smokes the person wants. If you want to buy tobacco, go wait in line at the lane that actually has tobacco!!

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:22 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
P/B wrote:

I'll add when they get in the lines fartest away from the tobacco products and then ask for 5 cartons of cigs. Steam probably starts to come out of my ears when the clerk has to walk the length of the store to collect all the smokes the person wants. If you want to buy tobacco, go wait in line at the lane that actually has tobacco!!

OR...this drives me CRAZY when they open up a new register b/c the others are so busy and they take the person from the end of the line...the person who has waited the LEAST amount of time!

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:58 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Kathy wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
P/B wrote:

OR...this drives me CRAZY when they open up a new register b/c the others are so busy and they take the person from the end of the line...the person who has waited the LEAST amount of time!

Or worse still for me is when they open the new register and ask for the next person in line but almost always a person in the back will rush over there like a total a-hole. :evil:

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:08 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

It's even worse working at a retail store, because I have to deal with 8-10 hour shifts biting my tongue and trying not to throw people through the wall. I smile and always greet people, but they glare down at the counter, carefully avoiding eye contact, talk to me as if I am a moron, and when it comes time to hand me money, they toss it onto counter next to my outstretched, upturned hand. And since I am a nice, polite person who values good customer service no matter how much of a social misfit the customer is, I kindly count out the change, toss is back onto the counter, and curtly tell them "thank you" as I turn and walk away. After all, that must be the type of service they're looking for since that's how they treated me.

And has anyone noticed that a hiking trail is the only place you will get an answer when you say hello to someone passing by? I always say hi to people as I'm walking my dog, and they stare straight ahead, trying very hard to pretend I don't exist. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was putting you so far out of your comfort zone by expecting a polite answer to my greeting. Next time I will awkwardly stare at the emptiness in front of me and pretend no one can see me in my own little bubble of insecurity.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:55 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

This thread, and comments about "people these days" kinda reminds me of this tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDcbO2bRxhg

People aren't really more rude. They have just found new ways to be rude that we are not used to. We interpret that new rudeness as a cumulative increase in rudeness when really its about the same as before.

Its like how sports injuries don't really decrease when you add more safety gear -- people just hit harder than before because now they can. Go watch an NHL game from the 70s with no helmets/less padding VS today and tell me which ones hit harder. I call it risk exchange.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:13 am
Sovereign Woodsman

There are certainly MORE people around to be rude, so even if the individual rudeness coefficient has not changed, the multiplier certainly has. Combined with more ways to be rude, online etc., and more things to be grumpy about (recession), I think there is definitely an increase in rudeness.

I had an interesting and related observation today that I will share. While riding my bike to work today, I caught the eye of a driver, as I often do, wanting to come out of a side street. She smiled at me, and I smiled back, and after I passed, she came out and passed me and we both waved hello. After she passed, I noticed she had a "Take A Hike" (Long Trail) sticker on the back of her vehicle :D

I once visited Telluride for a week - my girlfriend at the time had family, and I just went for the flyfishing. Everyone in that town greeted me warmly and asked where I was from.

Tim

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:27 am
Sovereign Woodsman

One thing that does get to me, but I realize clerks have no control over this, or waiters and waitresses is upselling, or trying to get me to apply for a credit card, call a survey number on the receipt, order dessert, this, that. I have gotten to the point where I want to put my hand up before they even collect my order and state: I don't want the credit card, the survey, the blah, buying 2 for one, donating to this charity or that, etc. UGh... I realize the person is being watched and scored to be sure they are doing this, but I just can't stand it. Really turns me off.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:57 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Oh, I dunno - maybe I'm shopping at the wrong (or right) places, but this stuff isn't happening to me any more than ever, and in fact I think people at the market are nicer these days, especially staffers. That said, I almost always have a preschooler or two with me, and that may soften the blow. Parents get concerned looks an awful lot (or perceive them), but in my experience, never words.

The rudest thing I experienced at a market was a whistled tune from another patron, directed, I realized too late, at a pair of Latino workers stocking shelves nearby. The whistle was meant to reveal the whistler's own racism, and maybe cause a smirk from like-minded folk nearby. Were it not for my own child sitting in the cart, I might have displayed some rudeness to this individual myself.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next